• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does anyone else have PTSD from different traumatic experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm 21 and was diagnosed with PTSD for childhood trauma and sexual assault. The trauma brought along other diagnoses like Anorexia, Anxiety, Depression, OCD, Agoraphobia and Panic disorder.
I was abused by one of my parents physically and emotionally up until the age of 19. The physical abuse happened daily mostly from the ages 5 to 17, I ended up going to A&E many times, but the emotional abuse was what shaped me into the joke-of-a-woman I am today. I self harmed since the age of 8 in its many forms, I was suicidal for a period of time and suffer with horrible self esteem issues.
I was also diagnosed with PTSD a few months ago after being sexually groomed and raped by a 51 year old coworker at my first office job at 20. The PTSD for the sexual assault debilitated me for a long time after everything around me became triggering to my PTSD.
I am actively working on both traumas through CBT (the childhood trauma more than the trauma from sexual assault because it's far easier for me), but I'm interested to spark a dialogue to discover whether there is anyone else who suffers from PTSD from different traumas and whether there's a correct term for it! :))

Welcome.

I believe most of the people here have endured multiple trauma. My guy has been through sexual trauma, child abuse, wounded in action and witnessed many people being killed/murdered. And the list goes on....

Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks Lee, wow I'm surprised and quiet disheartened that most people here suffer from PTSD from multiple traumas.

The physical abuse happened daily mostly from the ages 5 to 17, I ended up going to A&E many times, but the emotional abuse was what shaped me into the joke-of-a-woman I am today. I
No one is a " joke of a woman" but your story matches mine pretty much but not the 20 year old part. My mom beat the sh@t out of me when I was 2 1/2 yeArs old. I'm not a joke though. I take meds that really help me. Welcome to the forum- I've had a business for a long time but that personality didn't emerge until I was 30. Damn straight! Lol

Yup, a lot of us do. The term you’re looking for is CPTSD or Complex PTSD. There are some differences from more straightforward PTSD but like @LuckiLee said, most people here have had multiple/varied traumas.

Complex CPTSD doesn’t refer to multiple traumas alone. It’s entirely possible to have multiple traumas but only have plain old PTSD. Complex PTSD refers to the symptom set.

Evidence: The difference between PTSD and CPTSD is far more than Criterion A being “one trauma” and “more than one trauma”. It’s in the symptom set as well.

No one is a " joke of a woman" but your story matches mine pretty much but not the 20 year old part. My mom beat the sh@t out of me when I was 2 1/2 yeArs old. I'm not a joke though. I take meds that really help me. Welcome to the forum- I've had a business for a long time but that personality didn't emerge until I was 30. Damn straight! Lol

Hey thanks for your message, sorry you had to deal with the same trauma it’s awful :( I hope i become less of a joke and more confident in myself as you are x

Also multiple traumas here. Sexual child abuse, brutal molestation, psychological abuse, witnessed others being abused, physical abuse, etc.

Welcome to the forum.
Oh noo I’m so sorry hear! I hope you’re doing better now x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back