• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

@Friday, the recipe looks divine! When I walked the Camino, I passed through a vineyard in Rioja, in Irache. Throughout the camino, there were water fountains for the pilgrims. The winery had a spigot on the wall that spit out wine. Jesus must have passed by….

Parsnip soup tonight - parsnips, celery , onion , vegetable stock ( pre made/ bought) white pepper, thyme, Cardamon ( the last from inspiration reading on line) .

We all love parsnips- so any way to eat them is good

@Mee , when I was a kid, my Ma would make boiled beef dinners using the short ribs back when they were throwaway cuts of meat. She would throw in a parsnip, which as a child, I hated! We would eat the soup made from the beef and the veggies, with egg noodles, then eat the beef and veggies afterwards. To this day, I don’t know how she got the beef broth to be so clear. But I hated the dreaded parsnip as a veggie to eat afterwards, No love for the celery either. However as an adult, I would throw a parsnip into a soup or a stew, it added something. Started mashing it in root veggie purées, eventually took to roasting them. I am now a full blown parsnip convert. Celery, not so much…

@Mee , when I was a kid, my Ma would make boiled beef dinners using the short ribs back when they were throwaway cuts of meat. She would throw in a parsnip, which as a child, I hated! We would eat the soup made from the beef and the veggies, with egg noodles, then eat the beef and veggies afterwards. To this day, I don’t know how she got the beef broth to be so clear. But I hated the dreaded parsnip as a veggie to eat afterwards, No love for the celery either. However as an adult, I would throw a parsnip into a soup or a stew, it added something. Started mashing it in root veggie purées, eventually took to roasting them. I am now a full blown parsnip convert. Celery, not so much…
I love celery too 😂. I like it braised the best - but munch on it raw . The only way I have not liked it is pure celery juice - way too salty for me.

The parsnip soup was amazing and i definitely recommend trying a little cardamon in it - it works with the sweetness brilliantly.

Maki & Miso Soup
Cold smoked salmon, avocado, & wasabi
Cold smoke salmon, cucumber, & wasabi
Cucumber
Avocado
Salmon & wasabi

(The last 3 are just or use up whatever is left over that’s not enough to make another whole roll)

Miso Soup
- Dashi
- Awase Miso Paste
- Silken Firm Tofu*
- Fish Cake (if I have any left in the freezer)
- Hot water

Boil water & dashi.
Turn off burner
Stir in miso
Add tofu & fishcake

Takes as long as it takes water to boil.

*Dashi granules & Miso Paste keep halfway till doomsday in the cupboard & fridge, since the first is dried and the second is fermented… but going to the store for tofu isn’t something I do very regularly… so I get the award winning shelf-stable stuff from Mori-Nu. Which is better than most of the local fresh stuff, anyway! Yay! (And DEFINITELY better than the local stuff which cheats and uses dairy lactones, rather than seaweed to process.) Keeps for over a year, so I’ve usually got a smallish tower of the stuff in the pantry.
firm.png

Maki
- Nori
- Sushi Rice
- Cold smoked salmon
- Avocado slices
- Wasabi
- Peeled Cucumber
- Furikaki (the black sesame & salt kind… all the different kinds have their own name, I never really pay attention and just buy the one I want)

It’s not that much harder to roll it, but my kid likes his nori on the inside, rice on the outside… uramaki or an inside out roll… which means using cling wrap on the bamboo mat (which I always find to be obnoxious, and ziplock bags f*ck it all up even worse) and I’m both lazy AND own a maki maker, so? Voila.

For his it’s
- Sushi Rice
- Nori
- Squish with the T side down to create a big ole dent
- Add filling
- fold over Nori & cut -or rip- to size
- Top with rice
- Squish with flat side down
- Pop out of the mold
- Shake over furikake, or top with extra salmon, or both
- Slice into round (well, squares)

Mine’s just nori first, and cut the nori to size before the last squish, so everything is on the inside. Futomaki.

61EkCH9CVLL.jpg

Cuban Mojo Chicken - Spend With Pennies This was my most recent Sunday dinner offerings for my workmates. Wonderful easy flavours. I made the marinade, and froze the chicken in it to take to the north. By the time it had thawed over two days the flavour was right through the meat. Got rave reviews. I have to go back for New Years, found brisket on sale, one of the other nurses has a smoker and there is a barbecue. He is perfectly willing to babysit the meat while it smokes and cooks in minus 35C weather, with or without a blizzard. That is dedication. So I will make the rub and the sauce here and take it up. I already transported the brisket.

Pollo Relleno... Sort of a Southwest version of chicken cordon bleu.

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup Cornmeal
2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning mix (or make your own from my taco recipe but remember to add Salt!)
1 egg
1 4oz. can Green chili peppers rinsed seeded and cut in half lengthwise. (whole preferred but diced works too)
Six 2"x 1/2" square pieces of Monterrey Jack
2 tablespoons fresh Cilantro
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Taco Sauce or Salsa

Rinse the chicken and place it between two pieces of plastic wrap. Take some frustration out and pound it to about 1/4" thick. Remove the plastic.

In a bowl mix the taco seasoning and cornmeal. Mix it well. In another bowl, beat the egg lightly.

Assemble: Chicken breast first, then cheese then chili pepper (or about a tablespoon of diced) sprinkle with black and red pepper. Roll up like a soft taco (one roll from the top, fold the sides in and continue rolling)

Dip in the egg and coat with the cornmeal mix. Either tie or toothpick the rolls together.

Bake @ 375 F for 25-30 minutes.

Serve with taco sauce or salsa and garnish with Cilantro and shredded Monterrey Jack

I like this recipe for its simplicity and its flavor. Makes a nice main for a southwest menu and it goes great with corn on the cob.

Well wish me luck. Going to debone a 16 lb turkey sometime today. I hope i keep all my fingers. I am using a brand spanking new deboning knife, and there isn’t a single knife in my drawer that hasn’t caused a loss of blood and skin on the first couple of uses.

I have most or all of his books. Havent had a dud recipe yet. Just finished the turkey deboning. I did not slice myself with the knife. But the tip poked my thumb, so there was some blood. Then as I was trying to twist the shoulder out, it snapped and the ragged end sliced me nicely in the space between the thumb and forefinger. So there was more blood. Tomorrow the kids are coming over, potato pancakes requested. So I will have a chance to grate my knuckles too.

Back