• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Very Upset - Violation of Confidentiality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I wish I knew if what we say is truly kept confidential?

I used to trust medical personnel pretty freely. But after working at the hospital and all the personal experience with doctors, I can safely say that "private" info really isn't.

Newer research results out through the Epilepsy Foundation (ours recognizes more now than ever before, pseudo-seizures. While they still don't classify them as epilepsy, they recognize that in many epileptics, it is a secondary diagnosis.

Except mine were not recognized nor diagnosed as "pseudoseizures."

What I really get from this is really needing someone in your corner, and someone that you thought was... feels like they were not.

Yes. And it has happened repeatedly to the point where I don't have anyone truly in my corner now.

Have you been able to speak to the doc himself about it?

We messaged a couple of times. His attitude was kind of "you're making too much out of this" and "I'm doing my duty as a physician."

our trust has been broken, but his actions may not have violated HIPAA.

The doctor he provided my information to is NOT involved in my care in any way, shape, or form and was, in fact, fired because he made a grave medication error that could have killed me had I not noticed it. And that was 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm not going to do any kind of a report. I have NO support and it's just too much for me to manage alone. I'm not, though, going back to see him.

Found out doctors really do read evaluations by their patients in those medical review sites. I'd post that he shared info you asked him to keep private and that he gave you the impression he would safeguard it.I
If you see him again, I'd tell him you found out what he did and you feel betrayed.
I'd want to know what he thinks it is if not the epilepsy he's treating you for.
Think you have every right to feel furious. Take care of yourself.

Found out doctors really do read evaluations by their patients in those medical review sites. I'd post that he shared info you asked him to keep private and that he gave you the impression he would safeguard it

Oh yeah. They absolutely do. I reviewed a dentist a year or so ago and he actually called me. Of course, he was p*ssed and said I had not interpreted the situation correctly, and wanted me to take my review down. I didn't. In fact, I updated it to say he wanted me to remove it.

I'd want to know what he thinks it is if not the epilepsy he's treating you for.

He indicated he thought it was "psychological."

Think you have every right to feel furious. Take care of yourself.

Thank you!

We messaged a couple of times. His attitude was kind of "you're making too much out of this" and "I'm doing my duty as a physician."
Argh. That's painful and arrogant of him.
The doctor he provided my information to is NOT involved in my care in any way, shape, or form and was, in fact, fired because he made a grave medication error that could have killed me had I not noticed it. And that was 5 or 6 years ago.
Yeah, that baffles me. he could argue it was an unintentional mistake... but he needs to own he screwed up.
I'm not, though, going back to see him.
Sounds reasonable.
Just know it's not a sign of something wrong with you that he did this...k? You are handling this with a lot of reason despite the pain. Kudos to you for it.

he could argue it was an unintentional mistake... but he needs to own he screwed up.

Yeah, and it doesn't really matter if it was unintentional (or if he says it was).

Just know it's not a sign of something wrong with you that he did this...k? You are handling this with a lot of reason despite the pain. Kudos to you for it.

Thanks. Gonna be a long time before I'm there, though.

@whiteraven

I am sorry this has happened to you!!! It is wrong, totally unfair and you have every right to be ticked off about it. I don't know if what I am about to share will help you or not, but I wanted to share it just in case it does.

From the ages of 10-16, I fell victim to dozen sexual child abuse perps / predators. I had come to think of that as being my fault because why were so many people abusing me and why was it happening to me over and over? It had to be my fault. Something I am or something I did must have caused it, because why else would it happen to me so many times.

I carried that belief into adulthood. That is until my therapist told me that once a person or child is a victim they become an easy target for predators to pick out of a crowd. Given this new information I had to consider that maybe it was true and it really was not my fault. It took me from age 16 to age 45 to determine that the old belief was a thinking habit and was not the truth. I had done nothing wrong.

(I know it may be apples and oranges but just something to think about)...

I don't believe that you have done anything wrong either...and even if you did, the doctor that screwed up is still at fault and I suggest that you hold him accountable for what he did.

I know you are not there yet.... but perhaps soon. It seems to me that you have a lot of people here who care and who support you and sometimes that can make all the difference. Still, even if you decide it is not worth it, you are the one who has the grievance and it is you who had their rights walked on...

And I am so very sorry that it happened my friend!!!

Again, I am very sorry if this post is not helpful to you. Just wanted you to know that I care.

Lion

So...seems this has had a huge effect on how I (can) relate to people, esp. professionals.

I've been on a break from therapy because every time I think about talking to him about anything, my anxiety spikes. I took a week - telling him I needed a break - then got to Thursday of this week and wrote him, expressing some of my worries. He never responded (which is generally unusual for him and yes, I know there are all sorts of reasons he might not be able to respond); on Saturday, I cancelled for today. Again, no response.

Trusting is very hard for me. Trust that's betrayed is very hard for me to forgive. I tend to withdraw and pull away. When I told him I needed a break and was canceling last week, he responded with, "I understand...I'll be here whenever you need me." Which is clearly not true.

I'm not sure how to proceed with next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back