• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Doctor-Assisted Death For Those Living With Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ok! @reallydown :hug:

Actually, I tried to not let the ignorant or hateful statements bother me. People can be, well crazy.

But one statement did bother me, because it came from a visible pro-life advocate, well-educated, etc. They too said, "Well, suicide is legal, you can still kill yourself!". Not as an appeal to emotion do I say this, but I thought people with SI frequently don't want to cause problems- the obvious with the devastation of suicide- but also, is it too much to hope to die in a bed? Somehow it seems the 'compassion'- well, Idk what to say. :( Moral judgment, I suppose? Seems contrary to getting people to step forward for help.

I have been thinking about this a lot..I am speaking about this from a PTSD perspective.

I am so frustrated and disappointed in humanity for lack of a better word. What has happened to Canada? To me it seems the obvious point is so lost to law makers. The people running the show do not, I repeat do not, want to discuss trauma treatments and forget support because they glaze over and do not know what that means ( when they damn well do )

A friggin simple PTSD support group is to much to ask for-I am serious. I asked for assistance in arranging a small logistical space ( a sheltered room is all ) to borrow and a table and some chairs ( optional ) because I didn't want to do it in my home

You'd think I am asking for the Cadbury secret. It's like I have 3 heads

This doesn't exist, so why don't we try it? I don't know what else to do. I can't find it, maybe someone else is looking to? Is it not so simple and an option, something ? Apparently I am crazy and there is no one else in Canada that has PTSD? Maybe it wouldn't work but I thought at least I am trying. I feel like shit but I am still trying and maybe others could benefit?

Why is it so hard? When things are already hard enough? I am so damn sick of it

Things are not changing with respect to mental health across this nation because they are making it so damn difficult, I get the sense they really really don't want it to . I have heard of nothing with a verb in it that is being done to address the lack of supports and services

We are all aware of the issues. Then you hear they have to have committees and review reviews etc and bs lip service to find out they are doing nothing

What message does this send to PTSD sufferers really?

If you can't afford treatment, and it is not available through Ohip?
Have tried every med that does not work and often makes it worse..

Rather than assisted suicide, why is the push not towards trauma specific supports and services for ANY sufferer not just speciality groups?

This country refuses to address PTSD Itself and what it actually is and who it really effects ( all people without discrimination ) and is obsessed with its version and vision of heroes. There is nothing heroic about PTSD and there is sure as hell nothing heroic about how it is being addressed in Canada ( because it is not )

There are so many cowards and unethical jerks running the show, profiting off of sufferers who do not want change at all

This is about money, political influence and an atrocious health care system and utter inhumanity let's be real

1000 like to you @Thematrix , isn't that so, eh. I would go to a ptsd or trauma support group, but a) there are none & b) I would lose my job.

Funny, I heard someone say, we feel like suicide (in general, itself) is appropriate because we feel when we are ill we don't have the same value as others. But that's just one (another) way we (or at least I) don't (have value). So it seems.

Last edited:
@Junebug, yes people are scared of losing there jobs. Oh do I know. Isn't that so wrong as well? Government officials, employers, etc etc are fully aware of the shame but do not seem to care to in reality, tackle that shame and stigma in this society at all, lets cover it up, save money, fight tooth and nail, ( spend money on that )deny treatments and supports, wonder why there are suicides , count suicides for some and then suggest assisting suicides?!

It is not going to go away by ignoring it and it is not by throwing out suicide as an option, to me that worsens it ten fold!!!! Isn't that what we are trying to stop? They are talking out of both sides of their mouth and ultimately there is no change, no positive steps, no action. That is what I see anyways

Why is it treated like a dirty secret and something that cannot be spoken? It implies being less than to me as well and makes things worse. Isn't the only way to get past the stigma and shame to friggin talk about it? Isn't that a big part of it, the judging, the hiding it, the shame induced as well

Do non sufferers really think they are immune and this could never happen to them, is that it?

Our First Nations have been going through decades of struggle as well, we have more mass suicide attempts recently up north and the politicians go flocking,.where had they been for decades. Is anyone going to say assisted suicide is an option in their circumstance to them? No of course not, they in fact are publicly saying the opposite!!

It just all does not jive and does not make sense..

Canada should be so embarrassed by how it treats all PTSD sufferers and mental health in general. Embarrassed and ashamed, not the sufferers. It's backwards

I don't know what the point of trying is when it is made so damn hard.

I have no answers.

What I asked for assistance with ( an empty room to borrow for a support group ) would cost nothing. Seriously nothing, and that is to much!!!!

Imagine, wouldn't it be a start, if every municipality across Canada had a PTSD support group to all sufferers of any cause, at xyz place on such a such date and time . That would not be that hard to do

People who want to, could get together and not feel so damned and alone for a couple minutes in dealing with this , hopefully, and maybe,just maybe, come away feeling a smidge more positive. Isn't it worth a try?

Maybe I am completely wrong, I have no idea

We can help out others when in need but not our own citizens? Seriously?!

I just don't get it. If Canada can publicly acknowledge that PTSD is serious enough that assisted suicide is on the table -why in the hell is it so hard to simply start a fn PTSD support group then that costs nothing?

End of rant. Apologies, I am so tired of the bs because it is

I am so frustrated and disappointed in humanity for lack of a better word. What has happened to Canada? To me it seems the obvious point is so lost to law makers. The people running the show do not, I repeat do not, want to discuss trauma treatments and forget support because they glaze over and do not know what that means ( when they damn well do )
You're not alone, and it isn't just Canada. Globally... they have little idea how to treat the influx of PTSD due to the created war campaigns run over the past 15 years.

I guess some of the answer, going forward, is to stop sending troops in for stupid made-up nonsense. People with too much power have created these issues. When ex-troops with PTSD find their home addresses and begin visiting them with threats of violence, maybe they might stop their stupid shit for money and power.

If your death hurts, die better. But if your life hurts? Live better.

Thats a pretty good way to sum up how i feel. When do we give people not just permission to commit suicide but we help them? Id say a very slippery slope and by the time they get to "i give up" point, a point that ive been a million times over, I ask "have you really tried everything?" Because I bet thats a no as everthing is so much that it would generally take up the remainder of your life.

No healh insurence and/or money to try everything? Ok, google, in what ways can you change you diet, your activity level, any holistic options? I can bet you that there is some way that you can make a change that will lead your life in a more positive direction.

So, for me, unless you are going to 100% die, no help, and are suffering horribly; ok...for mental illness to "justify" or gain help to assist in suicide, nope.

I doubt what they've come up with will withstand a challenge to the Charter, since the very woman who won her case that overturned the ban, well she's obviously dead because she won, but under the current proposed legislation she would not have qualified, as she was not palliative & her condition would not have resulted in foreseeable death.

This country refuses to address PTSD Itself and what it actually is and who it really effects ( all people without discrimination ) and is obsessed with its version and vision of heroes.
I have lived in Canada and the USA over the past year and a half. The difference in care and attitude is indescribable. In Canada, whether they give us an option of assisted suicide or not, a very very high percentage of doctors/nurses gave across an attitude of 'go crawl in a corner somewhere and out of my sight'. In the USA, there was a quantum shift in understanding. For the better. It was so much easier having PTSD in the USA.

Canadians are so ignorant about what it is. To even my dearest loved ones (although I don't necessarily love the right people), the attitude was suck it up or go disappear somewhere. You are a strain on the system. Makes having PTSD so much more intolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back