• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cousin Just Attempted Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytai

MyPTSD Pro
I just got a phone call that my cousin attempted suicide. She OD'd like I did. She told her mom that she was suicidal, and ASKED to go to the hospital, my aunt told her no she was fine and to just take a shower. I'm so upset, she's not ok. The drugs she took can cause a lot of damage to her body. It's very triggering. I emailed T, but haven't heard from her yet. I can't go see her because she's too far away and I don't drive anymore, and I don't have anyone who can take me.

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin, @mytai. I'm glad she was found and that there can be treatment done. I would imagine there is actually nothing you could do at the hospital (although I really, really understand the impulse to want to be there) right now, and you may end up accidentally seeing your aunt, which I'd think would be very stressful. Do you pray or meditate? You could send your cousin support that way.

Wish I had something better to offer - but please, let yourself take care of you right now. I'm glad you wrote to your T. Thinking of you.

@joeylittle I was like her mom for a whole year when I lived near her. I was the one she turned to. I don't care if my aunt would be there, it's about my cousin. T emailed back to try to remind me that I'm ok, and I really need to focus on myself right now. Especially after this weekend. I responded back and told her I'm not ok. Might call into a crisis line to talk to someone, don't want to call and bug T right now because I just saw her all weekend for group, and then saw her this afternoon for our regular appointment.

@mytai, a crisis line is a great idea. And I am so sorry all this is happening. If your T is OK with you reaching out to her in crisis, and you dont' get what you need from the crisis line, then don't worry about 'bugging' her, just call her.

Taking care of yourself right now is the best thing you can do for your cousin - you will want to be strong for her. Keep posting here, too. Do you need help problem-solving how you can get to the hospital eventually?

It's too late in the evening to call T now, she shuts her ringer off after a certain time. I emailed back and forth with her a bit, obviously it didn't fix things, but it helps to know she knows and is there. That helps more than talking to the people on the crisis line, I know they try and they are nice but they aren't T and everything seems so scripted with them - like they have a standard reply for everything. At least T is authentic with me.

I don't need help problem solving. It's not possible for me to go down and see her because of distance and lack of transportation and money. If she gets transferred to the psych hospital in my city, which is a possibility once she is medically stable, then I can go see her.

@HollyBeans27 I'm not doing the greatest today. T has emailed me twice today to check in, which I appreciate. I tried to call the hospital twice to speak with her but couldn't get in touch and now I'm just too emotionally drained to try again. That sounds selfish, but I'm trying to listen to my T and focus on me and my healing right now. And I need to watch that I don't push myself into a place where I'm in too deep emotionally and get to a really dark place. This situation is triggering enough as it is, and has set off a slew of emotional reactions, as well as flashbacks to my own attempts and what lead to those, as well as nightmares.

I want to be there for her so she knows I love her no matter what, but I can't do that if I'm not ok.

@Neverthesame I hope she will too. I really hope that she will get enough support in there and they will actually work with her to create better resources if a situation comes up again where someone doesn't take her seriously when she asks for help. I doubt anyone but her mother is stupid enough to ignore an outright cry for help, a request to be taken to the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back