smoking weed and dissociative disorders

joeylittle

Administrator
That is interesting, thanks for sharing, do you know from which study/studies this information came from?
I'm not the poster you're replying to, but this popped up in a quick search:
Grey Matter Volume Differences Associated With Extremely Low-Level Cannabis Use in Adolescence

The summary sentence of that study:
Given the increasing levels of cannabis use among adolescents today, we suggest that studying the effects of recreational use early in life is an area of particular importance that should be addressed in the future by large scale, prospective studies.

The thing about these sorts of initial investigations is: they serve to support further study. They are generally small-to-mid size, and are simply trying to figure out if there's anything more specific worth pursuing in the area of interest. These studies also don't claim to 'prove' much of anything, except to say "hey, look - something happened. We're not sure what, but we did enough to know that there's more data here."

The misinterpretation of studies - that happens when outlets for more general or broad, laymen's terms articles try and make the data simpler, giving the highlights of the study, without the dense factual context......they inevitably leave readers with the impression that a conclusion has been drawn; when really, the study is only there to support more study.

Which is actually an important aspect to how research works - it's not a flaw, it's the process.

/soapbox on studies

Changes in the brain will consist of both volume and density changes, along with cortical thickness and overall shape. Like you said, @Freddyt - the brain 'shrinking' is normal. What's unexpected is when it happens as a matter of course in growth, not aging - though that is counterbalanced by the brain becoming more dense. It's a lot to factor in.

The one thing that is fairly solid, relating to negative effects of cannabis in adolescents is: if the kid's brain is pre-wired for the types of changes that accompany schizophrenia, cannabis use is likely to seal the deal. Really, any adolescent carrying genetic history of mental illness should be very careful with any substance use until they've passed the age of 24/25....but I don't know how anyone could get a teenager to buy into that possibility of kicking off their life-changing mental illness by getting drunk a few times, or trying weed a couple of times.

I cannot wait for earlier preventative mental health screening that is reliable, objective, and something that can be effectively and safely addressed by modern medicine. Whatever that medicine turns into? Whether it's controlled use of heavier psychogenics or aggressive anti-inflammatories or f*cking little purple daisies, I don't care. Just shit that works for everyone. That will be a good day, in my book.

Juso

MyPTSD Pro
Thanks guys! I actually do know the study that @joeylittle quoted but wanted to know if there are others that I do not know about yet. Because, as you've said:
The thing about these sorts of initial investigations is: they serve to support further study.
I've studied neuropsychology and had to read hundreds of studies during my bachelor and master study programme. I've also carried out a study and analyzed the results for my thesis - which is why I find this so very interesting 😊 I'm sure that in the future, they'll be more studies on this research topic. Especially since more and more countries are legalizing Cannabis.

Chris-duck

MyPTSD Pro
Especially since more and more countries are legalizing Cannabis.
I think I find this argument weird, cos I went manic on legal SSRIs, and my bro went nuts (psychotic) on cannabis Like all meds come with risks, sometimes big risks (like me on antidepressants or my bro on cannabis). and sometimes little risks, and sometimes benefits outweigh risks etc..

I don't think saying weed helps is any more than saying SSRIs help. If it was legalised, I think it should be regulated like benzos etc, which would still restrict the use of people who want it legalised. Like overuse of anything is overuse, if you get high, that is overuse. So yeah.

Juso

MyPTSD Pro
I don't know what you think my argument was but I just wanted to say that I think the interest in studies like these will increase because more and more countries are legalizing Cannabis. 😊 Not my personal opinion that the interest should be higher, just think that it will be.

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
I don't know what you think my argument was but I just wanted to say that I think the interest in studies like these will increase because more and more countries are legalizing Cannabis. 😊 Not my personal opinion that the interest should be higher, just think that it will be.
Yes it is. Unfettered research is leaping ahead in several countries. Canadian researchers have found links between chronic illness and the endocannabinoid system. They are also studying the links between endocannabinoid collapse and mental health.

Who knows. It might bring blood tests for early detection and treatment of many conditions cause by dysregulation into a reality in the near future.