• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do I open up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for clicking on this.

I'm just getting started with a new therapist and have had some scheduling difficulties which have pushed back my appointments. I do however, have a 'Health Coach' at the VA in the "Integrative Health" department. As it happens, I have seen her twice now since I last saw my therapist. The problem is that I thought that I could open up to this health Coach because there are some things that I wanted to discuss, but all she keeps saying to me is "how wonderfully good I seem to be doing" in her eyes. I just don't have the heart to tell her things! I really like this person, but I feel somewhat pressured as she told me once that I was her "inspiration" which I wasn't sure really how to take that.
Anyone have any advice on how I can better talk and open up to my Health Coach at the VA? And also my therapist? Also any type of feedback or information would be appreciated.
Thank you!

I've had this happen to me because a lot of the torture in me was not visible and I seemed to have the outer parts of life under control. So kudos to you for wanting to go deeper!

Maybe you can acknowledge what you do well, what you have accomplished, and then say that inside you are carrying a lot of difficult/painful things that aren't getting healed, without going into the details. If you have to, write that down and bring it to your session. A good coach or therapist can take that and help you to look at both the good and the bad. Just talking about how you feel in the moment is a good start. Talking about the hard stuff can wait until you have a level of trust.

Having difficult/painful things in your life and wanting to deal with them can be inspirational, too!

i "opened up" by being emotionally honest with my therapist. if he asks a question and i feel bitter, or sad, or angry, or just confused, then that's what i express. it has hurt pretty bad a few times. even when the feelings are trivial it's good practice to recognize feelings and be willing to engage with them.

I opened up by writing the truth on paper (I typed it) that I had difficulty saying verbally. It was clear, the behaviors I listed were concise, my real concerns, and short-term therapy goals and a couple of long term goals. My poetry, drawings and paintings are also quite expressive of my feelings and concerns. Writing it down and handing it to the therapist can reduce therapy stress. It did for me anyway until I didn't take so long to work up the nerve to just spit out my issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back