• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you work on shame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRAY, talk to God about it and ask for forgiveness and understanding.
I struggle with the asking for forgiveness part. The pastor Im talking to says, and has to say it a lot, that there is no forgiveness needed as I didn't do anything wrong but it was done to me. Even the things I did do, it was done in force. Do you just mean asking for forgiveness for those things you did that causes shame that isn't part of trauma? Just wondering as I'm struggling with this forgiveness idea again now that I've opened the door to relgious stuff again.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. Can create my own if it's too hijackery.

Do you just mean asking for forgiveness for those things you did that causes shame that isn't part of trauma? Just wondering as I'm struggling with this forgiveness idea again now that I've opened the door to relgious stuff again.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the tread. Can create my own if it's too hijackery.
Staff Hat 🧢 Moment

Yep!

Once you do we can move any responses to your question over into that thread, to keep this thread on topic.

Thanks 😀

I struggle with shame for decisions I've made in my past. Mainly, if people knew they would think differently of me. What helps me is knowing that the decisions I made were because the abuse that I suffered as a child stunted my development which prevented me from making good decisions for myself. No one was there to protect me, I felt I had no choice in order to survive. This helps alleviate an enormous amount of the shame. Also practicing self-acceptance, self-compassion, stopping myself and countering the negative thoughts about myself with good, believable affirmations of myself helps, too. I'm not always perfect about it, especially during a flashback. Sometimes I need a reminder. But this is what helps me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back