• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Do Your Monsters Look Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely interesting. I've always believed the real monsters are people.

My nightmares have always been snakes, all throughout childhood, and even the present day.

Then there's the grim reaper, he's there trying to get me to kill myself. He fades in and out, since 2019. So bothersome, I paid an artist to draw him. Whenever I feel suicidal, I walk up to the artwork on my wall and flip him the bird. You can't have me yet.

It's going to sound silly, but he looks like the Grim Reaper, scythe, robe, and all.
I have this too, it's not silly. It's rare to find someone that can relate to it, but yeah, he's a thing. Who knows if he's real, or just a common mythical character that we use to externalize the concept of death.

I think the most frightening monsters are the ones we can’t clearly see, recognize nor describe. In this sense, there is no clear path in which to escape them. They could be anywhere. The black cloak (of the grim reaper, perhaps) might represent the darkness within an entire room or perhaps, even the darkness of night itself. Whatever the case, this formless darkness or this black cloak seem to surround whatever threat resides within it. And so I'll begin to panic until I find a way to divert my attention away from it.

But then my monsters never speak to me. Their silence is frightening in itself. I do, however, know when I'm most likely to experience them. And even though, I understand these monsters are being imagined my frightening emotions of fear have no way of understanding this.

This is definitely interesting. I've always believed the real monsters are people.

My nightmares have always been snakes, all throughout childhood, and even the present day.

Then there's the grim reaper, he's there trying to get me to kill myself. He fades in and out, since 2019. So bothersome, I paid an artist to draw him. Whenever I feel suicidal, I walk up to the artwork on my wall and flip him the bird. You can't have me yet.

I have this too, it's not silly. It's rare to find someone that can relate to it, but yeah, he's a thing. Who knows if he's real, or just a common mythical character that we use to externalize the concept of death.
I always get snake nightmares I've had them for years, though sexual assault nightmares seem to happen more often now.

I also always have nightmares about random bad people trying to get me but I don't normally see them.

Rarely will my dreams involve anything seriously threatening. During my childhood dreams there were frightening attempts to grab me, for whatever reason I didn’t know. Sexual assaults, no. Violence rarely. Sometimes I had been the assailant in self-defense. Being alone and trapped in my dream and searching for an escape is another theme I've experienced.

Snakes covering the floor at my feet, yes, I’ve recalled this from my earlier years. Animal attacks, just one that tried to grab my sister. I’m most often alone in my dreams and sometimes in a dangerous situation. Rarely do others want to connect with me in my dreams. Usually, the assailant desires to connect with the victim in some way, where there is a relationship even, if, a negative one. This is what I think is uncommon about my dreaming. And because I’m the director of my dream, I’m both the victim and the assaultant though, it doesn't seem that way.

Often my dreams will be centers around my inability to connect with others. For example, I’ll find an injured animal in my dream and feel helpless in my failed attempts to help it. To me there is a nightmare. Sometimes, the other being has no desire to meetup with me and I can’t find them. They might not even know that I exist. I'll arrive at their location just as they are leaving. Often I’ll dream of being lost on a remote rural road and alone.

Interestingly, the animals or human-beings in my dreams don’t move toward me. They rarely interact with me and are emotionally distant with their focus elsewhere. This hasn’t always been the case, however — 4 years ago within a dream, a guy that I’d met briefly gave me a brief gentle touch of affection. It wasn’t sexual. But within this dream he had a bandage wrapped around his torso and so, I guess, I was acknowledging to myself that he also suffers from his own injuries. In essence, I came to realize that we shared this common bond. It was a good dream.

So, here’s one dream example I had recently. I think this is sort of funny, looking back on it. In my dream, I'd planned to met a date later that evening (this was a guy I’d once dated n real life who turned out to be a total jerk) Why I would be dating him in my dream is beyond me. Anyway, after a few hours of not being able to find a good skirt and top combo outfit in my closet — it was then about 10:30 that evening while, I was supposed to met him around 8:00. So I thought, should I call him and apologize for my no-show or just forget the whole thing. I must have decided to forget about it, since that’s where my dream apparently ended. This was something that I should have done 50 years ago.

As for the frightening monsters, I only imagine or experience them when I’m consciously awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back