• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you ever have memories pop in to your head from nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyLou

Learning
Do you ever have memories pop in to your head from nowhere? Although it may have come from a song I'm listening to from my fave band that I know he wrote about his wifes abuse? That's where I'm at now. I'm driving to my parents house and I have the memory of my brother holding my arms down and I'm sat here calling myself a slut at the same time as telling myself "but i didn't want to do it". I've had to pull the car over to compose myself a little because once the tears start, it's hard to stop.
:cry:

Yup, I have too. It's one of the shittiest symptoms. When it isn't a full flashback. The memory and the collection of thoughts. I'm sorry you're experiencing this too, but it's very normal. You learn to sort of tolerate the thoughts in the background and refocus on what's actually going on. It's difficult but possible. Not always possible. Today I spent 5 hours with The Thoughts. Other days nothing at all or very small. I hope it will get better for you.

You're not alone. It happened to me all the time. I can't stand it. I always and I mean always need some kind of background sounds going on even to fall asleep to try to shut up the bad memories that pop up.

yep, me too. It's common, and it wears me out afterwards. I read that when we remember the traumas, our body is going through the same stress we went through when it happened. Don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense and could explain the crap we feel with the memories.

Yeah I’m an adult engineering student and last semester it happened so often I started to call it “time traveling”. Id be in class or whatever and then suddenly be god knows where/when some random time in my past, for about 2 seconds and then id blink and be back, but it would take 45 minutes or more to refocus. Sometimes all day. Always seems to happen at the least opportune times, too, like 2 hours into a 3 hour calculus exam. Grrr. I’m sorry it’s happening to you also. Safe hugs.

Do you ever have memories pop in to your head from nowhere? Although it may have come from a song I'm listening to from my fave band that I know he wrote about his wifes abuse? That's where I'm at now. I'm driving to my parents house and I have the memory of my brother holding my arms down and I'm sat here calling myself a slut at the same time as telling myself "but i didn't want to do it". I've had to pull the car over to compose myself a little because once the tears start, it's hard to stop.
:cry:
Very very loud music while controlling my body with something vigorous like busting up a sidewalk with the 12 pound sledge hammer is what helps me get out of my head. But you need to be aware that your actions might frighten someone and that's not cool... so do your thing in control. I find working out at the gym with my ear buds full blast is very much more appropriate and cheaper and just better in so many ways than busting up the sidewalk.

Yup. Part of telling how well your emdr is working. All sorts of memories - all oddly in rough chronological order.
My T seemed pleased when we talked about it today. It's part of reprocessing, filing through old memories and reprocessing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back