• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Christians Unite!

So, I don't see tolerance for terrible behaviour being Christian, nor abusive people being Christ-like, in any way.

Oh @mumstheword I don't either. I didn't say I saw God in all behaviours or actions or choices, quite the opposite. And I am not referring to tolerance, or simply burying my head in the sand, for me.

I do think hurt people often hurt people. And there's those down right mean or sadistic, too. But I have no idea where someone went off the tracks.

Does everyone have a capacity for better choices? Idk. Not for me to judge because I don't know nor understand. That's a very different thing to me than saying an action is egregious..

In that way I relate to @Gwaihir ; if I return in kind I am doing no different. I think it was Thomas Merton that said that, and many psychologists, that we rationalize our own actions but condemn others' (eg they are lazy, we are tired). So turn the other cheek becomes simply don't add more of the same, or continue with what never changes anything based on past precedent. But, it still doesn't mean I understand, or forgive, or trust, or am not hurt. But even that still becomes my own work. JMHO though. I probably worded it badly. :(

I try to see what good there is in everyone, even if there is just a tiny bit of it. For those who have abused me that isn't easy, but it helps clear away some of my bitterness and resentment. Also, I wrote more about this in a thread in the Therapy section here. That thread is about forgiveness.

Please, I don't mean to be offensive and I am a Christian, but, I almost prefer the Hindu saying, for what I think you are both saying here, which is Namaste ~ The God in me honours the God in you, which applies to every one alike.

If that's what you meant I am totally on board with you. I am a Christian who practises yoga and grew up very "Eastenized" and my particularly Christian sect, that I came in through, is a lot more syncretic that western Christianity, and embraces yoga.

As for forgiveness, that's to do with acceptance, to me, and the "Do no harm" creed that I espouse to, but, yeah isn't the same as tolerance or trust, it's where I slip into my Mother mode and see bad behaviour as a mother would see her naughty children, you don't like their behaviour but you still love that which God loves, the being, the soul, the infinite God's creation and part that IS God, the child, despite what they do, God .is Love so is the only way (that I've found) to, properly love, to connect with my God-part (after all the Kingdom is within ) .

What I was saying though, is that Yeshua stood up to bullies, he didn't fakely pretend nice, out of cowardice, and I think a lot of modern Christians overlook that (not saying that any one here is like that, not for me to judge, or know, one way or another).

I go to a small church. We all wear masks and social distancing is required. I also go to our prayer meeting and we also hand out boxes of food for those who are in need. I am doing a Bible study called It Is Written. Not saying this to brag, but to give you all hope. Find a small church. It can help you through these difficult. Times.

I go to a small church. We all wear masks and social distancing is required. I also go to our prayer meeting and we also hand out boxes of food for those who are in need. I am doing a Bible study called It Is Written. Not saying this to brag, but to give you all hope. Find a small church. It can help you through these difficult. Times.
We were at small churches in central Oregon and Portland. My husband was our assistant pastor in central Oregon. We have watched our Portland pastor's sermons since we got to New Mexico in late July or early August but we haven't found a local church, yet. Granted, we just moved to this town last week. We knew we weren't settled and it was hard to look for a church knowing that. It is something we need to consider soon since this is a longer-term home. Though, I imagine it will be hard to get established right now. I still see myself as a member of Grace Church in Portland for now and we still have contact but I really miss actually seeing people in real life.

I found it! Its Lamentations 3:22-26.
One of the nice things I've found about living on a spherical, rotating planet is that even if I mess up in the middle of the day, SOMEWHERE on Earth it's morning and I can cash in on the mercies there. ;-) In a similar vein, as He has cast our sins as far as the East is from the West, I'm glad it doesn't read, "....as far as the North is from the South...." because that's only a finite distance. Thanks for putting up with the silliness. Actually, I'm feeling quite empty and overwhelmed right now. Fortunately, God doesn't get upset with any of us for such times. I see in 1 Kings 19, Elijah has a "nervous breakdown" and still God still gives him the gift of not seeing death (2 Kings 2). I guess we're all in pretty good company, eh? 🙂

I was brought up in a secular home. My parents even made me give back a small Nativity that could have hung on our tree, to my kindergarten teacher, because we didn't believe. I was just mystified, no one explained what we didn't believe to me either. I had loved all the little people and animals in it and was sad I could not have it.

I wonder if we might like to share some Christmas experiences here? I'd love to hear what pleasant ones you all would care to share. I'd love to read them.

Back