• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Are We Afraid Of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spooked, to say the least !

One of the most frightening things I ever saw was today. I was on my way into an entrance of a store, to by Easter goodies, when I looked over at 3 young boys standing there chatting. Well they were all dressed goth style. This did not scare me, but then I noticed something that looked odd. I glanced again quickly and the kid with the least goth attire and accessories, had the most make-up. He had black paint, circling each of his eyes, top and bottom and all around...this stunned me, and I must say did frighten me ............but nothing like what I saw while looking at his eyes. OMG...WTF...the whites were bright sea water blue and the pupils WHITE ! ! !

WHITE......WHITE........WHITE !
White pupils contrasted with bright, light blue......you couldn't get any lighter blue. OMG

If I didn't know that they made all these funky contact lens possibilities for sh'ts and giggles...out there, (whether or not you even need contacts) ....I would of thought I was CRAZY. But white pupils, who in god's creation invented this possibility?

Mind you I was in a state of anxiety already and pissed off and trying hard not to feel angry.......And, He scared the sh't out of me.

This was a first!

When I'm feeling this crummy, and already wanting to lash out at the world, I don't need to look over at a human being and feel frightened half to death.

I guess my newest fear might become eyes. lol

My next fear is............. of suddenly having a heart attack, going into cardiac arrest, and dropping dead right there on the spot without seeing or speaking to my husb. and kids first.

Rather then starting a thread, when it turns out one already exists, I'll bring Linda's thread forward.

What Are You Afraid Of?

I am afraid of significant deterioration to my brain occurring.

As far as phobia's I'm not sure that I have any, well maybe still so, to large rodents, .....rats specifically.

Rejection, failure, humiliation, wasting my life, choosing the wrong path career wise and winding up out of options, being completely broke someday or being trapped in a job I hate. Never being able to find someone to marry or have kids with. Not ever even having any friends. Also, physical injury from the sports I do, but that one is completely valid and healthy and I should really make a point to listen to it sometimes.

Marrying a pedophile or serial killer and having no idea that he is out there doing what they do, and then coming home and me kissing him/ having sex with him, completely oblivious.

I'm not scared of rejection or failure, as I've experienced both, and I see failure as helpful feedback of what not to do next time. For every success, there needs to be failure. Being laughed at is something I am afraid of...I used to be deathly afraid of ending up bitter and twisted...and then I turned around one day and realised I was.

It seems like whatever you are afraid of ends up happening anyway at some point...maybe because we fear it, that we attract the very thing we fear?

I do have irrational fears, like being buried whilst still alive. I have a distant relative that this happened to many years ago in Malta.

In Malta 35 years ago, they buried their dead within 24 hours, as it got so hot there...and no one realised that this woman had some form of catatonia, and they didn't notice it on her medical certificate until about 3 months later. They dug her up and found that she had tried to claw her way out of her coffin. THAT scares the bejeezus out of me...to know that genetically that might be something in my blood too.

Apart from that...Black holes. They have always terrified me. The thought of the entire planet getting sucked into this whirling vortex that goes on forever.

I do also have an irrational fear when I am on buses, that if the bus crashes, I will be impaled on one of the poles, or that my knees will be broken, and I try and position my legs in the best possible place as I can to prevent this, though in reality, if the bus crashed there would not be alot I could do from stopping or controlling my body from going flying whatever way the force of it dictated, so it's all probably for nothing.

Cicadas creep me out big time. I cannot understand why so many people find them so beautiful. They are like GIANT flies, with big red eyes. Beelzebub was once thought to come in the form of a giant fly! I don't believe in the Devil, but if I did, it would be a Cicada.

The universe is stable in its changing, Philippa. But of course that probably won't help much...

I am terrified of flying. It's not the height, neither the closed doors etc. It's the one moment, the one very moment, second, split second, that you could end up in, realizing: this is it and seeing all that you have been looking forward to fade away. September 11 was hell for me (and I do not want to minimize at all what the real victims and their families have gone through!). But it was hell for me because I know the feeling that comes up and takes over completely when you realize that it is over, yet you're still alive and will have to be until the end. In my case the real end didn't come, but that was pure luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1346584327][/DOUBLEPOST]... at least for quite a long time yet!!!

No. A friend of mine died in one. But I was scared of flying before. And that fear of mine is a consequence of my abuse and experiences of sudden losses, not my friend dying in the plane crash.

I usually don't like talking about my fears, but I guess this is the place to do it...

:eek: I have a fear of wolf spiders because I am allergic to them, the bite paralyses me. I am afraid of flying/dying in a plane crash or a car accident. I am afraid of fire, tornadoes, the ocean (read sharks etc.), and I am afraid of storms and lightening. I am afraid of heights/falling and of elevators...(had one drop 3 floors once and it scared me pretty badly). I also do not like the forest at night time as I have a fear of becoming dinner for a wild animal and of getting lost.

I think these are legitimate fears, but with PTSD I am acutely aware of them. I have on one occasion or another, faced all of these fears head on, but it did nothing to reduce the fear as one might hope.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back