• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Hate the sound of people voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyu38

Confident
I don't know if this is the right thread but if not sorry.
So ever since I can remember I hated the sound of most people voices. I will have my good days when I can listen to people talk and be ok. My bad days is when I feel so disturb that I have to cover my ears and not bust into tears.
This can happen with people eating to loud or snoring also. I'm sensitive to loud noise so that might have something to do with it. I feel like it's not a normal reaction to people taking. I have trauma around sounds to were I went mute as a kid. My teachers thought I could not speak. I hate most sounds expect for music and the sounds that come from animals etc. Human noises seem to effect me in a distressing way. My phone is always on silent even the keyboard part you can not hear on my phone. The vibration sounds are even to much for me. Hope this makes since.
Anyone else experience this or has any comments. I'm willing to listen.

I have this as well. It's called misophonia and it's usually caused by sensorineural hearing loss. This damages the tiny cilia (hairs) that line your inner ear and can affect the auditory nerve, which processes "sound" signals as being unnecessarily harsh and even too-loud, too-much, despite the "hearing loss" moniker. SSNHL is very common as a result of listening to music in headphones, concerts, exposure to loud noises, etc.

I have this as well. It's called misophonia and it's usually caused by sensorineural hearing loss. This damages the tiny cilia (hairs) that line your inner ear and can affect the auditory nerve, which processes "sound" signals as being unnecessarily harsh and even too-loud, too-much, despite the "hearing loss" moniker. SSNHL is very common as a result of listening to music in headphones, concerts, exposure to loud noises, etc.
I don't think I had much exposure to loud noise as a kid beside the yelling and things getting out of hand. I remember my ears used to get clogged up a lot with earwax that my hearing would fade in and out for days. That might have something to do with it and the fact that I'm sensitive to touch and smell. I never brought it up to my therapist so I'm talk to the therapist about it the next time.

Thank you. I always see a lot of your post and what you respond to always seem helpful.

I don't think I had much exposure to loud noise as a kid beside the yelling and things getting out of hand. I remember my ears used to get clogged up a lot with earwax that my hearing would fade in and out for days. That might have something to do with it and the fact that I'm sensitive to touch and smell. I never brought it up to my therapist so I'm talk to the therapist about it the next time.

Thank you. I always see a lot of your post and what you respond to always seem helpful.
This is my first post so please bear with me. :-)

I have been recently diagnosed with C PTSD. I have previously been diagnosed with OCD, Trichotillomaina, Agoraphobia, DD, and Depression.

I have had Misophonia all my life although my identical twin sister and I never knew this was a known condition. My twin sister died 15 years ago. I’m still struggling to piece together what is left of us.

I was drawn to your remark about being sensitive to touch and smell because I have this too.

Whilst I am happy that my ‘perceived madness’ has a name I still struggle to be kind to myself because of these conditions. That’s another story.

What I really wanted to say is I’m intrigued by all the human frailties we discover as time passes by and our understanding of our brain gathers pace- albeit slow at times.

We are all connected in some way, whether we might like it not. I find myself wondering about mis-firing synapses in our brain and how they seem to encompass certain conditions- almost as if they are related. Ha! That’s the best way to describe it.

Suffice to say I think you’re right. There is a connection. IMHO.

Welcome to this wonderful group who have helped me more than they know. I might not have posted anything but their wisdom has helped me negotiate the rapids of mental illness in this strange, strange realm of life/being alive.

the sounds of silence are my hearing trigger. i have hearing issues and was raised by a band of misophonia sufferers. girl, howdy, they hated their little deaf bitch. i'm not really deaf, but i didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of regulating my voice to their satisfaction.

i avoid keep quiet zones (kqz) like my life depends on it. when forced to enter a kqz, i enter in stealth combat mode with all due efficiency.

So my therapist never heard of misophonia but said they will ask around and try to see if anyone knows and she will look in to it. So I guess I just have to sit and wait cause I feel like I'm going crazy from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back