• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Vegan Safe Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried two new salad dressings recently and LOVED them both and wanted to share. A good salad dressing helps me continue to enjoy salads almost every day, and the store bought varieties, even the supposedly healthier stuff, is often full of salt and sugar and a lot of oil, among some other unspecified "natural" flavors and such.

Creamy Tahini Dressing - found via Mama Sezz website many months ago

2 TBSP White Balsamic Vinegar
2 TBSP of Water
½ a Lemon, Juiced
2 TBSP of Tahini
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 TBSP of Maple Syrup or Date Syrup (I used maple)
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced (I didn't mince it, I just sliced it)
A few TBSP of Fresh Parsley (I used 1 1/2 TBSP dried)
A dash of Sea Salt and Black Pepper

Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth: (I made it in the smaller cup of my nutri-bullet and had to add a bit more water, as it was a bit too thick)

Lissa's Classic French Dressing - from the Plant Based Dips and Dressings Cookbook by Melissa Raimondi

5 Pitted Medjool Dates (I didn't have medjool on hand, so I used the smaller variety and just added 2 extras)
1 or 2 Cloves of Garlic (I used 2)
1 Lemon, Juiced
1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 or 1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika (I used 1 tsp., but will cut that in half next time)
1/8 Tsp. Cayenne or Chipotle Powder (I accidentally put more than that of the cayenne - oopsie - but it was still good)
Water - Start with 1/2 cup and add more in small increments as necessary (I didn't add anymore)

Put all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.

Then I tried a chocolate sauce to fancy up my nice cream:

Chocolate Sauce - recipe found in the raw vegan e-cookbook The Inside Scoop Nice Cream E-book - Mastering the Art of Small Batch Nice Cream by Nathan Maris

5 Dates (I used 5 TBSP date paste, instead - the Wanna Date brand)
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup (I only used a little over half of that)
1/4 Cup Water
3 TBSP. Cacao Powder (I used 2 TBSP. of my Your Super brand of Chocolate Lover's powder - that has cacao, carob, chia, coconut, and lucuma in it - and 1 TBSP. Cacao)

Mix in high speed blender until smooth - store in fridge for up to 3 days (hahahaha - as if it'll last that long).

I'll be making them again and will definitely be doubling the recipe, if not quadrupling it, so I can share the yumminess with others. May you enjoy if you decide to give any of them a try. 💛

A good salad dressing helps me continue to enjoy salads almost every day,
Lissa's Classic French Dressing - from the Plant Based Dips and Dressings Cookbook by Melissa Raimondi
I fell in love with the horrible (and very possibly made from melted plastic children’s toys from Chernobyl) Kraft fat-free French dressing in bootcamp. It’s absolutely nothing like real French dressing... it IS the salad dressing version of BBQ sauce!!! I’d never thought to put BBQ sauce on a salad before that.

Both tomato based & Carolina gold BBQ sauce make amaaaazing smokey/deep/lovely/light salad dressings (as does the “feeling like a bit of a kick!” Adobo sauce from a chipotle pepper can)... with only the addition of thinning the sauce with “thick water” or neutral oil + apple cider vinegar for the BBQ sauce, or olive oil+raspberry vinegar for the chipotle/adobo.

“Thick water” = a lot of possibilities
- boiled clear & cooled cornstarch & H2O (or tapioca starch, rice starch, etc.)
- ground flax seed & water (like a flax egg, but less dense)
- kombu & water
- arrowroot & water
- honey & water

The 2 salad dressings I use 85% of the time, though, are still the super simple
  • Sherry vinegar + olive oil + cracked pepper + salt
  • Vegan Mayo + freeze dried herbs (parsley, dill, chives, red pepper flakes, etc. IE ranch dressing herbs) in water + pepperman (or plain cracked pepper). >>> Add the herbs to water, add the ground pepper, stir in Mayo until it’s as thick as you like <<< Also my fave fry dipping sauce *

Still nice to jazz things up from time to time, though! 😃 BBQ/“French”, Honey Mustard, Asian, Creamy Avocado Lemon... just lovely.

* For Utah style “fry sauce” just add a squirt of ketchup, splash pickle brine, & dash of whatever your fave vegan Worcestershire sauce to your vegan Mayo. I’m a heathen, though, and prefer plain Mayo or Ranch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back