• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Myptsd legal policy amendment - copyright content

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
I have decided to no longer burden myself, staff or MyPTSD with enforcing poster copyright.

I have now amended our policy documents to exclude user generated content, placing copyright of user content with its author.

Please note, we have not changed the perpetual licensing which you give us, as part of the legal policy you accepted upon registration.

I'm tired of protecting people to only be challenged, abused, and constantly argued with about copyright of content. So now... every user owns their contents copyright. If it is abused anywhere on the web, offline, that is now your problem, no longer MyPTSD, aka, mine.

Because people are too lazy to read the documents they accept, before any member starts demanding removal of content, I will reiterate, you can't, as per the legal policy licensing:

By uploading materials to the Forum or submitting any materials to Us, You automatically:
  • grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) Us a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, disclose, post, remove and/or distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed throughout the universe;
  • warrant that all so-called "moral rights" in those materials have been waived; and
  • warrant to Us that all such content complies in all ways with the provisions of these terms of use.
If you do not understand what you accept, then you need to talk with your lawyer, who can explain it to you.

In simple, every member now owns their contents copyright posted here. We are forever licensed to use it. Anywhere it exists online, is now your problem to monitor and enforce for copyright. MyPTSD are now Switzerland for users copyright.

So, if someone writing a book comes along, they can now copy and paste our content in their book without MyPTSD stepping in?

That is really scary to me. Personally, I was just asking to be sure I was on the right side of policy. I wasn't questioning or challenging, at all.

ETA: On 2nd thought, this is how the other site I belong to is. I agree that lightening your load is a good thing.

Last edited:
that consistently resulted in members getting upset

Which doesn't make sense to me. But that's just me. I create work. I get how copywrite works. Having just a bit of protection, even if the staff couldn't find everything on the web, kept me feeling a bit safer to share.

But, it's also the internet.

** Edit ** You answered on the other thread.

If someone takes your content and puts it in their book, you have to chase the copyright, as you own your content. You have given a perpetual license to MyPTSD for our use. You haven't licensed your content to a book author -- thus you have to instigate copyright proceedings against them yourself.

Just the same, if someone copies your content and uses it in their blog or other place online, you have to instigate copyright proceedings to have it removed / legal action if required. Not our problem any longer.

I'm done protecting the ungrateful. MyPTSD is Switzerland. Closing this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back