• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Architecture School - What Does Everyone Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evie,

After all of your struggles and triumphs, going to architecture school will be an adventure...not to mention a piece of cake in comparison! I know you can do this. You are incredibly talented. It's awesome to to have goals to reach.

Thanks Nam, I appreciate your confidence, and that is a good point, that going to school after everything else I've been through would be a piece of cake. That's a really good way of looking at it. Hope you and your family are doing well, I haven't seen you for a while.

agree on the piece of cake thing. you should deffinitely go for it. it could be a great experience, and in case it starts getting to you you can always slow down a bit and take some time off to be with your family.

i'm in college now, i find that living with other people made it easier for me to keep up with what i'm supposed to do. i don't always talk to them, sometimes i get home and don't say a word and lock up in my room, and then we chat on the internet each one from their room... it's kinda funny. people learn to give you your space and not take it personal after a while. and one my housemates said it's ok if i go to his room to sleep with him if i have nightmares... sometimes i just don't want my housemates to exist, but it was harder when i lived alone.

I say.... kick arse and do what makes you happy. If you want to learn architecture, do it. The real question here is... will it hurt you? If not, then go do it.

Thanks Vera and Anthony. It would make me very happy to go to school, I would love to do it. There's really nothing stopping me except the PTSD. I'm hoping eventually I will be well enough to do it!

I would not doubt work load, school is school. This is your opinion of art, not factual.

Many people believe that art is an easy course load, however the truth is quite the opposite. What Evie was taking, which was illustration to become a comic book artist, is actually quite grueling. In a subject such as mathematics, there are essentially right and wrong answers, and if you acquire the skill know the right answers, you will pass the course. No such black and whites exist in illustration. The measuring rod is your peers, you are in direct competition with other students. It is a highly competitive field, with only the best succeeding, not unlike singing or acting.

Yes, I totally agree Kathy. Art is not the easy option. I used to get that comment all the time when I was at school and art college. In fact in my first year we had about 80% theory including marketing, art history, advertising etc. We had to pass every section of the course, it didn't matter how well you could draw if you couldn't do the other parts. I would imagine an Architecture course has a lot of technical aspects as well as the creative.

If it helps you Evie, I am actually going back to education myself next year. I am going to begin learning new and different things again. For me, accountancy the next couple of years which I found I could do by correspondence, so I am. PTSD should not stop you from learning or living life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back