Sufferer Confused about sibling sex abuse

Patvi

New Here
Hi,

I was sexually abused (I think) by my brother, who is 4yrs older than me. There were 5 incidents I kind of remember. I'm confused if this was enough to warrant the trauma that professionals say that I have experienced and be the cause of PTSD

~ 6yrs - I woke up to my brother touching me down there and he had placed my hand on his penis

Sometime later - he took me riding on his bicycle. Said he needed to adjust the seat and asked me to sit. Then went on to touching me

Sometime before 14 - I think we were playing house. He asked to pretend to be a baby. And me the mum. Asked to breastfeed him.

Sometime before 14 - he exposed himself erected to me and pretended to be asleep. We were sleeping in the same room.

14+ - he heard me masturbatory in the bathroom. Asked me to join him in watching sex scenes in movies.

Is this enough to make a big deal about?

Welcome to the community!

Whether or not something rises to the level of PTSD, or any other disorder? Is completely beside the point… if it’s creating problems for you.? It’s creating problems for you.

Working with a good therapist can not only assist in dealing with those problems, but can direct your focus IF there is ALSO a disorder on board, mucking things up. No matter what that disorder is.

Hi Patvi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experiences with us. I'm really sorry to hear about what you went through. It's important to remember that I am not a mental health professional, but I can provide some general information and guidance.

It's understandable that you're questioning the validity of your experiences and the impact they may have had on you. Trauma affects individuals differently, and the severity can vary depending on various factors, including personal resilience and support systems.

However, based on the incidents you described, it is possible for these experiences to have caused trauma and contributed to PTSD symptoms. It's crucial to remember that only a qualified mental health professional can provide an accurate diagnosis and evaluate the full extent of your trauma.

If you haven't already done so, I would strongly encourage you to consider reaching out to a trauma-focused therapist or counselor. They will be able to provide you with the necessary support and guidance to help you navigate your feelings and experiences.

In the meantime, please know that you are not alone. It can be incredibly helpful to connect with others who have gone through similar experiences. Our peer-to-peer community at myptsd.com offers a safe and understanding space where you can share your thoughts, seek support, and learn from others who have also been impacted by trauma.

On myptsd.com, you will find different forums dedicated to specific topics related to PTSD and CPTSD (complex PTSD). These forums can be great resources for connecting with others who can relate to your experiences and provide valuable insights.

Remember, you deserve compassion, understanding, and healing. Don't hesitate to seek professional help and reach out for support. Together, we can navigate this journey of healing and recovery.

Take care,

Riley Jones

Welcome to the community!

Whether or not something rises to the level of PTSD, or any other disorder? Is completely beside the point… if it’s creating problems for you.? It’s creating problems for you.

Working with a good therapist can not only assist in dealing with those problems, but can direct your focus IF there is ALSO a disorder on board, mucking things up. No matter what that disorder is.
Thank you for your support. I am seeing a trauma psychologist. But I feel stuck in the same place in terms of progress. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a psychiatrist.

Hi Patvi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experiences with us. I'm really sorry to hear about what you went through. It's important to remember that I am not a mental health professional, but I can provide some general information and guidance.

It's understandable that you're questioning the validity of your experiences and the impact they may have had on you. Trauma affects individuals differently, and the severity can vary depending on various factors, including personal resilience and support systems.

However, based on the incidents you described, it is possible for these experiences to have caused trauma and contributed to PTSD symptoms. It's crucial to remember that only a qualified mental health professional can provide an accurate diagnosis and evaluate the full extent of your trauma.

If you haven't already done so, I would strongly encourage you to consider reaching out to a trauma-focused therapist or counselor. They will be able to provide you with the necessary support and guidance to help you navigate your feelings and experiences.

In the meantime, please know that you are not alone. It can be incredibly helpful to connect with others who have gone through similar experiences. Our peer-to-peer community at myptsd.com offers a safe and understanding space where you can share your thoughts, seek support, and learn from others who have also been impacted by trauma.

On myptsd.com, you will find different forums dedicated to specific topics related to PTSD and CPTSD (complex PTSD). These forums can be great resources for connecting with others who can relate to your experiences and provide valuable insights.

Remember, you deserve compassion, understanding, and healing. Don't hesitate to seek professional help and reach out for support. Together, we can navigate this journey of healing and recovery.

Take care,

Riley Jones
Hi Riley, thanks for your understanding. I feel like I take 1 step forward then 1 step back in terms of actually admiting that harm was caused. I am seeing a trauma psychologist and have been diagnosed with PTSD by a psychiatrist.

Welcome to the forum.

The whole “is this even bad enough?” question haunts a lot of us. You’re allowed to be compassionate with yourself - it’s causing you distress and dysfunction, and life doesn’t need to be that hard.

Hi,

I was sexually abused (I think) by my brother, who is 4yrs older than me. There were 5 incidents I kind of remember. I'm confused if this was enough to warrant the trauma that professionals say that I have experienced and be the cause of PTSD

~ 6yrs - I woke up to my brother touching me down there and he had placed my hand on his penis

Sometime later - he took me riding on his bicycle. Said he needed to adjust the seat and asked me to sit. Then went on to touching me

Sometime before 14 - I think we were playing house. He asked to pretend to be a baby. And me the mum. Asked to breastfeed him.

Sometime before 14 - he exposed himself erected to me and pretended to be asleep. We were sleeping in the same room.

14+ - he heard me masturbatory in the bathroom. Asked me to join him in watching sex scenes in movies.

Is this enough to make a big deal about?
Im sorry you had to go through this
I hope you know it’s not your fault and stay compassionate to yourself

Back