1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ED Disordered eating

Discussion in 'Other Disorders' started by Living in the 70s, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Living in the 70s

Living in the 70s "Go dté tú slán" Premium Member Donated

I realised too another mistake I have made with my eating, that is, if I dissociate or don't taste or feel the food in my mouth I would keep allowing myself another serve and another serve and another serve and then dissociate again. Now if I miss out I miss out, and I can show my self Self Compassion by doing a Self Compassion Break and not continuously eat more hoping I will be more present next time I ate. That was a trap I used to fall into all the time, and almost did yesterday.

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ and NinjaWolf like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Living in the 70s

So I was out in a stressful and hot social situation, that was for lunch, and I panicked a bit. At one point I thought the salmon and egg salad looked a bit big (I didn't have to eat the whole salad - but that option didn't even occur to me in the heat of the moment) but that salad was a lot less points than a toasted ham, tomato and cheese sandwich. I will take my time next time, and order later on, and not get so stressed out about it. So each day I am learning a bit more.

I drank a lot of water.

I have done double the exercise points that Weight Watchers recommends for each week, I am pleased about that. I got a lot done this week. I am much more present in my body, and I am much more here in general.

4. Living in the 70s

Delayed comfort eating by a couple of hours - then three slices of bread with banana on them. Learning and applying new skills.

I eat way too big portions. Entree size is enough!

5. AngelkeeperJ

AngelkeeperJ ❣️ Blessed❣️ Premium Member Generous $250+

Thank you for writing what you do! You "say" what I am thinking, but don't know how to reach the words on my own, if that makes sense?

NinjaWolf likes this.
  6. Living in the 70s

So I am noticing other people's habituated overeating patterns, now and I can more adroitly sidestep them. So much of eating it habituated patterns of overeating that people don't really notice that they are doing.

I went out for lunch my salad was not available so I chose another option.

Overall I am improving with my eating in all problem arenas. My progress is modest and small, incremental, but it is also real, doable and my own handmade recovery tailored to suit my own particular challenges.

So all the things that I have been doing and working on are improving my ability to learn new and more nuanced skills.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    NinjaWolf likes this.
  7. Living in the 70s

I did not do so well with eating last night, but still it is moderate compared to when I was binge eating. So still improvement all, just a bad patch.

NinjaWolf likes this.
  8. Living in the 70s

My portion sizes are way too big. Entree size for mains is the way to go, it is a bit adjustment for me.

NinjaWolf likes this.
  9. Living in the 70s

I engaged in no comfort eating last night. I got back late so I skipped dinner. This is a significant event for me. I can't remember the last time I didn't engage in these behaviours.

I had a hearty breakfast this morning.

Muted and NinjaWolf like this.
  10. Living in the 70s

I am going for Radical Acceptance in regards to my obesity. I am not happy about it, but I am not unhappy about it. I do want to change, and I will do that with compassion, and kindness, and using all the skills that I have gained.

Things that I have done to assist with changing my life long patterns of disordered eating include:

trauma therapy
    David Burns' distorted cognitions (CBT)
    exercise
    Mindfulness
    The Alexander Technique
    Creating a safe home for myself
    DBT
    studying
    retraining
    Doing the hardest for me things each day to break down my avoidance, depersonalisation and derealisation
    Educating myself about nutrition
    Journal writing
    Self Compassion Breaks
    Radical Acceptance
    Volunteering
    Speaking up
    Setting boundaries
    Setting up different routines in my day to day life.
    Gratitude
    Participating in challenges
    Learning to play a musical instrument
    Joining Weight Watchers - I didn't have any idea of what a reasonable portion size is/was - so that has been educational.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    mumstheword and NinjaWolf like this.
  11. Living in the 70s

I am now 20 kilos away from mid range my optimum BMI. I am getting closer to not being morbidly obese but obese, and that is such a success for me. I did lose a fair bit of weight last year, and then put it all back on when I ate my emotions, so I am doing better overall, and reaching the goal is not as important as using all my skills, self compassion, Mindfulness and being reasonable about it all with myself. There is no point to beating myself up as it always blows up in my face. I am getting better at nuances, and not overwhelming myself as much. I have more awareness. This will be one of the challenges of my life, and I accept that now and I am no longer so harsh with myself. The corrosive self doubt does not have as a strong hold on me now.

I had two entree sized servings tonight for dinner, I did want to skip but that is not sustainable in the long run. Instead I am going the wise mind middle path. This is a marathon, not a sprint, so best to pace myself reasonably. I am doing okay.

I am also, under medical supervision, tapering off my Endep, so that is another journey. My hope is that the side effect that I have suffered from that increased appetite and slower metabolism will also taper off. Either way, it doesn't matter as I have the skills to use managing this now.

DharmaGirl, NinjaWolf and mumstheword like this.
  12. mumstheword

mumstheword I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I'm applauding you @Disco Dancing Queen ! Well done! Really great work. I'm doing work along these lines as well. Will share more as I make notable progress.

13. Living in the 70s

So no binging last night, but some snacking but well within what is reasonable and okay in terms of Weight Watchers recommends to eat.

Terrible fear about going to bed, need to do some distorted cognitions busting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    NinjaWolf likes this.
Show Sidebar