• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Emotional Support Dog Separation During Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really should go through the proper channels to make your dog an emotional support animal before calling your dog one. Emotional support animals have legal protections, in the US, and you and the animal have legal protections. To live in an non-pet friendly place and to board the cabin with you on an airplane. But there are proper channels to make the animal an emotional support animal. A doctor advising as such, and you having a need that warrents a need of an emotional support animal. As far as I know, it isn't a thing of a self assigning emotional support animals as then you'd have a bunch of people living in non-pet friendly places with self assigned emotional support animals.

That would then fix the non-pet friendly place. Therapist's are still having sessions. I'd say see one and get your dog "prescribed" (if you will) as an emotional support animal. This is for any future protections as well. Who knows when that will need to be used. Hotels? I mean, so many things. Especially right now.

When it comes to your boyfriend, prioties. Your mental health should be your first priototy. I have a service dog. My need is to have my service dog with me at all times. If a man told me "no" when it comes with having my service dog at his place, that's his place. I would have to respect that. That said, I wouldn't be there either. I would be with my service dog, where ever that is. Period.

Hopefully that helps some.

On a further note those same people that are getting fake ESA/Service animal documentation online and paying for it. HUD issued new guidelines this year for the Fair Housing Act and the rental owner/apartment complex owner does not have to honor those. They can request the documentation from your GP or PDoc.

Thank you for these posts. I have a dog and I have had boundary issues with others. I appreciate being to read these and gain insight. I never support shaming or judging people. I do see how other people in our lives can be very dysfunctional and manipulative and not even know it. So perhaps the relationship needs to end.

On a further note those same people that are getting fake ESA/Service animal documentation online and paying for it. HUD issued new guidelines this year for the Fair Housing Act and the rental owner/apartment complex owner does not have to honor those. They can request the documentation from your GP or PDoc.
This was a the law as it pertains to HUD/DOJ in the United States. Know your rights.

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/huddojstatement.pdf

Do you have a link to the changes to the Fair Housing Act? Your posted link is from 2004.

Pay particular attention to pages 9-11 since most of us with psychiatric service animals do not necessarily have a disability that is readily noticeable. It also mentions about all the fake documents on the internet and that the landlord may request documentation from your medical doctor stating your need for the animal.

that the landlord may request documentation from your medical doctor stating your need for the animal.

I ran into this recently with a service dog. My orginal letter was from 2012 and they wanted an updated one. Which I got and provided of course. Was just curious if that was legal or not. Cant read right now but will.

Hi, fellow sufferers!

Remember this thread?
Sufferers Must Read This Prior to Posting

I'm bringing it to your attention, because clearly a number of you forgot what forum you were in.

I'm glad the thread has been useful for the OP. That being said: this forum isn't the place for sufferers to go on and on about ESA/SA topics. Feel free to resume those conversations over in the Service Dog Handler Lobby, or the Emotional Support Animal corner.

(And @PenelopeB - you're welcome to post over there as well; supporters can use the whole board, we just as that they are mindful of when it's appropriate to join the conversation, and when it's not.)
Not to hurt your feelings Penelope.. But this really isn't a PTSD question.... But we're glad to be here for you anyway!!!
The OP's question was entirely appropriate for the supporter's area. OP's fiancee has cPTSD.

I'm going to close this discussion, now. @PenelopeB - I'm glad you+your fiancee found a way forward! You're welcome to open a new thread to update, or get support on a separate issue, whenever you like.

Questions, ask via contact us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back