• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do Your Family and Friends Support You?

Do Your Family and Friends Support You in Healing Your PTSD?

• Yes, they try very hard to.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Somewhat, but I wish I had more support.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 77 39.7%
  • My family and friends try to sabotage my healing.

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a while I thought I had no one other that my therapist, literally. Now i have 6 friends that know and that I can count on because I finally got honest about what was going on and why I pushed everyone away. Things are looking up, i hope. No.They are, and they are going to keep getting better and better.

Hubby does his best

My hubby does try to support me. However, he is not an emotional person, and often doesn't understand what it is like to be emotional. He states that he does want to be supportive, but sometimes I feel like he gets frustrated with me. I do have a couple of guy friends that are also supportive, but I have no female friends. I really wish I had a girlfriend that could support me.

I voted for sabatoge, unfortunately. I have always been a disappointment to my family - or at least felt like one. From their point of view I was asking for the PTSD - females are not supposed to be in the military - and certainly not doing the job I was doing. For the few 20 percent or so of people who had good support - you are darn lucky and I am jealous. For the rest of us - I'm sure we'll muddle through it somehow... but today it just seems a little hard.

I live in a dysfunctional and rather backward state in America. It has a long history of problems and those problems seem to be part and partial of all of my traumas. My family at present is scattered to the four winds or are deceased and to be honest I am glad. A highly dysfunctional group. Each seemed/seems to be in deep denial of reality and the long struggle to help not just myself but them never ended. Now, I'm taking care of just me. I will not take on their respondsibilities, it would have been an even more dysfunctional and futile act if I had done so. The insanity had to stop somewhere. I slammed a log into the cogworks, brought it all to a screeching halt after fully gaining rational perspective, no longer doubting myself and seeing the cumulative results of long standing unresolved family issues. The culpability of those who covered up the crimes as well as those who were perpetrating them. I call them out and confronted them and that was a tactic they had never expected me to take. I got the courage to keep on from somewhere. Don't ask me from where. Do know that just as there are postive ways of healing there are some who want the status quo to remain as it serves them, regardless of who or what is damaged in the process. These bullys are in for the long haul, the wresting of power and control as well as ill gotten gains fuels their agenda. What they want is paramount and what their victims want are the courts to change, clean up their act and the crimals brought to justice.

No they have only made things worse even though I have tried to educate them many times. As long as it's considered a mental illness I'm considered crazy by my family members.

No one knows about my diagnosis. My mother just found out, and my husband knows that I see a psychiatrist, but neither ever ask how I am feeling. When my mother asks where I was, and I tell her at my doctor's appt., she immediately changes the subject. I don't share anything with anyone.

So, I voted that I am not supported by family or friends.

nor

I have to say no though it's partly my 'fault' (used loosely). Most of my troubles came from my family and all I have left is a father and brother - they are not options. One friend I had I thought I could talk to but, on occasions where I tried, the subject was quickly changed until I got the message - we are no longer friends.

The reason I say it's partly my doing is I have a really hard time talking about my stuff. I'm much better at listening to others and talking about what they're working on. But most of the people I have known for several years never ask me questions and unless I'm asked directly, I tend to never speak about anything under a 'private' label. I don't know how but I'm sure, over the years, I've sent out signals or indicators that questions are not to be asked. I don't know how I've done it but, there are four friends I can think of whom I've known more than seven years; they know next to nothing about me - when we talk we talk about them (that's on me). I haven't seen them in over a year (not unusual) and am really bad at keeping in touch.

I have to say no though it's partly my 'fault' (used loosely).

Sorry but I can't find the edit feature. Instead of 'fault' I should have said responsibility - that was what I was thinking but couldn't find the word ... too many syllables, maybe?

I Wish

The last time I spoke to my brother he thought it was funny and my sister has compared my depression to having a skin complaint . So no. Im not bothered though at least I know where I stand now.

Saddens me to read the large percentage not having good family support. Family can be most helpful if they make the effort.

Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back