• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have an internal monologue?

I just came across this video where somebody interviews someone regarding her not having an internal monologue. I thought I was the only one with this. I'm curious, are there others here that don't have an internal monologue? If so, do you relate with what she described in the video with her answers?

OK, I'm confused.

When I read - or type, for that matter - I have the inner monologue. Sometimes when I am trying to figure out a complex coding or math problem I might almost speak the process out loud, sometimes with even my lips moving. But those are the only times really.

The rest of the time my thoughts are more like feelings.

Like if I see a donut on the kitchen counter I don't have the inner monologue of "Oh, there's a donut. That looks tasty. I'd like to eat that, but better not because it's bad for me." Instead I would have a feelings of lust or hunger followed by a feelings of guilt or shame.

Is that just a me thing?

The rest of the time my thoughts are more like feelings.
Right. Our brains do a whole lot of work that doesn’t always get reflected in our inner monologue.

For example, if I’m tying my shoelaces, my brain is doing lots of thinking. It’s making my fingers move the laces in really specific ways. But, I couldn’t express that in an inner monologue even if I wanted to.

Feelings and behaviours are things our brains do very often without stopping to check in with our inner monologue. Actually, getting our emotions to stop and check in with us before dictating what behavioural response we follow that with is a skill that loads of people try and learn - think Mindfulness, CBT, DBT, etc.

I don't think in words or images. I don't know how I think! I've never been able to describe it. It's like pre-words, extremely fast, conceptual data. But not images, I have no iconic production ability in my brain almost at all, so I don't see lists of things, or images.
Aphantasia is the lack of mental imagery. About 4% of the world's population have no or very little mental imagery, according to an episode of the PODcast Instant Genius, in an interview with a British researcher.

I have an internal monologue. I have learned to refrain from speaking my "logs" out loud but it is not easy sometimes. And sometimes I need to voice my "logs" so my brain can finish processing whatever it was that needed to be processed. I view my "logs" as my brain working super hard to figure something out and it needs my conscious brain to help...I get this noisy "log" in my head to work it out. But maybe it is not a monologue....but a dialogue or conversation of all my facets chiming in. I have no idea. Interesting topic.

Mine is quite a bit more than this - I have a cortical visual impairment. It impacts my iconic (visualization) memory but also my vision on a regular basis. My brain doesn't interpret the visual signals correctly and I will skip, miss, delete or mistake one thing for another very often!
there is no concerned/car emoji -- that sounds exhausting

I had no idea how I thought until I read this thread, so I've been looking at what's going on internally more.

I think in words when I'm rehearsing what I want to say or when I'm trying to write something down like now... I guess that's when I need words.

If I'm thinking about everyday stuff like whatever's around me or what I'm going to eat or do next, it's just a series of feelings - like/drawn towards or don't like/turn away from. No words.

If I'm thinking about more complex or meaningful stuff,bits always abstract images, sometimes brief fragments or sometimes like a film playing out in my minds eye.

Back