• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Not Wanting to Hear About Other People's Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I think it’s that too - taking the caretaker role. Maybe it’s easier to relate to the pain of others than it is to share your own pain, at least for a while. I could never talk a lot about what happened to me. My own trauma is not an easily understood thing, not even here.
So I was that great listener. It was healing to feel close to others, even if only in that role.
But at some stage, I got totally worn out. And I attracted self centred people and others not self aware enough to realise the conversation is way too one way to be healthy.
I think I could relate to the struggles of others but I got tired of making myself invisible. I know I created that.
Nobody should live like a ghost.
I’m trying to be a real person now, not just a caring ear!!

I think there were times I got tired of living like a ghost and other times I preferred it. But it may have to do with expectations too @Nevermore ? As in if you believe you deserve it or not, at your core?

🤔 @Rosebud that feels true too. At my very lowest I think I was more ghostly than ever - did not want or expect to be seen. Still don’t in many ways, but something inside is saying enough lately!

I've had people do this to me a lot. I don't mind listening and trying to help others with their problems, but it'd be nice if people would reciprocate.
I ended up getting into an argument with a woman I know who had a tantrum on me because I dared imply that she wasn't a good friend to me. I told her that, whenever we talk, it's 90% her and 10% me. She then projected her acts onto me and claimed that it was ME who always complained about things. Yeah, I did complain when I could get a word in edgewise.
I'm better off without her. Looking back, I see a lot of signs that she really didn't have my back on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back