• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Election stress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to have a discussion here that is non-political about the extreme stressor that is the U.S. election. (Maybe not possible, but will try anyway.)

How are you holding up? Are you avoiding the news at all costs or reading and viewing everything you can get your hands on?

Personally, I say that I'm trying to avoid it, but I end up opening some kind of news app every few hours anyway, which makes my stress levels spike. I'm also trying to avoid discussing it with my news junkie wife, but she'll get excited about something and want to tell me.

It's horrible. I want it to just be over. But one of the most stressful things for me is that it might be weeks until we have an official result.

It will soon be over (the election...maybe not the stress depending on people's desired outcomes). Whether that takes weeks to count, it is getting there.

I'm in the UK and I feel for you all. The uncertainty is horrible.

I'm certainly glad we don't have an election right now in the UK. There is so much going on in the world, and so much upheaval, I can't imagine adding an election into the midst.

I stopped watching the news back in March. I can't cope with it. And mostly it isn't news, but opinion that seems to be there to give negativity, whatever side it is promoting.

I keep repeating "create and visualise a bubble", which is what my T said to me to try and keep all the things I can't control a little distance from me.

(Hoping this post isn't political...am trying to be neutral....)

I keep repeating "create and visualise a bubble", which is what my T said to me to try and keep all the things I can't control a little distance from me.
This is good advice but it is so difficult, and is even more difficult depending on where you live. I live in a battleground state and I cannot turn on the TV without seeing multiple ads for both candidates (plus ads for other local races). I can't even use the internet without seeing political ads everywhere!

At least the ads will stop after Tuesday.

Yeah, I can imagine that must be so tough. It's hard to try and block things out when it's being pinned in front of you all the time.

Is there a way of blocking adds or reducing time on the internet until after the election?

I am also stressed about the election. I’m afraid of what will happen after Tuesday also. The negativity and hate I feel around it no matter what candidate people are for is overwhelming. I have stopped watching any news or anything political. Unfortunately I am also in a battle ground state and have been getting phone calls also. Along with snail mail and other reminders. I started watching the food network channel on roku and even that has political ads. I have learned to snooze several people on my social media feeds which help.

I wish! I generally use the internet for relaxation purposes (maybe a useless endeavor until Tuesday). I am trying to mentally skip over the ads since they're easy to identify (lots of red, white, and blue).
Might be worth using a clean device, private browsing, & using a VPN to get around things targeted to the rest of the devices at your address, or devices with political browsing history?

I've got to admit, I'm REALLY glad I don't get a commercial TV station where I live. And I've got an ad blocker on my browser. And I tend to avoid Facebook anyway.

Here's a link that will take you to kind of a cool public service announcement, featuring the current, and past 3, governors of the state of Minnesota. PSA

Maybe not possible, but will try anyway
Happy to see how it goes. (The thread, I mean).

There is so much going on in the world, and so much upheaval, I can't imagine adding an election into the midst.
I think this is really important to remember. It doesn't erase legitimate and founded fears - but it can help in managing the more general, free-floating anxiety that comes along with multiple situational stressors.
The negativity and hate I feel around it no matter what candidate people are for is overwhelming
Yeah, I feel this too.

I am avoiding it and am happy that my husband isn't talking to me about it. I am used to living under a rock, so it doesn't take hard work for me to not know what is going on out in the world. I guess I just feel pretty screwed no matter what and so, as usual, me being alert to the details isn't necessary.

I hope you can find a way to get away from it.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I voted for one candidate and now I wish I had voted for the other. ( mainly) We, as a nation, are struggling for anything positive right now and this election is like a monkey on our back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back