• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Believe That Ptsd Effects The Way You Operate In Society?

Do You Believe That PTSD Effects the Way You Operate in Society?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the suggestion about watching TV, maybe kid shows, but my problem isn't something they can fix. I really don't realize when I say this stuff. It is almost like I get w--a--y to sensitive, and then my unthinking mouth takes over and then before I know it I've stepped in it again .

I don't feel like I'm even participating much at all in society. I stay home, I have no bank acct, no drivers license, no job, no real identity on the map of society as I used to know it... I used to be a very independent self sufficient career person and single parent. Everything has changed in the last... oh, 7 yrs.. some of it gradually in my case.

Yes, I find groups of people harder to deal with. I'm more hermit like and prefer one on one. I'm fussier about noise as it really bothers me and increases my stress level. It can be hard for me if there is more than one conversation going on around me. And, I need more sleep and down time than most, so if I've been around people all day I need the evening to myself.

Great Question

Of course it does. I myself am always waiting for the "bad guy" to pop up. Because I KNOW violence can happen as quickly as a summer storm. You could be dead before you were even aware there was a problem... note the awful success of that guy in TN at the university and the mall thing in NB. I really believe that I will never get caught out like those poor murdered folks; I didn't survive 7 years of rape, torture, and violence just so some shmuck could gun me down in front of the Gap. So I watch people. I listen to what they say. I read their emotional weather. I understand body language. I pay attention. Lots and lots and lots of attention. And no one other than my father has ever laid a hand on me or committed acts upon my person. I, unlike very many ptsd sufferers, have never been re-victimized. Don't ask me how, because I'm not sure. Probably because what my father did to me made me more like a predator than like prey. I nearly went down that road- the one where you become what was done to you. People were afraid of me, though they didn't know why. I knew why- because my father trained me to be able to do the things he did. Anti-social personality disorder, anyone? *sarcastically dripping tone* Anyway, I have strayed from the topic, but a great question. And I want to add that I would much rather have the nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, and depression than to have turned out like him. red

Yes I have to say 100%. I leave my apartment dailey to walk my dog. Once a week to get the small amount of food I can get. That is my life. I don't vary much from these functions at all.

Oh Let Me Count The Ways!!

Purely by accident I stummbled apon the site and I just have to say how greatful I am. Carefully reading all of your posts I actaully felt reassued knowing that you 2 know the war that I'm in with myself. Over the years my PTSD has affected my socialation in many differect ways.
Since my early adolesence I've protected my secret suffering with my life, and worked hard to project "normal", "successful" and "confident". Just like an actress when forced to be with people I play the role. It is so mentally draining, I get worn out just thinking about being with people. Not to mention that I can just spontaneously start to sweat from the overwhelming aniexty. I too hate having people over and for a long while I lived like a total slob, in some twisted way I felt protected from having to have people in my house, or justified in not leaving the house because I needed to have a shower. I almost never answer the phone unless I know in advance your calling or I know you will just keep calling and calling me. I've even laid on the floor of my house to avoid friends who had dropped by for an unanounced visit. I don't like to visit other homes but prefer that to you being in my home (at least I can control when I leave) Although I'm often well liked by co-workers I never establish intimate relationships with anyone, in fact I've shared more in this post than I have in the last 10 years about my struggles.
I'm not sure if my home is my Sancutary or my PRISON!!

I have admitted elsewhere that I have an anger problem, and how I refuse to get rid of it. That is a huge effect from the PTSD I have had to deal with. There are so many ways this anger issue is detrimental to my life, but there are so many ways it is beneficial. If I didn't have my anger problem, I would be fearful of going outside. I would be fearful of interacting outside my home. But I also know that while I have a fuse, it's not short, and if someone makes me mad enough they set it off, they deserve what they have coming at them! And that scares away my fears.

I find myself seeking out solitude and away from crowds. Am very uncomfortable with being in busy areas with strange people, and even with my own relatives at times. Im a very hermit type of guy these days after being back from Iraq and try to avoid people or reminders of it

it affects me alot. i will let no one be at my back. i have to be facing people. when i eat out i have to be seat facing the door. i force my self to go to concerts and sporting events. i know it is going to affect me i try to drone out others and concertrat on the concert or the sporting event that i him at. when i have gone thou ptsd three times at the va. they make us go out in public we go to a resturant or a shoping mall to work on the affects of people not wanting to go out. i use to love shoping when i was a kid know i hate it i get what i need and get the hell out of their were i him comfortable in my home its safe because i him the only one that lives their. i even assulted my roomate for steeling my car he was back and the female cop was believing is store so i assulted him in front of her and was arrest spent three days in jail. i pleaded quilty was given probation for a year and was made to go thou treatment for ptsd that how i ended up the secound time in treatment i had no choice in the matter as it was order by a judge.

crowds are a problem but i found out if there out side its not that bad , going out to eat i walk in to check the place out and and in a few seconds i know if i am going to stay or leave .If i stay i have to be in the back faceing the wall . Stores i check them out first for excape routes and stay no more than 5 minutes sometimes if i wait on line i just leave the stuff there and walk out . I forgot even small amounts of people inside my home or a freinds i have to leave sometimes .

Absolutely 100% effected how I operate in society.

I actually avoid going out in public during peak hours (i.e. rush hour, weekends, etc.). I don't "do" crowds. I second No-Twitch-Tabitha's list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back