• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just Trying To Keep Going - Fighting Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannah is right and did a good job pointing out the positive side. Since you don't seem to have an issue going out I would say walk or jog. Exercise helps bring the anxiety levels down just like it helps lift depression. I have felt a lot better since I was able to come out of my home and walk my dogs.

Bad anxiety days are hit and miss more often now. Like this morning every damn muscle is in a knot and feels bruised in my shoulders and neck. Heart is pumping about to come out of my chest which feels like is too small to contain it... Vert tight chest and throat. Yesterday fine with very few moments.

Coming from the anger aspect. Don't hold it all in when pissed off as it really does a number on anxiety. Write it or better yet come here and type it when you are pissed and get some feed back. What is it fueling that anger? A lot of mine was feeling helpless and out of control, as it is no fun having no control over all these emotions and the physical effects. So I vent about it and wanted to rage against the world.

But by don't hold it in certainly don't take it out on those around, you have done well removing yourself. Can you sneak off to a room to be alone to calm? To allow yourself some down time to reflect? Maybe an allotted goof off period where you do absolutely zero and that is the point?

I hate to suggest meds and would try anything before hitting them, they are the last desperate option. They are very addicitive. There isn't any that isn't, if you are told other wise call bullshit. If you are not having panic attacks so severe you are truly thinking you are dying I would not go near them. If you are then I would say check something out, but not to control the anger and stress. Getting back off will cause you a lot more anxiety and anger, trust me on that one. Tust my broken windows, my holes in the walls, people had to remove gun safe... Then they took away my base ball bats.

Go for the good old fashioned Chamomile teas and add a little Spearmint tea. I am not a fan of hot teas (Down South tea goes over ice!) So I make a very strong batch and pour it in a pitcher over ice. Some days I forget and it shows like now, and others I will drink a gallon of the iced and watered down version. It is sweet and refreshing. I need to go make some.

Or if you are on ZERO meds as it is look into the Kava Kava teas. I tried it before and did not care for it. It taste like pepper. (I thought so) But I have heard so much about it. If I knew then what I know now I would have forced myself to drink it a while to see if it helped rather than get stuck on these damn pills. And I am at the last tiny bit but am having a lot of bad symptoms when I do not take it (panic is full blown again and all and every phobia returns with a vengence). I have to be back under a shrink to help me off (old shrink gave me a ton so I have plenty of time to find a new doc from this move) Tricky part, finding a doc to take me off, they don't want me off. But soon as I am drug free I will be hittting the kava kava. It sure as hell can't be as bad for me as the xanax!

So sum it up exercise like a nice walk and unwind.
Adding a healthy salad of known power packed greens helps.
Kava Kava tea or Chamomile and Spermint combo.
Alone time.
Come here and vent.
And if you have not pissed off the spouse some oil for a rub. But when I was pissed last thing I wanted was to be touched and hell I was so mean no one wanted to get that close! But it does help anxiety.

Those are some things that worked for me out of my list. When insomnia was bad guided imagery to listen to helped me doze off, but takes time and practice as it is like meditating.

Sorry to be so long winded but I just want to caution you if you don't absolutely have to take it then don't. Because you eventually have to come back off. I have come from 10 mg xanax a day to normally 3/4mg a day. It was and is a very hard road. This board got me through the worst. And using the above helped the transistion down off of them possible. Use the resourses here and the people here to help you calm. Nothing worrse IMO than trying to beat addcition and have the PTSD shit. Especially when that addicition helps tame the monster. Hugs Ranger!

I have a question. Instead of being scared and thinking the worst, could we just fight?

I'm scared to leave my house to go see friends thinking that I will have an attack or something. Can you just ignore that feeling?

If I feel like I will have an attack or feel one coming on, can I just push myself and try to ignore it.

For example, I'm scared to walk to my mailbox, I always think I will faint from and attack before I get there. It's a mile long.

When I start to feel scared, instead of turning around and running home, can I push myself to go to the mailbox? Even if I get an attack?

I haven't left my house in months. A friend is having a birthday party for her daughter. Could I force myself to go and and fight it head on? Can I fight what is fighting me?

Is this something I can do? Can I cause harm to myself or anything in doing this and pushing the limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back