• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other How many of us have agoraphobia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Lisa your family sounds so much like mine. They have figured me out too, I can't get away with anything either.

Agoraphobia

I too have to force myself getting out. I could stay in all winter and it would not bother me. I forced myself this past summer to get out more due to my 3 year old grandson. I don't have true Agoraphobia but I don't like crowds and pass up get-togethers, concerts ect. to avoid this. When I do go, I have to have an end seat. Last Sunday I went to church and it was unusally crowded. I arrived later than usual and didn't see an end seat available. I started getting spacey and shakey and sick to my stomach. I had to sit up closer than I like but I did it. I won't be late again. After it started, I got up and took 2 anxiety pills. I sat down and the minister was talking about depression and not getting love, hugs and kisses from parents and what it has done to people like me and how God our true father values each and everyone of us more than we do ourselves. The pills hadn't had time to take effect so I found myself running to the bathroom and crying. I stayed there till I calmed down. What a good talk and good timing for me to there. One needs to push themselves as much as possible to go beyond what is comfortable and most of the time it wasn't as bad as we perceived. We can give ourselves the option of leaving if we need to.
On a funny note a few years ago I was in Las Vegas and came out the door of Treasure Island. The show was just starting and there were crowds of people. I kindly said excuse me to get thru, I couldn't breathe. I came across many insensitive men. They would not move and told me I had to wait till the show was over. I pushed 2 different men backwards from panic. Next minute big fights broke out. I hopped the first bus I saw and looking out the back of the bus the police were everywhere. Guess, I showed them don't mess with me just because I am a woman.
sunnydaze

Hi
I used to have agoraphobia but it got better and dissappeared when i was on meds. Now i'm off them im slipping back into my old ways with the agoraphobia thing. I like big crowds because nothing unsafe can happen if people are there but on the other hand i hate people seeing my constant look of worry on my face - people often comment on it.

Well Guys, my mother really sent me into fits of laughter this afternoon. We were talking about my discomfort at having people come into my home and how I can not handle people visiting me.

She looked at me just as serious as she could and said "then go to a meeting". I almost wet myself laughing. Can you picture a support group for agoraphobics. Who, I ask you who would show up LMAO

On a more serious note......Anyone seriously bothered by Agoraphobia to the point that they can't leave their home, and want help. These are two site for Therapy dogs.

Deltasociety.org) at 875 124th Ave., NE, Suite 101, Bellevue, WA 98005-2531 or the Psychiatric Service Dog Society (psychdog.org), P.O. Box 754, Arlington, VA 22216.

Do those therapy dogs really help? I have heard of them before, but like the rest of us FORGOT. We all have bad memories right?

Hey 2Peanut

I see you are new. We are glad to meet you. Agoraphobia is a bitch to live with and I don't thik those of us with it have many friends either. I know I don't.

Keep waiting for them to come and find me but so far---nothing! Sorta hard to make friends when you don't go out. If you are lucky enough to make a friend usually our paranoia causes us to run them off. At least that is what I tend to do!

But anyway, wlcome to our little world. We do have fun here, or at least we try

Grama-Herc,

I am seriously laughing right now on ur post of 1/29/08. Really way too funny. I guess I will see if they even have these things... but you won't catch me dead trying to attend at this point in my life.

I would like to thank you for bringing this topic up. I didn't realize that I have this also. I attributed my unwillingness to leave my home to other things, realized it was fear-based, but did not relate it to my PTSD. After reading all these posts, I have to admit it is soley based on it. Wow! Thanks for all your posts and to everyone else who has posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back