• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Ky
it always surprises me - no idea why LOL - when someone says they live in my state.
I will continue to wear a mask and people can just give me their stupid looks, I don't care.
Oh, absolutely. I never stopped. Fortunately, I haven't heard of many fights - like in other places - of the nonmasked trying to take masks off the rest of us.

sooooo.....a question to my Ozzy friends...

According to my Trumper neighbor I never want to move to or visit Australia because the police are picking people up right off the sidewalks, beating them and then arresting them for not wearing masks. And if you are unlucky enough to be hospitalized the staff is mercilessly beating and abusing the covid patients that are already there

She knows this because all the pundits say it's so and they can prove it because "people have seen it! It happens all the time! Australian police, doctors and nurses are monsters!!" blah blah

Best I could find in a google search were the same 4 articles repeated over and over about a couple isolated incidents and news about a couple of demonstrations that went south.

So -- guess I shouldn't come visit after all..... ???? Because if it's said by a random pundit it must be true....??? sigh.

people have seen it
They may have. We had a week of demonstrations which, in Melbourne, turned messy. Police were injured, protesters were injured.

So, yeah. We had a protest. Ummm...!!

Crazy police state, obviously!

As for nurses bashing people? I can only begin to imagine the kind of offense that our nursing staff would feel if they heard that their tireless, hard work was being used as political leverage on the other side of the world.

The next time you hear someone suggest that (given the number of assaults against nursing and paramedic staff that is, unfortunately, par for the course), an appropriate response is probably "Shame on you". Ignorance is one thing, arrogance is another.

So alternative explanation I guess re the nurse thing.

We have had a couple covid+ patients who are mad we don't let them out to smoke or whatever so will come out, spit in our faces n be like "now you have covid too so you can't stop me" so we get security who restrain them n take them back to their room.

Then we have family phoning to say we are violating their rights n abusing them n blahblah. So bad nurses (and every other profession) exist. But yeah. Sometimes people are dicks n twist stories 🤷🏻‍♀️

The next time you hear someone suggest that (given the number of assaults against nursing and paramedic staff that is, unfortunately, par for the course), an appropriate response is probably "Shame on you". Ignorance is one thing, arrogance is another.
oh ya - she couldn't have missed how I felt about her idiocy...but you can't reason with a trumper so...... It woudn't have mattered what I said. It's just sad to me that people here can be so incredibly stupid. If it said it on the internet or tv it must be true!!! ugh

but you can't reason with a trumper so
No, but you can ask that they observe some ground rules with you. Assertive communication that lets a person know that certain topics, they should discuss with other people rather than you.

For example, "I respect your opinion, but please don't criticise nurses or front line health staff around me".

That type of response let's them know that having a completely incomprehensible position on something is okay, but that you have limits with the type of verbal diarrhoea that you're prepared to listen to. Free speech does not impose an obligation on others to listen.

For example, "I respect your opinion, but please don't criticise nurses or front line health staff around me".
oh ya -- I've told her this before on several subjects. Goes in one ear and out the other -- because she truly thinks she is helping by spouting her stuff. Luckily I don't have a lot of contact with her so I just wander off once she starts yapping since I know she has zero interest in my opinion on things. It's the only way to keep myself from screaming at her.

But I'm curious about whether "masks indoors" is now the social norm elsewhere as well?

My state had a very early mask mandate. I was wearing a mask for weeks before it was put into place. I think this made people accept wearing masks as we don’t have a state Governor who denies the realities of COVID. I still wear a mask and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. It has prevented me from getting bronchitis and having a croupy cough that makes me sound like a seal. People here don’t look at me like I’m a freak for wearing one. A local thrift store had a massive donation of masks so I stocked up as they were $1/box of 10, for the KN95s. It’s about time for me to switch back to them as it’s too hot to wear them in the summer.

sooooo.....a question to my Ozzy friends...

According to my Trumper neighbor I never want to move to or visit Australia because the police are picking people up right off the sidewalks, beating them and then arresting them for not wearing masks. And if you are unlucky enough to be hospitalized the staff is mercilessly beating and abusing the covid patients that are already there

She knows this because all the pundits say it's so and they can prove it because "people have seen it! It happens all the time! Australian police, doctors and nurses are monsters!!" blah blah

Best I could find in a google search were the same 4 articles repeated over and over about a couple isolated incidents and news about a couple of demonstrations that went south.

So -- guess I shouldn't come visit after all..... ???? Because if it's said by a random pundit it must be true....??? sigh.
Didn't you know that "you can't put anything on the internet that is not true?!!" (Pure joke!) I work for a trumper. He listens to the the talk radio stations from the moment he gets here to when he leaves late at night- and believes all of it! I was surprised he even got his shots. How sad. :(

I ended up with an anti-vaxx/anti-mask/anti-everything patient in my ambulance, for an hours long transport. Not the first one, and not the last one I'm sure. This one asked, as so many have before, if they could take their mask off in the ambulance, and I gave the same reply I always do... a firm ''no'', and a reminder that ''we are in a poorly ventilated tin can'', and ''there's going to be other patients back here after''. I'm also sitting about 12 inches away (that's a footlong sub from Subway btw) and face-to-face with the patients back there, so not exactly a safe distance between us.

This patient didn't like my reply, and proceeded to then bitch and complain about absolutely anything and everything they could think of, for the next hour, and make unreasonable demands. I even had to ask my partner to pull over on the highway, which is quite dangerous for us. And about 2 hours in I was injured and had blood running down my shin. The complaints got so bad that I finally had to take the seat behind the stretcher, where the patient can't see me. That also means I can't see the patient. Once the patient realized that, there were a few more demands, and then they finally settled for a bit.

They settled, because they sneakily took their mask off, without bothering to let me know. Had I known, I could have PPE'd appropriately, and turned on the evac to expel potentially contaminated air rather than recirculating it. But no. This person had me breathe their recirculated potentially contaminated air for 45 minutes. I literally bled for this patient, and in return... a giant F you and a potential prolonged covid exposure.

Covid cleaning an ambulance involves cleaning every exposed surface of the patient compartment... including all the nooks & crannies... and the walls... and the ceiling. It takes a long time, we have to let the unit sit with the doors open for 15+ minutes before we can even start cleaning, and we are out of service for the entire process.

Our next patient was 8 days old.

Was that newborn exposed to covid in our ambulance, from the recirculating air from vents with no filters?

Would that anti-V/M/E patient even give a crap if a paramedic and a newborn caught covid because they chose not to take a simple precaution?

There are real world consequences for these anti-V/M/E behaviours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back