• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

I’m changing my name.

That’s what matters!
...but yes I worry what others will think.
Rule Of Thirds
1/3 of people will like/love it (or you, or whatever is in play)
1/3 of people won’t care one way or another, but may be swayed
1/3 of people will dislike it/hate it

^^^ Is a stellar confidence booster, once you get it down. And -from experience & observation- shockingly accurate.
What do you think of my new name?
I’ve had/used a looooooooot of names, over the years. The standard legal name changes (maiden, married, divorced), in addition to some stalking-legal-name-changes & less-legal-alias; plus nicknames, pet names, titles, rank, my callsign, nomme de plume, nomme de guerre, etc. The 3 things I’ve really learned from that process?

- Names shape perceptions (my own & others)
- If I have any choice in the matter, choose something I can live with for longer than I expect to
- Run every variation of nicknames & nonsense (like teasing & mispronunciation & misspellings) I can think of!!!
  • Most people grow up hearing them; if you act surprised by a common nickname, joke, or media reference to your name it’s like waving a giant waving flag it’s not your “real” name, even if it absolutely is.
  • Knowing all the variations not only keeps you from being surprised or hurt, it also lets you direct people towards the ones you like, IF you’re wanting a say in nicknames, prefer a nickname, rather than ones you dislike just being attached (Patricia...Trish, Triss, or Zia..not Patty, Pat, or Pats, thanks! // Hi! I’m Patricia Jones, call me JP. I’d say dyslexia runs in my family, but it’s really just not wanting to be named after knickers. // Hi! I’m Tricia Jones, call me TJ. // Hi! I’m Patricia Jones. My friends call me Triss or Patricia.

Thread starter #18
That’s what matters!

Rule Of Thirds
1/3 of people will like/love it (or you, or whatever is in play)
1/3 of people won’t care one way or another, but may be swayed
1/3 of people will dislike it/hate it

^^^ Is a stellar confidence booster, once you get it down. And -from experience & observation- shockingly accurate.

I’ve had/used a looooooooot of names, over the years. The standard legal name changes (maiden, married, divorced), in addition to some stalking-legal-name-changes & less-legal-alias; plus nicknames, pet names, titles, rank, my callsign, nomme de plume, nomme de guerre, etc. The 3 things I’ve really learned from that process?

- Names shape perceptions (my own & others)
- If I have any choice in the matter, choose something I can live with for longer than I expect to
- Run every variation of nicknames & nonsense (like teasing & mispronunciation & misspellings) I can think of!!!
  • Most people grow up hearing them; if you act surprised by a common nickname, joke, or media reference to your name it’s like waving a giant waving flag it’s not your “real” name, even if it absolutely is.
  • Knowing all the variations not only keeps you from being surprised or hurt, it also lets you direct people towards the ones you like, IF you’re wanting a say in nicknames, prefer a nickname, rather than ones you dislike just being attached (Patricia...Trish, Triss, or Zia..not Patty, Pat, or Pats, thanks! // Hi! I’m Patricia Jones, call me JP. I’d say dyslexia runs in my family, but it’s really just not wanting to be named after knickers. // Hi! I’m Tricia Jones, call me TJ. // Hi! I’m Patricia Jones. My friends call me Triss or Patricia.
Thank you, wise words.

Here I am feeling guilty towards my Mum for changing it despite the fact she’s not been in my life for years other than recently we text now and again, just a hello, how are you? Etc that’s it. She’s still never said sorry for abandoning me when my brother assaulted me, the abuse she gave me along with my sisters for 2 years after the assault. Plus all I’d forgiven since I was w child that she hurt me with. She hurt me badly, she even ruined my wedding day with her toxic behaviour. I’ve forgiven and forgiven but 4 years ago decided to walk away for my sanity and my children’s sakes. Yet here I am feeling guilty I’ve changed my name, even though I’ve kept my names she gave me as middle names.
I am far too nice my husband says and I shouldn’t feel any guilt ever.

Thread starter #21
Big Moment!!!! It's real!!!...Whatcha going to nickname yourself? The whole thing really rolls off the tongue! 😁
I finally opened it. Wish I could attach a photo here to show you.
Luna-Lily is such a cute name. I’m happy to be called just Luna if it’s too much of a mouthful lol. My nickname weirdly is Jing/Jingy since high school. I had shoes that jingle jangled as I walked, my friends made a song up called Jing Jang Julie and it stuck so my husband even calls me Jing, and old school friends, Noone called me Julie other than my Mum lol. I bet they’ll all just still call me Jing 😀

I finally opened it. Wish I could attach a photo here to show you.
Luna-Lily is such a cute name. I’m happy to be called just Luna if it’s too much of a mouthful lol. My nickname weirdly is Jing/Jingy since high school. I had shoes that jingle jangled as I walked, my friends made a song up called Jing Jang Julie and it stuck so my husband even calls me Jing, and old school friends, Noone called me Julie other than my Mum lol. I bet they’ll all just still call me Jing 😀
It is a cute name . Sounds like you are having a wonderful day! Mark it on the calendar!

Top Bottom