• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Effexor and not feeling sad when you are supposed to

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntrymom08466

Confident
They just upped my medication, due to being extremely down and stressed. Now, though I think I should be more emotional in a good way to speak or it would be "normal" to be sad about my son graduating high school as he is my youngest. But I'm not feeling much of anything about it. Is this right? I thought I was feeling more what I thought was "normal" in that I wasn't "angry" so to speak all the time, I could talk without biting people's heads off lol. And I can laugh now at little things, but where is the "sad" things in life when you are supposed to be sad. I know it probably sounds stupid, but it kind of bothers me. I probably crazy though lol.

This may be helpful, @cntrymom08466 : Will Antidepressants Zap Your Good Emotions?

ETA: I also take venlafaxine in combination with mirtazapine (ven during day and mir at night); a combo known as California Rocketfuel.

It gives me 100x better outcome than the ven on its own. It's non-comparable, really.

I am definitely overall more on a more steady/even mood/temperament throughout the day than when I wasn't on the meds, but I can still feel "good" emotions, and I actually feel that it's (in part) because of these meds that I can feel those.

Last edited:
They just upped my medication, due to being extremely down and stressed. Now, though I think I should be more emotional in a good way to speak or it would be "normal" to be sad about my son graduating high school as he is my youngest. But I'm not feeling much of anything about it. Is this right? I thought I was feeling more what I thought was "normal" in that I wasn't "angry" so to speak all the time, I could talk without biting people's heads off lol. And I can laugh now at little things, but where is the "sad" things in life when you are supposed to be sad. I know it probably sounds stupid, but it kind of bothers me. I probably crazy though lol.

I take effexor, but I take it with another anxiety med. For them to increase it, may be a good thing. It takes a lot to raise children but you may have numbed yourself out due to empty nest, being right around the corner. Empty Nest may be too sad to look at just now, but every parent goes through it, eventually.

Now you can do the things you have dreamed about doing. Read ( which I love to do) but I still work full time. Go to the gym.. See all those hotties!

Edited: wanted to agree with Bellbird. You need to be taking this med with another anxiety med. Not by itself and not raised.

Last edited:
or it would be "normal" to be sad about my son graduating high school as he is my youngest
It’s also normal to be happy when your kiddo graduates. Or relieved. Or proud. Or a whole lot of other things. Whilst nearly all of us are faking being happy for the kids’ sake at the first day of kindergarten? Graduation from high school is a whole different ballgame. Those people beaming from ear to ear? Jumping up and down? Talking wistfully about sleeping in? Snickering at first time parents who think their baby is all grown up (sure, until next week when they want their mommy & daddy to XYZ :hilarious: ) Most of them aren’t faking being happy. Or proud. Or relieved. Etc. They actually are. Not saying some people aren’t sad, too, but that’s not the only thing people feel at graduations, weddings, births, etc.

If sad was your go to emotion for everything because you’ve been dealing with depression for years? There’s a whole world of other emotions out there in response to big events. Not just sad, fahclempt, weepy, bittersweet, and the 75 other flavors of upset.

It could very well be your meds not being right, yet.

It could also just be that you’re expecting to be sad, but actually feeling something else entirely... because you can, now.

Antidepressants are known for killing feelings, this is why many struggle to stay on them. It can be a trade off though.

Antidepressants are known for killing feelings, this is why many struggle to stay on them. It can be a trade off though.
I feel as much as I ever did.. But that's just me. The wacky, crazy, yelling in the car to myself kind of feelings have subsided. Isn't that the whole point of meds? I mean, nothing wrong with anti- med but that is raw , crazy emotion from me. Now, I'm quite content for the most part. Not near as rattled. But I'd let someone have it pretty quick if they asked for it and more often than not, I was right. Generally people suck.( when I'm not medicated)

I feel as much as I ever did.. But that's just me. The wacky, crazy, yelling in the car to myself kind of feelings have subsided. Isn't that the whole point of meds? I mean, nothing wrong with anti- med but that is raw , crazy emotion from me. Now, I'm quite content for the most part. Not near as rattled. But I'd let someone have it pretty quick if they asked for it and more often than not, I was right. Generally people suck.( when I'm not medicated)

Yeah, it’s different for everyone! My boyfriend and I were “just friends” for six+ months because his antidepressant killed all of his feelings. He came off the med, and....game on! LOL. Now he’s on something else and isn’t “numb”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back