• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Did you choose a specific breed of dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three Newfoundlands, as I fell in love with the breed when I rescued a Newfie mix from the shelter. He passed too soon, so I got a Newfie puppy and then another and then another. I absolutely love the breed as I am a water rat and love to hike and they are great companions. They can be couch potatoes, so making sure they exercise is really important. Also, shedding is crazy as is the slobber. If you are meticulous about house keeping forget this breed. They have to be groomed daily.

They aren't service dogs, but are amazingly attuned to my own emotional and physical conditions. Right now I am living in a camper with all three of them, due to COVID and my need to be isolated. They have their own room, except for Molly as she stays with me, unless she isn't dry, which is a lot of the time.

They are friendly, but protective when they need to be. Mostly they are just large, hairy, love bugs. Not a breed for everyone as they can be expensive even in regard to preventive medications due to their size, the need to be groomed and as they age, the health conditions that can arise in giant breed dogs.

Great breed of dogs, but definitely do research to make sure you don't get one as their are a lot of health issues and a reputable breeder is essential.

that said, I can't think of anyone who's tried to get a Boxer through the program - that would be hands down the funnest doggo to try and wrangle into a serious SD!!).

My used to be mod on youtube had a Boxer SD and she was looking at another Boxer for her next SD when a health issue got her SD and took him out very fast and unexpected. Because of that and some bullying from another handler she left youtube but I got to hear all about how well that dog preformed as a SD. She trained him herself. Not sure id personally get a Boxer for a SD but she was all set on them as SDs.

Right now I am living in a camper with all three of them, due to COVID and my need to be isolated.

How do Newfies do with small spaces? I'm looking at the breed due to mobility support SD as many get them for that but I live in an 850 sq foot apartment. I run my current service dog daily (a pitbull who is high energy) in a field next to the apartment complex and so I am used to running a dog daily for as long as it takes to poop them out. If they are exercised well, do they do ok in a small space? Just the one and my current SD. The newfie will be working as well as exercised. If I get a newfie that is.

Last edited:
@lostforgottensoul Right now the camper on many acres if fenced property so they have plenty of running all day and swimming in the creek. The one thing a Newfie doesn't tolerate is heat. The colder the better, so mine like to lay in AC in the summer, but when it is zero or below, they love it. Also a lot of winter swimming.

Because of your mobility issues, you might want to check into what breeds are the best suited for that type of work.

Because of your mobility issues, you might want to check into what breeds are the best suited for that type of work.

Oh, yeah, I am. Which is why I am looking at bigger and more hefty breeds.

The one thing a Newfie doesn't tolerate is heat

Probably a no go for Florida then. That's also why the Saint Bernard and Bermise Moutian Dog are off the list. Wondering about Swiss Moutian Dogs though since they have shorter coats.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say I really didn't mean to be dismissive or anything. I never meant to imply there's anything "wrong" with mixes or that only a limited number of pure breeds are suitable for SD work. Really didn't.

I personally know absolutely awesome unusual breeds and mixes that are excellent SDs! And absolutely, with proper training, most dogs <can> be good and great SDs.

And as Sideways has mentioned, there's also always the personal factor that needs to be considered.

However, when someone is looking for a SD prospect, I think it is prudent to point out that there might be certain drawbacks with a specific breed or a gamble (rescues, mixes, designer breeds which genetically really are mixes) or a breed just isn't appropriate for what they're looking for task-wise or as a SD in general, unless the personal factor really outweighs that. Again, SDs, as opposed to "mere" pet dogs, are lifelines for their handlers - so if it washes, they'll end up having "wasted" a lot of money and have to go through the whole process of training again, meaning more time they can't rely on a SD with all the implications etc.

Personal breed preference absolutely should be considered because it is gonna be a family member after all (there's just breeds I'd never have, for example), but a SD is also and first and foremost medical equipment. If breed preference AND suitability for SD work line up OR personal situation outweighs breed drawbacks sufficiently enough (as in Mee's case with living on a farm which gives enough roaming space for a high energy Doberman)? Awesome! But I still think it shouldn't be promoted that all breeds and mixes are equally suitable as SDs. Because at the end of the day, there's also a hell lotta observation bias going on. We always see the success stories and hardly ever the washes or the individual struggles. Most SD handlers aren't very open about it when for example their SD really isn't as reliable as it should be (e.g tasking or PA) or they're having issues (dog aggression comes to mind) - for obvious reasons, so not putting any blame there (general expectation towards SD behavior with an incredibly high bar, not wanting to be put on the spot, shame, ... just to name a few). And I'm also keeping the dog in mind ... will it create frustration for a dog having to work outside their natural traits? Will they do it? Probably. Will they like it? Depends, but at least questionable to some degree. ALL SDs are still animals, not machines, but one can make it so much harder on themselves when choosing certain breeds over others, both training-wise as well as eventual working-wise.

At the end of the day, it's also really hard to make umbrella statements because disabilities SDs work for are so extremely varied and certain doggo traits are more suitable for one or another etc. Again, that's why we have different breeds to begin with, because different working needs that were selected for.

Bottom-line: If someone asks me for advice or publicly throws out ideas? I'll be honest and at least advise against certain breeds or very clearly point out the drawbacks. If someone came to me with doggo already there? I'd do everything to help them make it work (Disclaimer: I'm not a SD trainer, so speaking hypothetically and as a therapy dog trainer, which obviously is a very different ball park, but for therapy work dogs need to have certain qualities as well ... we cannot and don't accept every random dog pet - we recently had to wash a dog (it was heartbreaking because he's the absolute sweetest boy) because while he aced training and tests, he just clearly showed he didn't like the actual therapy work.

Again, apologies if I came across as judgmental and abrasive. Sorry! :sorry:

Last edited:
Siniang - I didn’t personally interpret your posts ( or any one else’s) as dismissive or derisive or any thing other than concerned and helpful .

There is an issue in putting personally revealing information on the net that can make reasons behind choices difficult. I have already given more info here than I intended and I am confident someone who knows me could identify me were they so minded. I don’t believe anyone could have such a boring interest but .... I feel edgy when asked to divide details which I feel further impinge on my anonymity. :/. It’s totally tough though because it’s reasonable to punt out high energy factors etc.

fwiw - when DH Isn’t here I often also have a dog walker once a day . I don’t think I’d want thT in early months at east with a service dog.

Also there is a difference between having space and teaching your dogs commands for exercising. I have a send away command , and one of my dogs is a working dog - the pet will tag along if I send him to do a task . Just having ‘space’ isn’t really exercise for most dogs. They may or may not run around , the environment isn’t particularly enriched etc. They get up to trouble . They need stuff to do- more stuff the brighter they are.

I am sorry my caginess Wrongly gave you the impression you had been somehow hurtful. It’s not the case.

Most SD handlers aren't very open about it when for example their SD really isn't as reliable as it should be (e.g tasking or PA) or they're having issues (dog aggression comes to mind) - for obvious reasons, so not putting any blame there (general expectation towards SD behavior with an incredibly high bar, not wanting to be put on the spot, shame, ... just to name a few)

Fwiw I have posted all of my struggles and Chopper's mistakes on my youtube channel. Its not a popular one but it is one. I have not had to wash a dog yet but I have always been honest and stated that possibly needing to wash Chopper has always been in the front of my mind and would do so immediately if the situation called for it. It never did but always kept myself open to that and I think that is important.

Mobility dogs are usually labs. From a professional mobility dog agency that trains brace and mobility dogs:
Dog Breeds for Mobility Support

It comes down to the vital question of, “what breeds of dog are best for mobility assistance?” Many canines have an athletic build and structure, not to mention their capacity to listen, learn and train. At Canine Partners for Life we train Labrador retrievers, Golden retrievers, Poodles, and mixes of those breeds.Mobility Assistance Dogs | Service Dogs for Physical Disabilities

It’s not about getting a big enough dog, because they are not built for heavy load bearing at any size. Mobility dogs are for picking things up, opening doors, a gentle guide for balance or an occasional gentle pull. Even the biggest mountain dogs don’t have the joints to simply carry chronic heavy loads. If a lab can’t handle the mobility task, then there perhaps needs to be a reassessment of what can be done with an SD. A need to carry weight beyond what a lab could handle ventures into mini-horse territory - they can handle carrying weight in ways dogs can not and are ADA protected. The access issues would be a nightmare... plus picking up the poop alone would be a task and half... but if what is needed is a chronic load bearer, that would be a mini-horse. Or a cane/wheelchair etc combo. SDs can help someone in a wheelchair do things like open doors but they can’t replace that physical device.

A Swiss mountain dog would be absolutely miserable in FL heat and would struggle to work at all in any capacity. Mountain dogs are bred for snow. Meet the Muscular and Confident Greater Swiss Mountain Dog – American Kennel Club

Mobility dogs are usually labs. From a professional mobility dog agency that trains brace and mobility dogs:

An English lab is at the top of my list and likely what I will go with if I have a choice in the matter. Someone took me off of labs for some reason in this thread. Not sure who or why but still at the very top and not one has made it above them yet.

ETA: Oh, and am not expecting a dog to replace my cane. Sorry if I made it seem that way. I dont need a mini horse. Its not that serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back