Difficult Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enough

MyPTSD Pro
It's true that no one here is qualified to diagnose you, but I have to wonder why you would come to a PTSD board for "advice and support" if you don't actually have PTSD.
I hope you take this as constructive observation........
The criteria you list is verbatim from the DSM V, right?
The DSM V has no such criteria and diagnosis for what most of us accept as "complex PTSD". Just reading the description of family life given by @CeePee93 gives insite to a series of situations that could easily support C PTSD. We don't know and I won't judge @somerandomguy or @CeePee93 by what is in or not in their posts. I can think of lots of us on here that have expressed doubt at our own diagnosis, but it is another step to cast doubt on anothers diagnosis or non diagnosis. Why would someone without a diagnosis come to a PTSD board for advice and support? I don't know and I don't care. They are looking for support. I am here. I guess I kind of see this situation as an extension of an oath I took a long time ago in a different life......

finally, @CeePee93 good for you. I can relate to the early years spent smoking weed, I both started earlier and finished earlier but it's all relative, same experiences pretty much I bet. When I quit I quit hard and had headaches and other symptoms through most of the first semester of trade school at a community college. I didn't have time for friends that just wanted to keep getting high all the time and less after I went to work after school was done. I was 25 and have never been sorry. I miss my old friends some times but quit checking in on them years ago. The difference between being stoned and being responsible to my wife and kids and mortgage and job is a wedge that has split them off long ago.
I suspect you started early in life to escape something you couldn't fight or get away from any other way at the time, thats pretty common. next thing you know its 27 years old and thinking about living with your dad instead of your mom....
I understand I'm being cold and selfish, but why spend time with someone your not happy with and toxic? My mom could always see his daughter somewhere else, but this home is problematic because she always comes with my cousin. My mom has completely f*cking betrayed me and made me realize that maybe its better for me to be out the area.
Maybe after you have cleared the weed you can look at this statement again. That sounds like the exact same reasons I quit even though I was out of my parents
house like maybe 6 months or so after the weed started. Best of luck as you try to get a better shot for yourself going forward.....

The DSM V has no such criteria and diagnosis for what most of us accept as "complex PTSD". Just reading the description of family life given by @CeePee93 gives insite to a series of situations that could easily support C PTSD.
False. While the DSM does not recognize CPTSD, clinicians who do understand that PTSD is a necessary precursor to CPTSD.

The ICD-11, which does recognize CPTSD, also mandates PTSD criteria for CPTSD as well.

Last edited:

enough

MyPTSD Pro
@somerandomguy
The ICD-11 broadens the possible traumas to include things like torture, genocide, lots of things not mentioned in the DSM or your post as possible causes for PTSD. Yeah, ptsd is a required part of complex PTSD, but the description of the possible causes of that PTSD diagnosis listed in the ICD-11 is much broader.
Personally, I meet the requirements for both. I witnessed death and trauma as an adult, and I was raised in a much less than great household that I could not escape until I left way earlier than I should have. Would my criteria for C-ptsd due to childhood traumas not be met unless I had also witnessed traumas as a first responder?

This all "head injury: rock" and "head injury: dash board" and "head injury: baseball bat" in my opinion. The kid needs advice.

The ICD-11 broadens the possible traumas to include things like torture, genocide, lots of things not mentioned in the DSM or your post as possible causes for PTSD.
These are the exact same criteria as the DSM. Being a victim of a genocide or torture would fall squarely within Criteria A in the DSM. Just because they don't mention genocide or torture doesn't mean those things don't apply.
Would my criteria for C-ptsd due to childhood traumas not be met unless I had also witnessed traumas as a first responder?
Nope, you would qualify for CPTSD as your childhood traumas took place over an extended period of time.

I'm happy we can give the kid advice. But if we open up the PTSD forum up to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who needs advice, pretty soon this will cease to be a PTSD forum.

enough

MyPTSD Pro
But if we open up the PTSD forum up to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who needs advice, pretty soon this will cease to be a PTSD forum.
Thats a pretty slippery slope, but I trust Anthony to keep his footing. Not my circus, not my monkeys. Speaking of monkeys:

hey hey were the monkies, and people say we monkey around, Were too busy singing to put anybody down-were just trying to be friendly so come and watch us sing and play, were the young generation, and we got something to say.........

there just isn't a time when that song feels inappropriate- peace, out.

CeePee93

New Here
I'm confused about what "passive abuse" is.

This is what has to happen to be diagnosed with PTSD:

It's true that no one here is qualified to diagnose you, but I have to wonder why you would come to a PTSD board for "advice and support" if you don't actually have PTSD.

The criteria you list is verbatim from the DSM V, right?
The DSM V has no such criteria and diagnosis for what most of us accept as "complex PTSD". Just reading the description of family life given by @CeePee93 gives insite to a series of situations that could easily support C PTSD. We don't know and I won't judge @somerandomguy or @CeePee93 by what is in or not in their posts. I can think of lots of us on here that have expressed doubt at our own diagnosis, but it is another step to cast doubt on anothers diagnosis or non diagnosis. Why would someone without a diagnosis come to a PTSD board for advice and support? I don't know and I don't care. They are looking for support. I am here. I guess I kind of see this situation as an extension of an oath I took a long time ago in a different life......

finally, @CeePee93 good for you. I can relate to the early years spent smoking weed, I both started earlier and finished earlier but it's all relative, same experiences pretty much I bet. When I quit I quit hard and had headaches and other symptoms through most of the first semester of trade school at a community college. I didn't have time for friends that just wanted to keep getting high all the time and less after I went to work after school was done. I was 25 and have never been sorry. I miss my old friends some times but quit checking in on them years ago. The difference between being stoned and being responsible to my wife and kids and mortgage and job is a wedge that has split them off long ago.
I suspect you started early in life to escape something you couldn't fight or get away from any other way at the time, thats pretty common. next thing you know its 27 years old and thinking about living with your dad instead of your mom....

Maybe after you have cleared the weed you can look at this statement again. That sounds like the exact same reasons I quit even though I was out of my parents
house like maybe 6 months or so after the weed started. Best of luck as you try to get a better shot for yourself going forward.....
thank you and well done for getting your life in order. wife, kids, mortgage and job. you lost something good (if you can call it that) to gain something better and in terms of my post not fitting PSTD criteria, I think it could quality for "passive" if the guy wants to see the word again and even if it doesn't. I was just looking for a quick forum to get support and landed on this page. If the moderator doesn't like it, he can easily delete it or move it to a more suitable category.

I'm off this anyway. Thank you for your the supportive comments and thank you for the not so nice comments. Your all entitled to your opinions, at the end of the day. The current situation is if anyone was interested, I'm still living with my mom and I'm still seeing my cousin. I didn't want to move into my dads house and had a week break away from my cousin. For now, I'm just going to put up with him and my mom, for the time been. I'm still not smoking weed and I still think his a disrespectful little shit, but my mom didn't want us to all fall out, so I thought I'd make a compromise. As long as I don't let him interfere with my goals and I don't see him that often, I'll be happy. Hopefully he gets bored and stops coming around soon, anyway. I tried the forceful and dramatic route and it caused big problems, so I'll just wait and tolerate him instead, for the sake of my mom. Best of luck to everyone, I hope you all have successful positive life's and overcome your pstd. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.