Fell way off the wagon last couple of weeks.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
Just over a week ago things were going well. Then I had my weekly session with my T and we were talking about feeling as though we had processed through my primary trauma and it would be good to begin processing one of my next two significant traumas which we had thought would not be as dysregulating.

Big surprise, following just the mention of the names associated with those traumas I have spent the last 8 days on a roller coaster ride of depression, food restricting, struggling to fight off self-harm urges, suicidal ideation and flirting with trauma re-enactment.

In our session yesterday we agreed to slow down, not address those topics while I get things under control but after the severe reaction to the mere mention of the individuals I don't know how it will be possible to attempt to process the events and maintain the level of functionality necessary to do my job and stay safe.

So my question to anyone reading this, have you experienced a similar reaction and do you think it is possible to process these events in an outpatient once a week therapy setting?

piratelady

MyPTSD Pro
I’m sorry. I wish I had some great advice to offer. When I feel like you described I just try to focus on one immediate thing at a time. Like- get up in the morning, then focus on getting ready for work, then getting through the work day. Then I let myself do whatever I want (or nothing) for the rest of the evening. Then repeat. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed or bogged down, there is just one thing I need to focus on for a short period of time. When I feel my mood start to turn around a little I’ll add something back in that I enjoy.

You can make it through this, you have before and you also have a great T to support you.

Friday

So my question to anyone reading this, have you experienced a similar reaction and do you think it is possible to process these events in an outpatient once a week therapy setting?
I would definitely wait until AFTER the holidays... as you have no wiggle room to arrange your life to your liking until after the holidays/election.

As far as processing anything in a once a week setting? Never done it. Therapy once a week? Certainly. Done that and it can be very helpful, although I usually do 90-120 minute sessions even then. Processing? 2+ multiple hour appointments is my minimum, or a weekly 5 hour session. They’re roughly the same paradigm... each includes time for me to self regulate IN session, take breaks, take walks, be sick or wash my face in the loo, time to let things settle for a few days, and come back to them. In addition to even just being able to handle the edges of an issue. I can deal with super minor stuff (with massive blowback on my life, not ideal) in weekly hour appointments over months and years, but the same small stuff can be settled in weeks with almost no blowback on my life with longer & more frequent appointments. The big stuff I can’t even begin to approach in an hour. Much less do any work on it. I can try, and have, but the only thing that leads me to is rapid decompensation, not resolution.