• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ED Disordered eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be in my body when other people are present, that's when I block eat, so I have to reassess what in reality I can actually manage, and it's not as much as I thought it would be.

I have tried for 35 years to get into and stay in my body at the same times I am around people, and I just really can't do it except with a couple of people. I have tried so hard and pushed myself beyond what I can actually do. So I am trying to be a bit more realistic.

Struggling with eating a lot. Craving sugar from the depths of my soul. It's a false refuge - but it's what I used as a kid to survive. Not engaging to fight with that part. Just doing my best.

Slowly I improve.

So Self Compassion Breaks
1. This is suffering.
2. Anyway who has trauma struggles with X thinking, maladaptive day dreaming, eating, etc
3. What can I do now to comfort myself.

Tara Brach has
RAIN

Recognise
Acknowledge
Investigate
Nurture

Repeat x a million.

This is still really a huge struggle for me. I need to slowly start to make better decisions on this. Hospital was okay. I managed well. I still was a basket case three days before and I just numbed out on food and slept after I got into the car yesterday. I did my best I couldn't manage any better than that. I took two Valium an hour before getting there. It was good. Then I comfort ate in bed. Not the best but still overall an improvement. This eating thing started when I was such a really small child, and it was how I managed as a kid with everything. Eating feels like my family in a way, so sad, still improving quite a lot. I just have to get back to this better.

I am the same. Eating has always been a huge issue for me. It is either completely on or completely off/ severely restricted. There has never been a middle ground for me and I find that moderation so tricky. I have been super underweight and overweight. I know the thing I should aim for is finding that moderation. I know I have to use mindfulness to be aware of what I'm eating too - but it is so very hard and I certainly haven't mastered it yet. I read a book a while ago called 'Good Girls do Swallow' by Rachael Oakes-Ash. I found it a really good, interesting read and it gave me some insights into the idea that restriction can often be the cause of terrible cycles of eating and shame. I hope you find somewhere safe to live soon and have some success with eating. It is something I am constantly working on, regressing, reevaluating.

Getting on top of this.

From 87 down to 82.5 - doing it slowly.

Stopped comfort eating, mostly. Had one small bowl last night - raspberries, crushed almonds and yogurt.

Working on it - feel worse but staying with it or distracting.

I have been working on this each day and have improved significantly. It's not easy as B is going for 3/4 comfort eating when he did a shop, but I have really been listening to David Burns podcasts, rereading bits of the Feeling Great book and listening to the audio book. I have been doing as much exercise as possible. Gardening and this morning when I did meditation I put an ice pack on the back of my neck. So I am getting myself out of freeze, flight, fight and fawn.

B's still in hospital. I am a bit stressed about it. I went into a bit of freeze and comfort eating but not as much as I would have previously so significant improvement. I didn't binge so that is really good. It's a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back