• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Covid ‘long haulers’ support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, back in March, I started having symptoms and I initially thought it was allergies. Then I got lethargic. Then the cough started and then the fever. Shortness of breath. I was sick for a very long time. I did the test in later April (regular people weren't getting tested before that unless they knew they had been around someone who had it etc). My test came back negative but given the symptoms, both my GP and the doctor who tested me said it was most likely a false negative. I have, thankngoodness, recovered but there are some lingering effects...I wheeze a lot more than I used to and get shortness of breath even after mild activity.

While I don't know for sure that it was Covid, it was still a nasty illness that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Anyway, notbsure if what I shared helps at all. I do hope you get better soon!

@barefoot My GP told me I have an underactive thyroid and didn't hear me about long covid.

If you feel up to it at some point would you list the symptoms you've been having? No need - just read back your post.

Hope you're doing ok

@reallydown Thanks for sharing. Your initial experience sounds like how mine started - I thought it was allergies too. Then it worsened over the next few days and, by the time I spoke to GP, it was pretty clear that it was Covid. There was no local testing at that time but I got tested weeks later and result was negative, which wax what I’d expected. I read on the NHS site at the time that tests are most effective if taken up to two weeks from onset of symptoms. I can’t remember exactly how it was worded, but my understanding was that, after that, it was more likely to return as negative. So, yours may have been a false negative or it was just too late for it to show up. Glad that you are much improved and largely recovered but sorry to hear you still have some lingering symptoms. Latest stats here are that 1 in 10 will still have symptoms after three months - that’s a lot of people!

@Teasel Annoying that your GP wasn’t prepared to even consider long Covid. I take it they diagnosed under active thyroid after doing blood tests not just going by your symptoms?

Even if bloods have indicated thyroid, doesn’t mean you can’t have long Covid as well - or that the thyroid hasn’t been impacted by Covid. I’ve seen a few people on long Covid Facebook group who now have thyroid problems as a result of having Covid.

I’m not doing too badly at the moment, thanks, but still not as good as before my December lung infection.

Main thing at the moment is major fatigue. Doing anything, whether it’s slight physical exertion (like taking the bins out) or mental activity (like doing my tax return 🤮) completely wipes me out.

Brain fog is still bad. Hard to concentrate, very forgetful, difficulty understanding, easily confused!

And shortness of breath/tightness in chest/wheezing etc is still on-going but an inhaler seems to help a bit.

Also, my voice is hoarse. I have been hoarse/croaky since April. Which is down to lungs/chest, I think - it’s not that I have a sore throat.

And tinnitus!

For now, intense rib pain, bad chest pain, GI issues have settled down. So I am not in any major pain at the moment, which is a big plus!

Have got my lung function tests on Thursday!

Good luck for your lung function tests @barefoot 🤞

Yes, diagnosis based on blood tests. I was told that they show an underactive thyroid and that I don't have cover currently. Though I had copied symptoms last March so I'm hardly surprised I don't have it now.

I’ve seen a few people on long Covid Facebook group who now have thyroid problems as a result of having Covid.

Good to know, thank you!

Main thing at the moment is major fatigue. Doing anything, whether it’s slight physical exertion (like taking the bins out) or mental activity (like doing my tax return 🤮) completely wipes me out.
This has very much been me, but not constantly, in waves. Though even when I've been feeling better, it's not completely better by any means.
I have had 2 days of feeling really quite good this week for the first time in a while. Am so grateful for it. Having said that, it is feeling really quite well so long as I don't do much.

Brain fog is still bad. Hard to concentrate, very forgetful, difficulty understanding, easily confused!

Yes, I read that memory problems - which have defo been worse lately can be down to thyroid. See if it improves with this thyroid medication. Will have blood tests again after 2 months.

And shortness of breath/tightness in chest/wheezing etc is still on-going but an inhaler seems to help a bit.

Yes, this is the only one of my symptoms that is just not a symptom of thyroid problems and I have had increased breathlessness since last March.

And tinnitus!
Find this quite often! Also headaches and muscle aches.

For now, intense rib pain, bad chest pain, GI issues have settled down. So I am not in any major pain at the moment, which is a big plus
So glad you're feeling a bit better, wellest wishes.

I think it sounds like we have fairly similar experiences @Teasel The coming in waves and feeling better - but not fully better - in between seems common for long Covid.

And, as you say, I can sometimes feel quite pleased that I’m feeling a bit better - then realise I haven’t really been doing anything and, as soon as I do, I feel worse again! It’s very frustrating.

Probably worth seeing how you get on with the thyroid meds. My partner has been taking them for several years now and it did take quite some time to get her levels right. So, I’d say it’s unlikely that you’ll feel dramatically different very quickly. Though you may be lucky!

If you get more Covid-like relapses, it might be worth getting a second opinion from another GP at your practice.

Hoping the thyroid meds help. When my partner eventually got her meds to the correct level after a few dosage adjustments, she really did improve. Wishing the same for you!

Thanks @barefoot Is it ok to ask about what symptoms your partner had with the thyroid issue? Was hers an under active thyroid too?
Yes, of course.

I think it actually first came up because she was having problems with her periods. They had become very erratic and she would basically just randomly bleed like crazy - not just like a heavy period (sorry if this is tmi, but that was the key reason why she ended up at GP)

She was also very tired and had low mood. Everything made her cry!

She was like it for a year or so then saw another GP who took it more seriously and did some proper investigations. Discovered she had an under active thyroid and polycystic ovaries, so they treated both. As I said, it took a bit of time to get the correct dosage of thyroxine - regular blood tests to check levels then adjust meds accordingly. But then it all settled down. A couple of times since she has gone through spells of feeling very low, teary and tired. She goes for thyroid blood test and low and behold her levels have dropped so she needs a dose increase!

Her mum was diagnosed with under active thyroid a few months before she was. She had very low mood, was very lethargic and had gained weight but she couldn’t understand why.
She didn’t feel herself at all. Blood test showed under active thyroid and she’s stayed on a low dose all this time. It really made a difference to her very quickly - she said she felt like herself again.

Hope they help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back