• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other CPTSD = Borderline?

@Charbella They use the letters and since no one knows EUPD yet, it does not yet have the sting of BPD. Once it does they can change it again.
I say bullshit to that. Not everyone knows that borderline personality has all the negative traits it does but anyone who can read would know emotionally unstable.

I mean seriously, almost all mental health diseases are associated with being emotionally unstable, by giving it that name you might as well say the person is absolutely bonkers and you shouldn’t bother making friends with them because they’d be too emotionally unstable to maintain it. Which is not true at all but certainly what way too many people would assume.

@Charbella okay, good point. I think borderline is easily tossed around these days almost on par with NPD, but EUPD isn’t an upgrade and immediately “outs” someone with it. Kind of reminds me of Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Or Reactive Attachment Disorder. Where I work kids don’t get those labels anymore—it’s pretty much all autism and adhd. But if a kid had a label of ODD or RAD you can bet we would think twice before accepting them—huge stigma with those.

Having DID (for them and I would wager for a good number of others) has less stigma than BPD.
in my strictly personal circles, my unwillingness to learn all the latest acronyms and symptom lists has been interpreted as stigma more than once. when do i get to believe in my recovery in the verbage in which it occurred way back in the last millennium when people were still smarter than their phones?

i don’t see them as the same but bpd as maybe a subtype of cptsd. this is because people with cptsd can have trauma from adulthood primarily (you can be in a prison camp for years as an adult for ex, this meets criteria in ICD), and also not everyone with cptsd will have the borderline attachment presentation even if their childhood was the source of their cptsd, as Friday notes some will be dismissive-avoidant and a hallmark of BPD is fearful-avoidance. i think developmental trauma and complex trauma shouldn’t be equated the way many have done because people who endured long-term interpersonal trauma as adults will develop cptsd.

This has been rolling around in my head lately and I want to lay it out and examine it with help from y’all. I have heard more than once (no sources) that some clinicians put CPTSD and Borderline in the same category. As in, they are two words for the same thing.
I'm a bit late on this one! Do you mind if I throw it into AI with the above quote and 'Rose White'?

I've always been skeptical of the CPTSD diagnosis, because so far, the only actual differences between CPTSD and PTSD are relational and fixed/stable. Those are within the realm of a personality disorder, not PTSD. It's also why people claim to have CPTSD from non-crit A events, because they adopted this raised-by-narcissists lingo to describe object instability following formative emotional abuse. It strikes me as perpetuating the stigma of personality disorders by claiming anyone who has trauma actually must have something else (even though trauma is well-known to be causative for PDs).

The problem with it now for me - with it being this kind of is it/isn’t it diagnosis, is that it can either mean CPTSD in the way it’s intended to be potentially diagnosed OR as a direct renaming of BPD.

So it’s in this territory when in lots of cases, the diagnosis is or should be BPD but people have replaced it with CPTSD because of the stigma. Which does neither category of people any actual favours.

It’s just a confused jumble and I really think it needs to be taken out of play until a clear set of criteria go in the DSM.

We have ICD 11 here as the main diagnostic coding tool, so CPTSD is differentiated from the 'non c' version. It's EUPD here too rather than BPD, it was changing as I was still nursing and the general consensus among med colleagues was it was supposedly meant to lessen stigma... but was doing the opposite.

There was HUGE stigma attached to PD from nurses and drs themselves, even the policies, look at the SIM model that NHS England tried to adopt until massive public backlash- it was horrendous.

There are a few very easy venn diagrams online that try and separate the symptoms, but much overlap.

i don’t agree that cptsd is just renamed personality disorder and am happy it’s finally in the icd-11 as its own thing. i do think the new icd-11 approach to personality disorders is interesting and maybe helps destigmatize. they got rid of the individual disorders and now it’s just a designation of severity. i think this was because there was so much overlap? although there is still a “borderline” qualifier due to some arguments, there is now just “pereonality disorder.” i feel like the dsm won’t do that, though. cptsd might reach a dsm revision but i don’t think they’ll collapse the pds into one major disorder.

Back