• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you feel when your ptsd is mentioned in public ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My job doesn't know and doesn't need to know until my service dog is fully trained and starts to go to work with me and it makes me super nervous thinking about bringing it up with HR and have played that out in my head a lot to almost rehersed. I am a confidant member of the service dog team today (which took a while) but PTSD in general is an uncomfortable topic for me.

I was the first person we could find in our industry to bring a service dog to work so the agency wanted to make sure they did it all the right way for me and for those who came behind me. I won't lie -- it was awful. I wasn't yet comfortable having a service dog (living breathing symbol that I was broken) and because they were my employer they got to ask much more intrusive questions about his purpose than the standard 2 questions. Not why I had ptsd, but what his purpose was going to be to assist me.

Then when we introduced him into the workplace some of the people I work with were HORRIBLE because I wouldn't tell them why I had him. Luckily I had a great HR director who put them in their place.

Fast forward a couple years and now I don't think I would have half as many emotional issues with it because I have come to terms (mostly) with the diagnosis and I can articulate how he helps me much more clearly. Looking back their questions probably weren't as intrusive as I thought at the time - I just wasn't comfortable enough with my situation to discuss it with people.

@Freida, I think you advised me of that once. I'm sorry that all happened. I think it's why I'm so thankful to have become a confidant member of this service dog team. I've had to fight off very big hatred communities that have formed and during that I have really become confidant in that I need him, why, and that it's not bad or weak to need him. I think putting myself out on the internet to expose myself to very nit picky scrutiny has really helped me become confidant which will help me when asking for that medical acomendation and I am much better equiped to handle those sorts of questions. You know?

I do --- I'm really comfortable talking about him now - not why I need him still but in general service dog questions I'm good. Unless I'm having a bad day that is LOL

I'm just still a bit undone by the whole ptsd thing.. I'm way better but there are still too many days I think of myself as someone who just can't get her crapola together.... That's why being here has been so good for me - it lets me talk about it without having the big stigma that I have in my "real" world.

I was in a really bad place when I first got him -- I hadn't come to terms with the whole ptsd thing yet, then suddenly I had a dog to explain. I'm not fussing believe me! How it came about was nothing short of a miracle! But it was still a lot to adapt to in a really short time.

Now? yea... I'll talk your ear off about service dogs and how valuable they are!

I've found it difficult to even put it on forms & would never in social/public areas because.... just about every time somebody does a huge crazy thing the media & lawyer's are saying the perp's did it cos of 'mental illness' and or 'history of drug use.' So now ptsd has become the go to word & it's so not true! The stats don't show this but ppl are willing to believe it. It is so wrong.
So @Recovery4Me I'm less prepared to say anything than ever until the circus move's onto the next 'go to' thing.

I want to thank those whom responded to this thread. Your shares were instrumental in my attempts for self- regulation with respect to dealing with my fear based drivers concerning the vulnerability of being open with the diagnosis of PTSD.

I found that after I offered up what I thought was required within my new apartment to procure my service animal... slowly other seniors came forward to offer, “Me too.” There is something beautiful about having the availability of peer support inorder to ground. Thank you so much.

It is through these types of board moments that I have obtained the courage to attempt to build a 3D life that includes others of PTSD. And as my symptoms often fluctuate (as living with PTSD is a constant for me)... it is good to know there are members here that understand and will come forward to assist in my transition.

It is the first time in my life, that I have started living without being ashamed of what I have. We are so much more than our PTSD ... and for me, self-regulation developed through therapy, practice as well as support from my peers here. Thank you.

@Recovery4Me thanks for starting this thread. I have learned a lot from everyone's response's as well.
I'm waiting for the paperwork & report's to apply for a assistance dog. It's a long process. However I am trying to be patient.
I realized while reading this thread that when I do finally get the dog I am going to deal with the going public issue. Hadn't thought of this before. So again thanks & all the best.
b1

@blackemerald1 Yea, my trainer tried to prepare me but damn. She said -- you will NEVER again not be noticed when you go outside. People will see you - they will notice you - they will want to talk to you. And she wasn't kidding.

It is a pretty steep learning curve. She said "you don't need to stop and talk but you do need to be polite because you are a role model." I had no idea how many people would stop me and want to talk about him. He is a bit unusual looking -- big black and fluffy (goldendoodle) - so I get "what kind of dog is he?" question more than questions about what he does.

My hubby runs interference for me a lot - especially if I'm stressed and don't want to interact. And sometimes I must give off a "dont mess with me" vibe because I don't get stopped, so then people just stare LOL

But it is so very worth it...he has changed my life for the better in ways I could never have imagined.

@blackemerald1 (((Hugs)) Best of wishes for your service dog to be. Good to see you.

@Freida Excellent thoughts concerning the service dog being the announcement!:) I actually had not considered that aspect. I am going for a smaller animal as I use the bus. Somehow that very important point zipped right over my head lol. So thanks.

feeling acceptance for theirselves when our label comes up in public settings?

I don't struggle when the conversation of PTSD comes up in public as it is something I have and is not who I am. Usually, when PTSD is part of a public conversation there is a lot of misinformation and misconception so it is an opportunity to share correct information. I don't reveal my own personal diagnosis as it is a general conversation and it isn't their business.

Do you feel confident or still a little awkward too?

I guess I don't attach emotion to it as it is more of a boundary issue. My private life is my business and if someone tries to "push" the subject I calmly ask them what "their last bowel movement looked like" and that usually shuts them down.

How have you handled this admission of the PTSD Label within a public situation and maintained perhaps a little dignity?

The most public setting where my own PTSD diagnosis was necessary to reveal has been medical. I don't feel any loss of dignity as I view it as something I have, nothing more and nothing less.

For me personally, all I want people to see or to know is me and I don't want to limit that ability by putting myself in a box. Human nature is to categorize, and upon meeting someone and not knowing them, much of that is done from first impressions or limited information. I rather my first impression be "friendly" or "neutral". If someone else wants to be known as a person with PTSD then that is their choice and they should have no shame in making that choice.

@intothelight ... :hug:
Also... a hearty chuckle on your choice of response to their questions.

I am becoming more at ease with mentioning my diagnosis as many of the seniors within this building have it too. A large point that I have noticed in this geographic - is that some of those residents functioning with a physical disability (wheelchairs, blindness, walkers), head trauma, diseases such as Cancer, major back surgery, strokes, then grief such as widowers and widows have been diagnosed with PTSD and treated for the mental health along with their other medical disabling challenges.

Peer support is cultivated through many daily activities of connection to fend off isolation and depression. They have a social worker here during the week to assist with concerns and PTSD is spoken of more openly. Holiday Dinners are encouraged within the large community room as the Social Worker feels peer support is invaluable to mental health. There is a weekly NewsLetter that offers a multitude of in-house and local services: many are geared to Holistic well being for moving through stress.

As many residents have a service animal jacket on their dogs... it becomes apparent (for me) as was mentioned in a post above... PTSD is becoming more accepted through the multitude of service or companion animals. It is like a quiet first line of introduction for an ‘work in progress’.

Thank you for your time, thoughts and connection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back