• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Anyone Not Take Medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderwall

Learning
I was wondering if anyone else doesn't take medication. I am not saying it is better or worse. So I don't want to offend anyone because what ever works for you. I just don't believe in it personally to take medication. I have had two breakdown since been attacked. I stay off the medication.

I not keen to have side effects. It seems strange to me that if trauma makes you leave your body for self protection. So now we are left with disassociation which can last for long time. I believe my spirit was too scared to come down for a long time. I still suffer but no where near as bad. I just don't see how medication which is drug to me can lead to feeling grounded. I mean I had a psychotic break the first time and didn't do medication.

Anyway I stress this is a personal opinion.:thumbs-up

My SO doesn't take medication - other than alcohol. When he did take meds I thought he was worse.

Are you able to describe what disassociation is like for you... does it mean you feel you are split into two people as one doing, one watching or do you sense you are not actually in your body anymore ?

Hi

I dont suffer from dissasociation too much anymore. Unless I get really scared. What I mean is I was drug, raped and tortured by psycho who play with my head asthis was 6 yrs ago. Symptoms not so intense any longer.

So I left my body or a part of my spirit left at the time. Afterwards I wasn't fully in my body for a long time. Really hard to explain because yes I was here but I would like float off all time. I didn't feel fully grounded. So it was hard to focus concentrate.I didn't feel split in two but I guess everyone has there own way to describe.

Truly I believe part of my spirit was not in my body. I don't mean this in a religious sense as I don't follow any religion.

I went to see a Shaman once. I don't in anyway advocate this. Because Im unsure where I stand on this. Just I find the whole Psychiatric system limiting. I not too sure for put myself in the care of people who have no experience directly. Because they don't always understand. Often have a rather patronizing way. Obviously not all. But really they read books that is often there only understanding of the situation , often way off mark. I not into shrinks trying to prescribe me drugs.

I am not too hot on psychological terms in general. Like dissasociation. Or even PTSD. This is not said in anyway to say I didn't suffer or people arn't. Just I am not big on label. Don't really like to say I have disorder. Because basically they came up with PTSD after Vietnam War as I way of grouping all the poor souls who had been through war. Really I think they could up with a better title. Because I don't see myself as having a Disorder. Merely my soul is understandbly traumatically wounded and healing is needed.

This is obviously personal opinion.

I would say . This is just my personal opinion. That alchol or any other drug perscribe or not. Would only act to block out pain. Has a dissasociate effect in its self. I can't do drugs. I drink ocaassionally now but have to be in good frame mind as I find it will just add to problem. But yes I have downed alchol big time in the past to deal with pain. But I find it depresses me. Just weird I could go out pre trauma and drink with friends. But now I find that kind of makes me feel like I was in traumatic situation. Because it kind of numbing effect makes me feel same as when I was numb in trauma. So kinda trigger those feeling.

Anyway I rabble a bit. Sometimes post may be a bit confusing. Dyslexic.

Wonderwall:smile:

wonderwall--

There are quite a few people on this forum who also choose not to use medication. I'm sure of them will have personal experiences or opinions to share with you. You're right, it is all about personal choice. I personally have tried to go without medication but inevitably it never works and I find myself having to return to it.

If you try to find a therapist/counselor/psychologist (whatever may be available in your area) they would be able to help you with working through your trauma and gaining additional coping skills to help you deal with your symptoms. Only a psychiatrist would try to push their medication on you and typically most of them do not offer counseling. I know you feel that they don't understand your situation, but there are some therapists who specialize in PTSD. They have a lot of experience in this area and you may find them to be more helpful than you think.

Take a look around the forum and keep reading...you will find quite a bit of discussion about dissociation and different people's experiences with it.

I can relate to your situation with drinking. Alcohol is a depressant. I, too, have to be very careful about when I drink. If I have friends that want to get together and have a couple of drinks I have to evaluate how I'm feeling before I agree. If I know that I'm already feeling depressed or have symptoms flaring up I absolutely should not drink because it will only put me in an even worse place. If I'm feeling pretty good, I can have one or two drinks but always have to be careful not to overdo it.

Glad you're finding your way around the forum. Talk to you soon.

catjudo

I am not on traditional medication, nor have I been at any time during my PTSD journey. However, I have occasionally taken a sleeping pill at night, or a homeopathic for difficulty concentrating on work after having a bad night (triggered, nightmares, etc.)...although it's not an issue since being laid off.

One interesting thing - medication does work differently on different people, so you will find a wide range of experiences even amongst those who've all taken the same medication!

As CatJudo said, there are some excellent therapists out there who may have a much better understanding of PTSD or trauma than others. Sometimes it's a matter of finding one you "click" with...I've read of others on the forum who've gone to a dozen different therapists before finding the right one. I tried to do therapy some years ago (pre-PTSD) during my divorce and it just didn't click, so I quit going. However, my experience this time around is totally different! I've found a therapist I respect and trust, who knows what she's doing. It has been immensely helpful.

Because basically they came up with PTSD after Vietnam War as I way of grouping all the poor souls who had been through war. Really I think they could up with a better title.

Actually, PTSD was around long before Vietnam. The symptoms have been noted throughout history, although they have gone by many different names. This thread might interest you (and the links in it have good info):
[DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/showthread.php?t=117[/DLMURL]

This does pose the question...what would you call PTSD if you could re-title it?

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

I think whatever helps or gets you through is the right way for each.

I have had therapy recently which was helpfull. Yes I had to shop around to find someone to gel with.

I have the symptoms under control. Mainly my stress is lack of money or support.

I know trauma symptoms have been round for a long time. I thought they came up with PTSD title after vietnam. Anyhow it is mainly the language of therapy I have a problem with. Sometimes I think it is limiting. Really I am not big on shrinks as a whole. But im british. Probably not as good as US.

I have had my set number of session. I cant see anyone till six months have past. Too poor at moment to get private councilling.

Hi Wonderwall,

I'm in the UK too and not on any medication. Like you it seems, it's my personal choice. I'm not a fan of popping pills and even though there are advantages and disadvantages of both, I feel more in control when I'm not on meds.

At the end of the day, do whatever you want to do - it's your life, no-one else's! :)

Hi

Yes Thanks for post.
No I definately will never try the medication route. I am personally anti. I was wondering for others who felt the same.:thumbs-up

Medication to not dissociate? That's a new one for me. I just got out of a top rated phospital that specialized in dissociation and not once did I hear of people taking meds to not dissociate. Meds for other symptoms, yes, but not speciffically for dissociation. It seems to be one of those issues that is best dealt with through coping skills, not drugs.

I've stayed away from medication too. I didn't want to find I was better with it only to find I was also addicted to it. I've often wondered if it was the right choice. Every time I've mentioned it to the doctor she wants to right me a prescription. The thing is that medication is seen as a quick and cheaper fix (in the UK) than counselling.

Wonderwall, I too am not on medication. I've lived with this for 8 years without meds. The year that I was on meds was the worst - I ended up in the worst condition I've even been in. I know that medication is not right for me. I wish that my therapist agreed with me. There is some tension between us on the topic of meds. I'm just glad she actually allows me to see her. A psychologist once refused to take me as a client because I won't buy into psychiatry! It's hard to find care around here and have my wishes respected/taken seriously.

Opinion:

IMHO, there is not enough evidence that the pills work and work safely. The side effects can be worse than the disease. Nobody should be forced to take medications. Until there is a biochemical test to prove how I feel, I will not be taking biochemical measures to resolve it. Period. When the drug enthusiasts start going on about "chemical imbalances" I like to ask "Which chemicals and where? Can you show me? Can you prove it?" They cannot. It is all theory. I will not be altering my internal biochemistry to resolve my emotional issues until the link between biochemistry and emotion is clarified and better understood. Right now it is too risky. We do not know enough to be putting kids on Ritalin and adults on Zoloft at the rate that we are. It is scientifically and medically irresponsible and arouses much anger within me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back