• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Gardening

Thought I’d share my little seedlings that have sprouted and are growing - I have always been a notorious plant killer (loved the plants to death, I think) but over the last year or so none have died on me!!

Attachments

• 34A744FA-C34B-4F27-A58D-6844BAF8D5DA.jpeg
    34A744FA-C34B-4F27-A58D-6844BAF8D5DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
Thought I’d share my little seedlings that have sprouted and are growing - I have always been a notorious plant killer (loved the plants to death, I think) but over the last year or so none have died on me!!
Cha. It took living with a horticulturist to teach me that I can’t treat plants like animals, and have to ignore the hell out of them -even the ones that require a lot of work- if I want them to thrive.

Now I have a tiger thumb 😉 I do great with some species, kill others. Better than all-black, though!

so I planted one of the extra blue hostas inside...the ground is not ready outside yet..and this special one is gonna be in the veggie garden to cheer me up while I work! It sprouted already! also the ginger is sprouted. Is anyone else trying ginger this year?

I live on a large property with several different kinds of gardens. I want to try doing a cottage garden this year. I've got it laid out for when the weather finally turns to spring here, but I'm still undecided on what to plant. I know I want hydrangeas and lots of color. Any suggestions?
My cottage gardens had dahlias, coneflowers, lilies, and any perennial that was on clearance at the garden center. My whole front yard was a cottage garden with paths through it. It was beautiful! I didn't grow roses, but I know they are popular with cottage gardens. I also had a few containers of blueberries and raspberries mixed in. I grew all my herbs there and artichokes too. I had beautiful hydrangeas too. You can do whatever you want with your garden. After I moved, the new owners cut down all the flowers and put in a lawn. I was horrified!

I want to try ginger. I have my brassicas started and will start the rest of the stuff at the end of March. I bought some short season tomatoes so I'm hoping they will fruit before it's winter. I can't plant outside until June and then the summer gets up into the hundreds. I'm going to try shade cloth for the tomatoes this year. It helps the chickens through the worst part of the summer. Yikes, I have so much to do!

@DharmaGirl your cottage garden sounds dreamy!

I relate strongly to the tragedy of seeing plants discarded. My own parents cut down multiple fruit trees at a house we moved into—and the reason? “You have to prune them.” 😳 First of all you *don’t* HAVE to prune them! Second… 😩

And when I was married we lived in a house that was in a neighborhood with lots of beautiful trees. Big properties without continuous fences meant wild animals and birds were abundant despite being near a busy road. A neighbor bladed about a quarter-acre of trees (he called them weeds!) and everything else growing to put in a horse corral. He had the horse for a few days before he was cited for breaking the zoning laws and then he moved so he could have his horse. The land was left bare and still is about fifteen years later 🙄

Anyway… I planted marjoram and stevia in pots. Got some lithops for some tiny pots I made in my ceramics class. Going to plant some sage and thyme seeds. And going back to the nursery to get pennyroyal and hyssop. I read that pennyroyal wards off mosquitoes and hyssop makes a good cough syrup.

8597FB0B-9EC0-4C9D-A7E1-4F36E0748746.jpeg
C33E443A-F2FB-42CA-A0B1-A9FF15491EB5.jpeg

This piece of ginger is taking off it already has a sprout on the top. Last year the green foliage came out the bottom first so this is cool to see it growing top and bottom. This is the best piece. The rest have just a little underneath 🤭I’m obsessed with growing ginger idk why maybe because it’s such good medicine?

Back