• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fibro EMDR and severe joint pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adobe

MyPTSD Pro
I tried EMDR online. I woke up two hours later with severely painful joints. I have CPTSD. Five years ago diagnosed with fibromyalgia but in remission with Duloxitime. Is this a reaction to EMDR?

I tried EMDR online. I woke up two hours later with severely painful joints. I have CPTSD. Five years ago diagnosed with fibromyalgia but in remission with Duloxitime. Is this a reaction to EMDR?
If it is a usual reaction to over the top stress - then it's possible. When you begin reprocessing your SUDS level raises a couple points because - now, part of your brain is busy doing that reprocessing task meaning you have less resources to do other things.
Just plan as much of your life as you can to keep stress down day to day because until you are done you will have random seeming memories, probable sleep disturbance, and more going on.

Its not easy but its worth it...........

If it is a usual reaction to over the top stress - then it's possible. When you begin reprocessing your SUDS level raises a couple points because - now, part of your brain is busy doing that reprocessing task meaning you have less resources to do other things.
Just plan as much of your life as you can to keep stress down day to day because until you are done you will have random seeming memories, probable sleep disturbance, and more going on.

Its not easy but its worth it...........
Very helpful.Thank you. I am on my own with this.M

Yep -- I have the fibro/ptsd combo too and yep - emdr can trigger it in a big way.
T's reasoning is that the fibro is caused by the ptsd, so it's the pain from something you are hiding from yourself. So when you do emdr, and those doors get open, your body responds to it, which triggers the fibro. It's the hamster wheel from hell. sigh.

Have you read The Body Keeps the Score? It's my bible because it is all about the trauma/pain connection

Yep -- I have the fibro/ptsd combo too and yep - emdr can trigger it in a big way.
T's reasoning is that the fibro is caused by the ptsd, so it's the pain from something you are hiding from yourself. So when you do emdr, and those doors get open, your body responds to it, which triggers the fibro. It's the hamster wheel from hell. sigh.

Have you read The Body Keeps the Score? It's my bible because it is all about the trauma/pain connection
Thank you Freida. I was in shock as I have been in remission. So nice to hear the effectiveness of EMDR. I need to keep at this. Will get the book!

Yes. My therapist recommends that I not be still or sleep immediately after emdr. On my list we have: go outside, try a walk, clean, paint, music, short bursts of exercise. After doing that, I can then take my nap or whatever. I was having too many problems when I froze into a nap or my video game. It can be hard to keep moving though. Especially, since emdr gives me some really bad migraines! Another way we brought down the intensity was by doing flash emdr. Less intensity, less physical symptoms all at once. It’s more of a gradual thing like a small leak in a tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back