• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you need PTSD to post here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to quote people because um, I feel like I triggered half the site so um, I'm not gonna drag anyone back to read my blahblah. So I'll almost definitely miss things cos usually I use quotes to remind myself wtf my point was when I started typing..

Anthony, I appreciate the official viewpoint.

I'm not talking about anyone that I have decided doesn't meet criteria cos uh thats not my business basically, and I haven't, I'm purely meaning members that have said they have no diagnosis for whatever reasons, all of which are valid enough for me.

And re me SHing in this thread, heh. I dont agree. I think the main thing I find unusual re my own diagnosis doubts (most recent post at least) is that I see a lot of trauma gatekeeping, but never *symptom* gatekeeping. So I was like "I understand it meets critA but I don't feel my symptoms currently fit" n was just told that because my trauma meets critA it's totes PTSD (not saying everyone said this, there was obv helpful replies too from quite a few folks, including you siniang) It's like sometimes people forget that critA and critE (that one about drugs etc) aren't the only criteria. But everyone has very strong opinions on those ones.

It's just sometimes seemed very specific way to judge members, while ignoring other aspects of the diagnosis. In my own personal opinion.

And obv anyone can probably read through my posts if any of you are having a particularly boring day (not recommended, heh), and find me being a massive dick to new people too. I can't think of specific occasions but I'm not confident that I haven't either. So yeah, all a bit hypocritical probably and just my own current thoughts on it.

It's like sometimes people forget that critA and critE (that one about drugs etc) aren't the only criteria. But everyone has very strong opinions on those ones.
I’m not so sure about that? The rest of the criteria are talked about almost constantly... we have whole forums / subforums for them.

Where A&E (hehehe, sorry not sorry) tend to come up with new people is that none of the symptoms of PTSD are unique to the disorder.
- 10 people can have nearly every symptom on the list and have 10 different disorders, because those symptoms aren’t coming from trauma.
- Similarly? 10 people can all experience the same trauma, and have 10 different disorders. Trauma doesn’t equal PTSD.

So if a person is missing A, or experiencing symptoms resulting from E? That’s a GIANT flashing sign with dancing girls and fireworks that the symptoms they’re experiencing are sourced elsewhere than PTSD.

It’s one of those... I cannot tell you what you have, but anyone wih any experience in the subject can tell you that you haven’t been pregnant for 4 years. Because pregnancy doesn’t last for 4 years. And you’re not a quadriplegic if you’re walking around, and you’re not deaf if you can hear, or blind if you can see, and don’t have PTSD if....

Just being alive and paying the barest attention to the world around you teaches people what pregnancy, being paralyzed, deaf, blind “mean”. It’s easy for people to say, therefore, what they AREN’T. It takes great big giant whopping study/degrees/supervision spanning decades to determine/DDX what something IS.

But to have experience in a disorder like PTSD? Takes more than just absorbing it via pop-culture. Most of us here, have that. So explaining A&E is super basic just kicking general knowledge about a subject we’re as familiar with as the average person is about pregnancy, paralyzation, blindness, deafness.

I really question the idea that it’s treating someone badly to NOT share super basic general knowledge. To me it seems like treating someone badly to keep it from them. <<< Clearly, there are differing opinions on this. Mine just happens to fall on the informed consent side.

Last edited:
I'm not going to quote people because um, I feel like I triggered half the site
Speaking Of Basic 😁 Ahem! AKA Putting on my mod hat for a moment.

We are, each of us, responsible for minding our own triggers/stressors. It is NOT your responsibility to avoid triggering others, nor is it your responsibility for other people’s emotional monitoring and regulation. That’s their responsibility.

What maaaaaay be your responsibility is looking at why you take someone else stating that they’re triggered as something to feel guilty or bad about, instead of a statement of fact / warning to others that they’re not entirely rational at the moment.

Community Constitution

Individual Responsibility​

All members are expected to manage their own emotional and psychological regulation. In the event that a member consistently engages in disruptive behavior and does not progress towards self-regulation, that member will either be temporarily or permanently removed from the community.

MyPTSD does not use trigger warnings. Mind reading what could be a trigger for another is a negative thinking style, a problem all PTSD sufferers need to correct at some level. Whilst some view its use as a courtesy, it is impossible to know what will, or will not, trigger another person, regardless the graphic detail contained. After all, this is a space where those affected can discuss trauma and its consequences.

I really question the idea that it’s treating someone badly to NOT share super basic general knowledge. To me it seems like treating someone badly to keep it from them. <<< Clearly, there are differing opinions on this. Mine just happens to fall on the informed consent side
I don't think it's that the info should be hidden, it's more how it's said sometimes by some people more than content.

Plus, I genuinely don't think I know *anyone* that can't fit themselves under critA. Which is a large part of why I find it odd why it's so exclusive. Like I have gone through all my close friends and family and literally all would fit, and as far as I'm aware, none have PTSD. I really don't think critA is rare, I'd probably go as far to say that a lack of critA (even if not affected by it) would be the more unusual thing in an average adult.

But it's also fair to say Im surrounded by first responders, lived in some not so great areas around not so great people so maybe my views are skewed by the people I'm around etc.

What maaaaaay be your responsibility is looking at why you take someone else stating that they’re triggered as something to feel guilty or bad about
😂😂 🤷🏻‍♀️

Plus, I genuinely don't think I know *anyone* that can't fit themselves under critA.
That's interesting, because I know almost no people in my own life who could fit into CritA, besides myself and maybe one or two other people.

Maybe that says something about our own personal life situations, and maybe it's not something people can generalize?

Or maybe people around me just don't share their CritA-level traumas.

🤷‍♂️

But it's also fair to say Im surrounded by first responders, lived in some not so great areas around not so great people so maybe my views are skewed by the people I'm around etc.
Maybe so!

It's an interesting question,...

When I came here I was diagnosed but I was still fighting it with everything I had because I refused to believe it. So I lurked for a bit and saw over and over people who were going thru the same things I was. Similar traumas, same symptoms, same struggles with functioning. It was an awesome feeling to see that maybe, just maybe, someone out there could understand

So why did I land here in the first place? Because I googled PSTD and a place called myptsd popped up. A quick look at the site and I knew it was going to be for and by people who had the same challenges just getting thru the day that I did. I didn't go to myanxiety or mycancer or even myfibro. I ended up on myptsd - because it was for me. It met what I needed.

When I see people who aren't diagnosed posting here I often think that they are wondering about what happened to them and if it matches what they see here. If so, it hopefully sends them into looking for help because this site normalizes what they are feeling about their experience and we make it ok to talk about it. So in that case no, a formal diagnosis wouldn't be necessary. It's the struggle, not the cause, that's important.

But - I've also seen the attention seekers who want to come here and blah blah about general stressors in their life that they are just sure have caused ptsd - even without crit a events or symptoms or diagnosis. That seems to be more about announcing they have the trendy illness of the day than actually seeking help. Oh look, I have ptsd! yay me! I'm special! Feel bad for me!

Those people irritate the crap out of me.

Does it mean they shouldn't be here? Nope
It means I need to put them on ignore and let them blah blah to people who are more patient and tolerant than I am until they figure it out

Yep. This was a challenge for me too at first - because most of the people I know have been thru a crit a situation. But that alone doesn't necessarily cause ptsd as much as what happens next. Going thru a life threatening experience and getting support afterwards probably wont cause it. Going thru a life threatening experience and being blamed or told to suck it up and move on? ya...welcome to ptsd land

@Chris-duck , yep you're not responsible for people's triggers. I came off this thread and came back on, and that's my choice. I don't think the thread has triggered me, but it is annoying the hell out of me! But that says more about where my head is at obviously ..!

Not having a diagnosis doesn't mean someone doesn't have PTSD.

I personally don't see a diagnosis as 'the' answer.
For me: the answer is in therapy and reflection and thinking and processing.

Essentially, my point is: my undiagnosed ass is taking space on this forum regardless of whether someone thinks I should be here or not!

I haven't seen much of people coming on here 'attention seeking', but then I still feel quite 'new' here as I joined in May 2020. But I do see people who are maybe very young and struggling and needing support. Whether this is the right place for them or not...kindness in showing and saying that is key? And offering alternatives for them to get support.

@Chris-duck , yep you're not responsible for people's triggers. I came off this thread and came back on, and that's my choice. I don't think the thread has triggered me, but it is annoying the hell out of me! But that says more about where my head is at obviously ..!

Not having a diagnosis doesn't mean someone doesn't have PTSD.

I personally don't see a diagnosis as 'the' answer.
For me: the answer is in therapy and reflection and thinking and processing.

Essentially, my point is: my undiagnosed ass is taking space on this forum regardless of whether someone thinks I should be here or not!

I haven't seen much of people coming on here 'attention seeking', but then I still feel quite 'new' here as I joined in May 2020. But I do see people who are maybe very young and struggling and needing support. Whether this is the right place for them or not...kindness in showing and saying that is key? And offering alternatives for them to get support.

@Movingforward10
You contribute a lot of great input on this site. Thank you.

Plus, I genuinely don't think I know *anyone* that can't fit themselves under critA.
That's about right too. Most people experience a traumatic event within their life that meets the criterion. It's the minority that go on to develop PTSD though. This is why we accept all who fit criterion A, PTSD or not as a result. If someone has experienced an event of such traumatic level, and are looking for help to process their emotions about that event, then that is our bread and butter - peer support. Peer support (family, friends, known people, people who can be contacted to talk with) stops the majority of PTSD ever developing according to studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back