• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety Medications

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I suppose there are a few factors. Firstly, does your doctor know you thoroughly and are they confident that you are not going to misuse the prn dosage? Not saying you will, just asking if that box has been ticked?

Secondly, what is the drug that you are asking to use as prn?
- If it's a highly addictive drug, chances are that few doctors would feel confident in prescribing prn except in very particular patients and specific circumstances.

- In any case, regardless of the drug most doctors, acting in your best interests, will monitor any prn drug closely because if it's not working or you are using it too frequently then another type of drug, another dosage regime, or alternative treatment might need to be considered.
The problem is I can't even get to see a psychiatrist except for the community health one who's seen me once. He doesn't k ow me at all. He just came on board to talk about meds. I 've been prescribed prn s before but this psych doesn't want me to have anything no matter how bad it gets I'm expected to breathe through it. I don't really care what kind just different to the seroquel 25mg because they don't help. I just want something there that I can take in an emergency that works. I'm given prn s for migraine that I keep in the cupboard in case so that's kind of what I want to ask for but I'm not confident in asking

I first told my Psychiatrist that I would be working with my therapist on coping skills for anxiety and I asked... I said, "I want to ask you about the medication Effexor. I heard it could be helpful for anxiety and panic as well as fibromyalgia," .... is that something we could try???" He thought my request was reasonable. Though it is not a prn but to be taken daily.

I also totally agree with what @blackemerald1 has said.
I don't have a regular psychiatrist just one who comes in when I need to talk meds he's not a fan of prn s for severe panic but once in a while I don't have an option I'm that bad.

I've also tried a few meds including effexor I was terrible on it

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even get to see a psychiatrist except for the community health one who's seen me once.

^Don't know what to suggest other than obtain a referral and see a private psychiatrist? Then develop a long term relationship with them and see if that helps.

He doesn't k ow me at all.

^Therefore the reluctance of a practitioner to prescribe drugs is clear?

seroquel 25mg because they don't help.

^Perhaps adjust this medication because imo (and I'm not a pharmacist) 25 mg is a low dose.

I think there is a great deal of merit in learning to control panic/anxiety attacks without medication. It takes a lot of practice and commitment but it is so worthwhile. Certainly at first you may find it uncomfortable and probably not very effective especially when you compare it to dropping a tablet. However, long term - it's by far the best way to deal with what is happening.

^I suppose there are a few factors. Firstly, does your doctor know you thoroughly and are they confident that you are not going to misuse the prn dosage? Not saying you will, just asking if that box has been ticked?

Secondly, what is the drug that you are asking to use as prn?
- If it's a highly addictive drug, chances are that few doctors would feel confident in prescribing prn except in very particular patients and specific circumstances.

- In any case, regardless of the drug most doctors, acting in your best interests, will monitor any prn drug closely because if it's not working or you are using it too frequently then another type of drug, another dosage regime, or alternative treatment might need to be considered.
I don't really care what kind just not seroquel as it doesn't help but occasionally I need some extra help to calm down. This psychiatrist doesn't believe anyone needs prn s for panic.

I first told my Psychiatrist that I would be working with my therapist on coping skills for anxiety and I asked... I said, "I want to ask you about the medication Effexor. I heard it could be helpful for anxiety and panic as well as fibromyalgia," .... is that something we could try???" He thought my request was reasonable. Though it is not a prn but to be taken daily.

I also totally agree with what @blackemerald1 has said.

Yes, I had a doc try to put me on Effexor as a pain med, but I had to say thanks but no thanks, I cannot handle SSRIs!

I don't really care what kind just not seroquel as it doesn't help but occasionally I need some extra help to calm down. This psychiatrist doesn't believe anyone needs prn s for panic.

Can I ask if seeing another doctor is an option?

Can I ask if seeing another doctor is an option?
I'm on a pension so can't afford to go private. I feel like I'm stuck with psychiatrists who meet me once and tell me these meds are what I'm giving you and you need to do a b and c. They don't ask because I've already tried all that over years.

Zoloft takes away my severe irritability, perfectionism, and anxiety about things. On the downside, it f*cks with my memory, and ability to focus and sleep. I do know however, that it is much better than I was before. Which was very similar to borderline personality disorder/bipolar.

Anyone receiving anxiety medication that actually works to relieve your anxiety?

If so, please share with me which medication and dosage you are taking.

I've not had anything that has helped me, except for one time when I was prescribed low dose Ativan/lorazepam. However, that was a one-time thing and before and after all doctors would prescribe is Atarax / Vistaril which I have been telling doctors for years does not work for me.

I have intense anxiety and panic attacks and need some relief. I see my new psychiatrist tomorrow maybe he will prescribe something different for me. Anyway, I would still like to hear about what works for you.

Thanks in advance,
Lionheart
Hi, I suffered for panic attacks for years and severe anxiety, I was put back on sertraline in June after being in desperate state, I am now finally climbing out of a dark hole, it’s given me the push to run, do yoga eat healthy and also start a new career, 6 months after being in despair, it’s helped me a lot to make the changes in my life:), I really hope it works for you?

I was put on 1mg Clonazepam twice a day prn for anxiety, panic, nightmares, and parasomnias. Last year I took it down to one a day because I didn't need 2 anymore. I would like to wean off the last one, but I want to want until the pathology comes back from my cancer surgery. If I'm clear, I will wean off. I'm having trouble getting it filled from my gp, since the Pdoc quit the practice and they aren't replacing her. So my gp has taken over my meds and doesn't want to refill it. I understand how frustrating it can be, but I just want enough to get through this cancer stuff, then I will wean off. They are getting really snooty about any narcotics or benzos. Will it help the individual? They don't think about that, they think about how 700 people in a study act.

I've been on a psychiatric medication called Clozaril since 2011. I take one pill each morning and two pills just before bedtime. Each pill I take is 100 mg per pill.

Clozaril has helped me greatly with my anxiety issues. It's also helped me with my issues with bipolar disorder. I'm grateful that I was prescribed this medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back