• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do you carry or display photographs of people important to you?

Do you keep photos on you, or display them in your home?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I used to have pictures of my kids up. Once I learned that they didn't have the childhood I thought they did, I couldn't stand to look at the pictures. It took several years before I could. I never got in the habit of putting any up after that. The rest of my family can be triggers.

I don’t either. but at a T’s suggestion I have used recent and a set of positive childhood pics of myself as a way to focus my attention on myself.

I have pretty good success tolerating a (flattering) recent pic of myself at a happy or self-care oriented event. seeing it helps me remember that I’m supposed to care about myself. it’s a reminder that I’m supposed to matter.

the childhood ones not so much. they are harder to connect to.

i meld them into a casual but intentional display of the year’s mementos to again reinforce memories of good messages. Not being just photos helps reduce the uncomfortable parts of how photos impact me.

Nope, no pics on display or in my usual wallet. I used to have them, before 2003, but not since that year. The kids are gone, family's gone, that life died with them, changed my name, moved away, blah blah blah. And I don't allow pics to be taken of myself either.

I have a framed picture of myself and my partner at our civil partnership and this is kept on the bookcase. I have a picture of my dog and a fave picture of myself and my partner on my home office desk (i dont have any pics on my place of work office desk). I always have my phone that has loads of photos on and photos always pop up on my smart watch which always make me smile.
I understand why photos can be hard for people. My mum used to have a big framed collage of photos on her kitchen wall and the biggest photo , dead centre and pride of place was of my brother ( my abuser) , i always felt he was the favourite . I hated that collage and i never wanted to sit in my mums kitchen when I visited- to make it more painful mum at this stage did know about the historic abuse ! Anyways when i decided to report to the police and the courts - mum woke up and she removed every picture of him.

Other. I mainly don’t keep photos on display or on me/ but phones changed that somewhat.

When we moved we made a Salk area with a picture of each of our parents and that feels a bit odd . My DH’s relationship with his parents was very different to mine - genuinely loving while some worrying aspects of neglect occurred it is a family bond with secure attachments from his perspective- yet we both have a relationship with mine - however difficult and fractured it is. There are very very few photos remaining of my mother , that I have three is significant. The one of y father is a copy of his old work photo 😂. There are no pictures of me in our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back