Vegan Safe Space

Sideways

Sponsor
@berlinda - the texture is kind of like rice pudding, but the flavour is sweet and creamy joyfulness. I don't like rice pudding or rice cream, so it was a gamble giving it go for me:)

Sideways

Sponsor
I'm gonna toot my own horn for a moment because I'm excited - I totally just nailed cooking tofu! Crispy edges, texture, flavour! ? WooHoo??

In other news, the Newly Vegan Gas is apparently a thing. I've had to apologise to doggo a few times because I'm farting like a steam team, but that's apparently trez normal for the first couple of weeks?

Tornadic Thoughts

MyPTSD Pro
Yay and high fives for the tasty tofu victory! I got hooked on it once I figured it out...then, learning how to make it with chickpea flour and water so I didn't have to go to the store to buy any....bonus! :)

The only canned jackfruit dish I've done, so far, @barefoot , is a bbq, using my favorite store bought sauce that's mild. I don't mind a little spicy, but can't stand anything that's so spicy it bites back.

I drained it, rinsed it, dried it (but not thoroughly) and just used my hands to tear it apart and simmered for a few minutes it in the sauce, if I remember correctly. Then served it on my favorite gluten-free vegan sandwich thins (O'doughs brand) with some homemade slaw (made with purple cabbage/carrots/vegan mayo/raisins/and kohlrabi, if I have any on hand). I was really impressed with it, and so was the hubby. After I tried that and liked it so much, I decided to buy the already made store bought kind, but it tastes really nasty, in my opinion.

I made the black bean brownies below yesterday. Yum! That was the first ever vegan type of dessert I tasted that someone else made. It was at a farmers' market and I told them there's no way they could make black beans taste good enough to be a brownie. I had to eat my words...they were delicious!

mumstheword

MyPTSD Pro
Yay and high fives for the tasty tofu victory! I got hooked on it once I figured it out...then, learning how to make it with chickpea flour and water so I didn't have to go to the store to buy any....bonus! :)

The only canned jackfruit dish I've done, so far, @barefoot , is a bbq, using my favorite store bought sauce that's mild. I don't mind a little spicy, but can't stand anything that's so spicy it bites back.

I drained it, rinsed it, dried it (but not thoroughly) and just used my hands to tear it apart and simmered for a few minutes it in the sauce, if I remember correctly. Then served it on my favorite gluten-free vegan sandwich thins (O'doughs brand) with some homemade slaw (made with purple cabbage/carrots/vegan mayo/raisins/and kohlrabi, if I have any on hand). I was really impressed with it, and so was the hubby. After I tried that and liked it so much, I decided to buy the already made store bought kind, but it tastes really nasty, in my opinion.

I made the black bean brownies below yesterday. Yum! That was the first ever vegan type of dessert I tasted that someone else made. It was at a farmers' market and I told them there's no way they could make black beans taste good enough to be a brownie. I had to eat my words...they were delicious!

I made black bean brownies once. Really good!
Made kidney bean chocolate cake too. Awesome. I think it had eggs in it though.

Tornadic Thoughts

MyPTSD Pro
I was wondering if red kidney beans would make good red velvet cupcakes. There's several different kinds of egg substitutes that should suffice. Hmmm....will have to seek further. Or maybe beets for an even brighter red velvet? That reminds me...we need to plant our beets, too! Thanks for prompting that train of thought! :)

mumstheword

MyPTSD Pro
I was wondering if red kidney beans would make good red velvet cupcakes. There's several different kinds of egg substitutes that should suffice. Hmmm....will have to seek further. Or maybe beets for an even brighter red velvet? That reminds me...we need to plant our beets, too! Thanks for prompting that train of thought! :)
Beetroot in chocolate cake is THE BOMB! My kid's LOVE it. For years now. I think it would work reeeaaallly well in red velvet recipes. Is a lovely moist texture.