• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What was the most interesting item(s) in your newsfeeds today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a short aside? I physically CANNOT get “Cubs” to lowercase. Stupid autocorrect must be a Chicago fan. I could get behind the Blackhawks <woot!> being capitalized, but FFS. c-u-b-s. Wolf c-u-b-s. Tigre c-u-b-s. Lion c-u-b-s. Grrrrrr.

Technically the most interesting was the city council trying to do a hostile takeover of the firefighting district (& their budget, since the city council is broke... sure... let’s give THEM a budget in the black to strip and force into the red. Roll. Eyes.) and cut firefighting salaries -in the middle of a pandemic- by 12%. Morons.

BUT

The most amaaaaaaazing awesome coolest thing happening in my world today?

This.

Okay. Archeology ain’t my world, anymore, but I can still thrill reading about it!

""By hearing it and seeing it at the same time, you can really start to understand the environment the spider lives in."

This VR environment, with realistic web physics, allows researchers to understand what happens when they mess with parts of the web, too. Stretch a strand, and its tone changes. Break one, and see how that affects the other strands around it. This, too, can help us understand the architecture of a spider's web, and why they are built the way they are.

And, perhaps most fascinatingly, the work enabled the team to develop an algorithm to identify the types of vibrations of a spider's web, translating them into "trapped prey", or "web under construction", or "another spider has arrived with amorous intent". This, the team said, is groundwork for the development of learning to speak spider - at least, tropical tent-web spider."

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmmm... As a career isolator I think his bosses didn’t try hard enough to find a replacement for him. Post that “job” on Craigslist and watch people queue up. Not actually joking.

But on the more serious side of things? 250 active cases of crew abandonment worldwide??? What the everloving f*ck.

I SAW THESE... in 1997. Stationed at New River. Out for a music festival.

The synchronous fireflies were more a local curiosity than a tourist sensation when entomologist Becky Nichols began working at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 1997. But with the rise of social media, word got out. These days, there are about a thousand people out on the trail

it’s weird to think of the Internet intruding, somehow... or like the whole world didn’t already know. Like the Northern/Southern Lights. Even if you’ve never seen them, yourself? You still know it happens. But apparently not.

Last edited:

Mothers Day Massacre -or- Oops! Well...no harm done? ? ? -or- the beginning of Orbital Decay Warfare?

Blows my mind that some news agencies are actually predicting “the” place it will crash, when the experts have a +/- 1 to 4 hour window. That’s a GIANT piece of real estate, at those speeds, from that height. Pretty much a giant band across the planet. IE no way to know until it gets locked into an exact time.

As I sit here in the pandemic...

As of July 1st, we're allowed to grow 4 plants per household in our state (even though it's still not legal federally - grrrr...). I wish we could grow much more than that. I'd be a frequent flyer of juicing the leaves, for sure. Next on my list would be having folks teach me how they make their edibles. One of these days, perhaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back