• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Daughter won’t go to therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to keep communication open and forcing anything I believe would shut that down.
Sometimes, asking okay, and then when you get the proforma response, asking again, just so the person knows you're listening, if they want to talk, and their well-being is still on your mind...makes a difference.

Like, you mentioned you're getting triggered by this - are you okay? Are you talking this stuff through with your own T?

Try and be gentle with yourself. And each other.

Like, you mentioned you're getting triggered by this - are you okay? Are you talking this stuff through with your own T?

I am doing better. I was not ok for the first couple weeks. I have found my footing at the moment. And, yes I am working through stuff with my own therapist. There are many layers to everything that is going on. I am taking things a day at a time.
This may not make sense but I in a way was knocked down because I thought me being abused was enough for one family. I thought knowing the things I know I would be able to keep my children safe. Her trauma is different and I know this but I am just trying to process these things.

Sometimes one just really misses the age where you can just pick them up, and strap them in the car seat, amirite???

Upside to all of this? She’s asserting herself. First in asking about therapy then in refusing to go. She’s finding her own way. If she was a blank eyed, biddable, led by the hand, shell of herself; she’d be in a lot more trouble IME, even if a lot easier to deal with. Sometimes a little bit o’fire and attitude, or energetic wailing and drama, or resolute back-up-off-me :shifty: ...makes getting shit started take longer... but predicts far better outcomes.

Sometimes one just really misses the age where you can just pick them up, and strap them in the car seat, amirite??
Yes! It was so much easier when they were little.
Sometimes a little bit o’fire and attitude, or energetic wailing and drama, or resolute back-up-off-me :shifty: ...makes getting shit started take longer... but predicts far better outcomes.
Thank you for this. I 100% agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back