• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Twitch?

Does anyone else have involuntary muscle twitches?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised to see a thread about twitching. I sit and watch m y toes move and twitch on their own. I see the muscles in my legs move. It's like looking at a bag of cats moving inside.

The feeling is so strange to see body parts move and have no control over them. I hate when my toes start twitching because they eventually start cramping up and moving directions that they are not designed for. It is painful when you toes turn around side ways and cross over eachother.

But yes to twitching and it drives me crazy

I 'twitch' sometimes when I'm just about to fall asleep - usually arms or legs.

Twitching when falling asleep is known as a myoclonic twitch. Don't ask me how I know...it's just one of those tidbits you pick up along the way. I've heard two theories: Your body thinks it's falling and this is an attempt to right itself. And when you relax to sleep your respiration also relaxes and sometimes your brain thinks you've stopped breathing or are not breathing enough and 'jerks' you to make you start breathing again. Don't know which is true. I've done that type of twitching all my life.

The other type of twitching is my startle response that now set into high as its default. Even a thought about twitching can make me twitch. It's become just another thing for me to get used to with PTSD.

Lisa

I get a funny eye twich everynow and then. I'll have to pay attention to it next time to see if I can connected with stress. Would that be a muscle spasm? Cause I get those a lot...in my legs and in my arms. *ponders*

-xxarmywifexx

I have what I call body shudders- I'll have a period of 30 seconds or so of shuddering in my back and shoulders. I've had them for as long as I can recall and have no idea where they come from (I'm currently not taking any medication). As far as I can tell the shudders aren't triggered by anything- it just comes out of nowhere.

Right after my trauma I had facial twitches, then they went away....I stopped counseling and things got way out of hand, panic attacks galore, they came back. Now, in counseling again and on meds I dont get the face twitches anymore but when I'm upset my head will jerk and I get the shakes bad.

Facial twitching started while I was taking lamictal and since not taking it anymore, it is still there over the right eye. annoying!

Can't believe that I'm reading this! Twitches, yes, yes yes. I suppose I thought they were my own fault or something!

Legs n face if I am not sleeping or if I am having nightmare. The eyelids and bottom lip during the day and the legs at night. I avoid rubbing my eyes, that helps. I lie on my belly and rub my legs and count backwards from 100 when I am in bed, that helps.

Biggest Hugs to everyone xxx

My left eye began to twitch on and off a couple weeks ago.

It drives me mad, because it'll stop long enough to acknowledge it.

Then it just starts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back