• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Job interview(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I have an interview for a job on Monday a.m. I actually have two on Monday, sort of. The first job is a steady full-time position making a lot more than I was making at my last job. The interview is online, and I am terrified. I'm not sure why; I don't really want this job - it's kind of a long drive and I'm not sure I am interested in doing what they want me to do. I desperately need work, though. I'm between not caring how the interview goes and not sleeping because I'm scared I'll screw it up.

The other interview is for a short-term job doing a book edit for a prominent attorney. I'm worried about what I'm going to charge her (the recommendations are way too high for me to be charging, I think) and if I can actually do what she needs done. We're going to discuss and I'll have to give her rates...I mean, what if she thinks they're too much? What if she doesn't and I can't do the work?

Some days I really wish all I had to do was sit here and watch television. Or play with my cats. The world is a very stressful place.

You know what you are doing. Show your confidence and let your rates reflect it. It will give the person that is hiring you a feeling of security and comfort. Your desire not to work may be more of your defenses against failure or not feeling good enough, but you are. If you don’t want the long term job, maybe this other opportunity will open doors into more and more good things!

It will give the person that is hiring you a feeling of security and comfort.
Thanks for saying this. I considered it earlier, then let it go, but I think you're right. If I charge the going rates, it says more about my abilities and should instill confidence (in both of us).
Your desire not to work may be more of your defenses against failure or not feeling good enough
Oh, yeah! I think this must be true.

Yeah. These are the things that apply to sustaining my success in my own career path. I’ve been wanting to change careers because the pandemic has made my business substantially smaller and even though I realize it isn’t my fault it has really lowered my confidence and online work Burnt me out. I’m hoping that new clients will recharge my spirits, but ultimately, I know that it really needs to come from within me or there will be no new clients. Pandemic has made it hard. Ptsd always makes it harder for us. But we can do it! We have to.

Job interviews are stressful.
But maybe not really wanting the job might make it easier? Might reduce some stress?

I agree about the rates. The going rates are the going rates. They will be expecting the going rates. It's ok. You're worth the going rates.

Online interviews are different. Can you test the technology or do something that might help with nerves? They should comment on it being online (when I have been interviewing I have said stuff to the interviewee, like if they are going to share a presentation and it's taking a few minutes, they get flustered and I say it's perfectly ok this will take a few minutes and we have time so don't worry etc etc).

But: two interviews! Great achievement. This means they both have decided you have the skills they want and they are giving you their time as they want to hear more about how great you are at your job!
And interviews are a two way thing: it's also you meeting them, deciding if their values and ways of working suit you.

Good luck!

I'd see it progressively. Already having job interviews is amazing. You can go through it, and see how it goes. And sort of assess yourself during the interview.

I remember a very prestigious full time curator job that I applied and was in the last ring of sélection. I was in front of the board. And I realized. Shit. I don't want this. And I told them.

At first I felt like I was an idiot. But now I know it was the right thing. But I'm happy I got there, everyone agreed I had all the skills, and that it was good I was self aware enough to myself have a step back and not to get into something that would have drained me and made them loosing time.

Now it doesn't mean you're in the same situation. But don't hesitate to to through the entire thing as that's how you'll see how you truly feel about it and also to sense the feedback recruiters have with your person. If you're taken or not, that kind of feedback I find is very important to feel at ease. I'd go at my really best and considering myself as a good worker deserving the right price for their work. Not low, not high; the right one. And place yourself back into that position.

When out of employment for a long time all this becomes more and more abstract. Playing with the cats seems more real on the top of being reassuring. But it's surprising to see how well and fast we can go back in seat, and how people's responses help in this.

Good luck for tomorrow and all the best!

Congrats on getting two interviews!

I’m self-employed so have to pitch my rates for work. It’s something I find tricky because I find it difficult to put a number on what I’m/my work is ‘worth’.

If you know the market rate though, go for that. If you go much lower, it’s possible that they’ll snap you up for undercutting other quotes. However, more likely, they will be suspicious that you’re too cheap - perhaps think you’re not as experienced, not as competent, not as professional…

Also, if you go in a bit too high for what they were wanting/expecting/hoping for but they like you and want you to do the work, they will either find that money or perhaps let you know that their budget doesn’t cover that. At which point, you can choose whether you want to negotiate a lower fee that works for both of you. Go in high and you have the option of negotiating down if you want to. Go in too low from the get go and you’re pretty stuck - it will be very difficult to ever negotiate up from that point.

Perhaps try to go into both conversations with an open mind and see how you feel about them both when you’ve learnt more?

Best of luck with them 😀

But maybe not really wanting the job might make it easier? Might reduce some stress?
You know, this is what is saving me right now! Not caring/wanting the job makes it so much easier, as there is not the pressure to perform. I'm sure I'll be nervous tomorrow, but I feel some better today because I truly don't care if they accept me or not.
But: two interviews! Great achievement. This means they both have decided you have the skills they want and they are giving you their time as they want to hear more about how great you are at your job!
And interviews are a two way thing: it's also you meeting them, deciding if their values and ways of working suit you.
Thank you! And yes, I forget sometimes it's a two-way street.
I remember a very prestigious full time curator job that I applied and was in the last ring of sélection. I was in front of the board. And I realized. Shit. I don't want this. And I told them.

At first I felt like I was an idiot. But now I know it was the right thing. But I'm happy I got there, everyone agreed I had all the skills, and that it was good I was self aware enough to myself have a step back and not to get into something that would have drained me and made them loosing time.
Wow, that was courageous! I think this is another issue I have. Saying no. Pretty sure I couldn't tell them in the interview, but I might be able to tell them after.
Good luck for tomorrow and all the best!
Thank you!
Congrats on getting two interviews!
Thank you!
If you go much lower, it’s possible that they’ll snap you up for undercutting other quotes. However, more likely, they will be suspicious that you’re too cheap - perhaps think you’re not as experienced, not as competent, not as professional…
Yeah, I've been thinking about this. I'm probably going to go with the lower of the recommended rates; that way, I'm still within the range of what's typical.
Perhaps try to go into both conversations with an open mind and see how you feel about them both when you’ve learnt more?
Yes! Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement!
I’m curious, can you first see what rate they are expecting?
This would be ideal. I don't think so, though.

So as a professional editor who has also felt alarmed by going rates... if you are a professional, you are a professional, and you deserve to be compensated competitively for your services.

Try to remember what you’ve written here regarding your online interview. I personally hate phone interviews; the only time I nearly tanked an interview was by phone. I don’t know why. But if you’re not crazy about the job anyway, try to find comfort that they will probably need and want your skills far more than you need or want them to utilize those skills. I’m always having to remind myself of this when a job offer is really not that attractive to me. I’m a recovering perfectionist, and it’s difficult not to want to be the best no matter what, but you don’t have to knock something out of the park every time, most of all when you’re feeling lukewarm about an opportunity.

Good luck!

So as a professional editor who has also felt alarmed by going rates... if you are a professional, you are a professional, and you deserve to be compensated competitively for your services.
Thanks for saying this! I just need to accept that I am a professional and I do deserve to be paid a fair rate. (Ugh LOL)

So... the first (and primary) interview is over - it went pretty well, I think. The work is really right up my alley and the people I interviewed with were super nice. There is only one other proofreader, and the company didn't have one at all before she came, two years ago. The job is 5 days a week, and it IS hybrid - 2 at home, 3 onsite (at home always on Friday, with the option to choose the other day). They didn't know, but said they thought the Fridays would be from home from now on.

Don't know if they will offer it, but if they do, I suspect I'll accept. There wasn't anything I heard about it that made me cringe LOL, and that really says something.

I was really anxious to hear from you today. Well done!

I will not feel surprised if you get on board and find that, actually, you’re not particularly impressed by your colleague and realize you’re perfectly capable of the same job or more capable. I only say that because my friends and I in the field, all of whom are chronically down on ourselves and plagued by uncertainty about our skills, have had that experience more than once. It’s very Dunning-Krueger-y.

Anyway go you!!! I’m SO excited you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back