• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hearing someone (a counselor) repeat what I said sounds very different

Pink Freud

Learning
Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

I have no problem talking about most of the things that have happened to me, and most people seemed okay with hearing them, and it never seemed unusual.... I had a couple of counceling sessions recently. In the first few sessions I talked about some of the physical violence and I was fine. I always knew that not everyone experienced something like that but when I heard someone repeat what I said and questioned what I called it, it sounded very different than what I thought it would sound like. It sounded like it was actually violence or abuse. It's not that I didn't know before, but I didn't think of it as such, if that makes sense.

I thought to myself, "What? That's not what I said..." even though I knew it was. The next thought was, "Shit, that sounds a lot worse than I thought".

Nothing has changed for me, and I have no idea why it's so hard for me to deal with, why my emotional reaction is so strong, and why it's so hard to call it abuse?

How can I deal with it myself?

How can I deal with it myself?
There's something about hearing someone else say the thing you just said...I don't know why it has the effect it does, but that's definitely an experience I've had as well. Not necessarily being able to see how bad something is - just that my perspective on the statement changed dramatically when my therapist was saying it, instead of me.

Are you wondering if there's a way for you to replicate that effect on your own, somehow? Or, just wondering how to do it without a therapist?

Supposition, I’d guess that we became so accustomed to certain things that that in combination with it being about us can cause a kind of blind spot at times, where hearing another say the same thing has enough separation that it can trigger a realisation of reality. I had certain things that I couldn’t see were abuse in my mind, until my doctor pointed it out by repeating back to me. I was in shock at the realisation, but I found that I didn’t need help for the realisation, I just needed to leave it to sink in and as anything came up around it I worked through it with my treatment team, the realisation for me helped me decide about cutting off my ‘father’, and further healing. Idk if this helps answer your question

to my senses, it is pretty standard that hearing is different than saying, but i play music. that awareness is a fairly standard part of musical training. did you know it is physically impossible to hear your own voice? what we hear of our own voices is the vibrations off our skulls. we hear other people's voices through the ear canals.

whatever the roots of the phenom, as @KathK said, in psychotherapy it can be used to healing advantage in building awareness, etc.

Saying something to family, friends, or yourself can sometimes come off as protective. No matter how well meaning or thought out there is a layer of protection.

Therapy with a strange professional has a way of removing the layer of protection. It is all the same and all different.

I hope that is for better because I am in a similar stage as you.

Or, just wondering how to do it without a therapist?
I was wondering how to cope with the realization and becoming increasingly dysregulated and triggered by it. I don't have any support atm and am not in therapy.

hearing another say the same thing has enough separation that it can trigger a realisation of reality. I had certain things that I couldn’t see were abuse in my mind, until my doctor pointed it out by repeating back to me. I was in shock at the realisation
This.

Back