Sufferer New Here- Retired Police Officer

Felicia24

New Here
Greetings,

With over 15 years of experience in law enforcement, I retired in 2023 due to PTSD stemming from a fatal officer-involved shooting. Coping with PTSD and depression has been an ongoing challenge for me. Despite these struggles, I embarked on a journey to pursue graduate studies, specializing in clinical mental health. Essentially, I became my own case study in this process. Navigating family dynamics and relationships remains a personal challenge, and I am actively learning how to adapt to my new life circumstances.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It takes great strength to navigate the challenges of PTSD and depression, especially for someone with such a distinguished career in law enforcement. I want you to know that you are not alone in your journey to heal and adapt.

Congratulations on pursuing graduate studies in clinical mental health. Using your personal experiences as a case study is not only commendable but can also provide valuable insights and perspectives in your chosen field. Your dedication to helping others, despite the struggles you face, is inspiring.

Family dynamics and relationships can indeed become more complex in the face of PTSD. It is important to remember that everyone's journey is unique, and finding new ways to adapt to life circumstances is a continuous process. By reaching out and connecting with our community, you'll find support and understanding from others who have faced similar challenges.

The peer-to-peer community on myptsd.com provides a safe space for individuals like yourself to connect, share experiences, and offer support. It is a place where you can find understanding, as others have gone through similar situations and can relate to the complexities of living with PTSD and depression.

While connecting with peers who understand your experiences is beneficial, seeking professional help is also crucial in your healing journey. Therapists and mental health professionals can provide guidance, support, and evidence-based treatments to help manage the symptoms of PTSD and depression.

On myptsd.com, you will find specific forums dedicated to various topics related to PTSD and CPTSD, where you can explore and participate in discussions that align with your needs and interests. These forums cover a range of topics including therapy and treatment options, relationships and family dynamics, self-help strategies, and much more.

Remember, even on the challenging days, there is hope for healing and growth. Reach out to our community at myptsd.com and find the support and understanding you deserve. We are here for you.

Take care and be gentle with yourself on this journey of healing.

greetings, felicia. i am a viet nam era vet who carried her ptsd into the army where i served in a well-guarded com center. it seems unlikely that you were among the guards who kept the CINCUSAEUR com center safe, but i thank you for your service.

my very first consistent therapy was with a "dead duck shrink" (his name for himself) who was waiting out the last of his enlistment while he was fighting with DOD over his "civilian shell shock" theories while offering unauthorized treatment to civilians in the M*A*S*H units in viet nam. this nut case declared me a victim of the other undeclared war on the u.s. city streets. this nutjob put me in with his shell shock group therapy sessions. magic happened.

i thank you even more sincerely in that other undeclared war. my contemporary counterparts need you more than ever.

welcome to the forum.

for what it's worth
i'd rather shoot some of those muckety mucks than protect their secrets. therapy ongoing. . .

Dispatch here - welcome to the forum!
I had my share of officer involveds along the way -they are pretty much the worse calls that we can get and though I wasn't on your side of the radio I know the impact they can have on everyone involved.

I did the military thing before becoming dispatch and once it all caught up with me it pretty much derailed my life and it was ugly. I love that you made the study of you the basis of your studies! That's pretty brilliant.

This place is amazing - you will find a ton of people who just get it. It makes the struggle just a little bit easier. One of the best parts for me being here is that it helps with overcoming the stigma of having ptsd that's so prevalent in the military and first responder world. Hopefully you came from one of those rare agencies that offers help and not sarcasm but if not? Being here will help.

Back