• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News George Pell is convicted! "Like many survivors I have experienced shame, loneliness, depression and struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms spock

MyPTSD Pro
George Pell's been convicted despite the best legal defense that money can buy! And they spent up big!

Millions of dollars from the Catholic faithful have been used to mount a defence for George Pell.

Millions and millions of dollars is being spent to defend the other child rapist priests in Australia and around the world.

George Pell will be the highest ranking Catholic figure in the world to be jailed for child sex abuse!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...w-the-mighty-have-fallen-20190226-p5109w.html

Pell's victim released a statement via his lawyer, thanking his family for their support and the wider public for their interest in the case. He said the process had been stressful and was not over yet.
"Like many survivors I have experienced shame, loneliness, depression and struggle. Like many survivors it has taken me years to understand the impact upon my life," the man said.
"At some point we realise that we trusted someone we should have feared and we fear those genuine relationships that we should trust."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...uilty-of-child-sex-abuse-20181214-p50m86.html (some details of the sexual assault)

Cardinal George Pell: Vatican treasurer found guilty of child sexual assault (has graphic descriptions of the sexual assaults. I wouldn't have read this one if I knew that when I started reading the article).

I was driving on the motorway when the radio announced the supression order had been lifted and he was announced guilty.

We don’t get many moments like that. Thoughts are with the victims, one of whom has now passed, the other of whom gave their evidence from an unknown location.

I was driving on the motorway when the radio announced the suppression order had been lifted and he was announced guilty.
I saw it in red as a news announcement when I was looking up Planet America!

We don’t get many moments like that.
We don't! We don't get many moments like these! It makes it all the more special!

Thoughts are with the victims, one of whom has now passed, the other of whom gave their evidence from an unknown location.
From my reading he died from his addiction. The other one - he is such an amazing and brave man. I couldn't do what he did. I just couldn't. It is amazing that he stood his ground and was willing to go through the whole process, which is basically pretty horrendous. Such a brave man!

And it puts all the child rapists on notice. There are consequences for your abusive actions! A watershed moment!

Last edited:
Hmm the victim doesn't want the publicity - and who could blame him? He's asked that the press refrain from publishing his name, camping outside his home. I hope the press really do respect his privacy. He said there were plenty of advocates that could pursue their agendas without him becoming publicly known. I think that is true.

Apparently the Faithful are divided about this conviction so not all people are convinced of his guilt despite the verdict.
I hope the Pope is. Pell was the chief finanical officer for the Pope. He was supposed to clean up the Vatican's finances. I'm sure he's cleaned out a few accounts with this Defense team. Now the appeal will proceed but I think that's going to fizzle..

The charges that were being heard (that required the suppression Order) have been withdrawn etc., and Pell's legal team apparently knew they could not make a compelling case to keep it.

He goes for a Plea hearing tomorrow for Sentencing and it's likely he will start his holiday in protective custody afterwards because the Judge has informed Pell and his legal team to 'expect a prison term". The maximum term he can be given is ten years but I don't think he will be lobbed with that personally. Though I know little - maybe the Judge may 'make an example of him'. :)

This is a good day for victims of religious institutional historical sex crimes.

I'm sure he's cleaned out a few accounts with this Defense team.

^ I'm wrong! :oops: :sorry: Pell's Defense has been 'financed' by parishioners not the Vatican. Hmm okay - well good.

He's withdrawn his application for Bail pending the outcome of his appeal - and so he should! No other convicted pedophile would even bother applying for bail. I was outraged and now I'm not.

He's in custody after withdrawing his Bail application. He's in Protective custody with all of the other pedophile's.. gross. He'll be in his cute little jumpsuit and settling into 17 hours a day locked up in solitary. This is a massive fall from grace.

This is the same Cardinal that implemented the "melbourne response" which was basically capped confidential settlements for victims of sexual assault by members of the Catholic clergy.

Then outrage all over again because Senior Counsel representing him, had the nerve, the gall, the whatever to say that one of the offences he is convicted of was at the 'vanilla' end of the offending range'. WHAT?? Victim advocate's are outraged and I don't blame them! What a disgusting submission to make. And anyway this is giving Vanilla a bad name. Too. It didn't fly well with the Judge and I'm glad of that.

He stays in custody till his next hearing for Sentencing in March.

One of my friend's is in a severely bad place over all this. I am so hoping that she can hang on, but she doesn't want me to ring her at the moment. I feel so concerned and worried.

It's really hit hard. It's hit really, really hard.

I'm not sure what you mean. Hit the Catholic clergy & faithful hard? Or, victims hard.

Because most of the stories I am seeing and hearing about are pleased that FINALLY someone, a perpetrator who stood on his own character and position within a extremely powerful entity has gone to PRISON.

There has been outpourings of joy that even though their own particular perpetrator may have escaped the Justice system at least one very high profile perpetrator has bit the dust. Victim advocate's and commentator's the world over are saying the system finally got it right.

I don't know why anyone except those still loyal to him (and I'd expect that) would be concerned. It's a triumph. We get very few victories and personally I am savoring it. He's an old man and likely given his age, fall from grace and the company he will be forced to keep in prison he will find it extremely difficult. So the punishment will be complete in my mind.

This is a Cardinal. Third highest ranking Catholic in the World. Now under investigation by his own Church - the preliminary steps to defrocking him. He has further to fall yet.

His appeal is really a formality. The basis of the appeal is something to do with the jury (system) which is not going to wash well for Pell.

Why are you all upset.?I thought I read another post for you before the gag Order was lifted where you were (and other's) were triumphant.

Last edited:
Different people have different responses @blackemerald1

It's hit some of the the victims hard, really hard because their priests, nuns, brothers, deacons etc got away with it. So the grief is about that they didn't get their perpetrator convicted. Some people are barely hanging on. One person I know very closely is in a bad way. I am waiting with hope that they make it through.

I understand that everyone is different. In an ideal world no perpetrator would escape Justice so I think I understand.

But not the depths of despair that you are describing. I've not seen or heard anyone say they are feeling worse. Some don't care that much, some care a lot that he's gone and want him to stay gone. But none that are taking a more despairing view of their own particular circumstances.

I have to say it is/was one of the happiest day of my life!
I have been celebrating since it happened

But you are happy - right?

So the grief is about that they didn't get their perpetrator convicted.

But were they not feeling this before Pell was convicted? Isn't there some sense of relief that at least one perpetrator (and a very high profile one at that) received a conviction and has been sent down?

Some people are barely hanging on. One person I know very closely is in a bad way.

As a direct result of Pell's conviction - why? One less pedophile running around covering up other pedophile priests. That's a great outcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back